Thread: What if it really does matter?

Default What if it really does matter?

I guess this is someone's idea of a harp mandolin ...
    http://dayton.craigslist.org/msg/4595225266.html
    Last edited by mrmando; Jul-31-2014 at 12:00am.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What if it really does matter?

It looks like an eccentric mandolin to me. If there were a set of strings attached to the big non-scroll ... but there isn't. Assuming that's hollow, there might be some extra resonance produced, but otherwise, this appears to be a fanciful variation on the standard form. It's actually charming, in an odd duck kind of way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harmon Morgan.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	122105

Not sure what the thread title means or if it matters ... It's late, I'm calling it a night.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Another secret sorcerer weapon smuggled out of Middleearth.
    What if matter really does it...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

People often expect instruments called "harp" or "lyre" to have extra strings, and when they don't they often complain that the instruments are mislabeled. This has been the case throughout these instruments' history. Gregg Miner's harpguitars.net has more than you would EVER want to know about this topic, but suffice it to say they don't always have extra strings.

FWIW I do think the extra air volume made a difference in the harp instruments I have owned. Good or bad, couldn't really say (ear of the beholder), but different nonetheless.

5. The following members say thank you to delsbrother for this post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I like the look

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    ... It's actually charming, in an odd duck kind of way.
    Actually more of a tortoise head or maybe snail to me.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I'm sorry but that dog don't hunt.

Blog Entries

It is kinda cool looking. And you could put a really wide strap on it!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

You could put an eye out with that thing.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

it looks like someone unwrapped the scroll and stretched it out
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

Excellent find, Martin, and a bargain at half the price!!

I esp like the small piece of top wood that was added in order to make that bass horn as long as it is.

Hand made custom mandolin, built in 1995 by a man named HarmonMorgan. includes custom made, lined case. This mandolin has a spruce top, curly maple back, neck and head. open to possible trade for guitar of EV
    What is a "guitar of EV"?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Probably "guitar of equivalent value." Which could get interesting, if it's interpreted as "guitar of equivalent aesthetic value"...

Interesting that when Orville Gibson created the "F-model" silhouette, with the scroll and points, he kinda "licensed" subsequent builders to get experimental with body designs. You see a much more widespread and generally-accepted level of variation in mandolin body shapes, than you do, say, with acoustic guitars. Not that there aren't some experimental and non-standard acoustic guitar body shapes, but I haven't seen as much experimentation; most guitar builders, either large manufacturers or individual luthiers, tend to tinker with dimensions of the body, but not depart widely from the "standard" waisted double-bout box.

Mandolins, in contrast, are all over the lot, though the large majority seem to be the standard bowl-back, A-model, and F-model shapes. Guess that's one of the causes of MAS, since there are so many different kinds to choose from...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by delsbrother View Post
    People often expect instruments called "harp" or "lyre" to have extra strings, and when they don't they often complain that the instruments are mislabeled. This has been the case throughout these instruments' history. Gregg Miner's harpguitars.net has more than you would EVER want to know about this topic, but suffice it to say they don't always have extra strings.
    I don't see why you say that. His definition right up front goes thusly:

A guitar, in any of its accepted forms, with any number of additional "floating" unstopped strings that can accommodate individual plucking.
    The modern harp guitar must have at least one unfretted string lying off the main fretboard; these unfretted strings are played as an open string.
    The word "harp" is a specific reference to the unstopped open strings, and is not specifically a reference to the tone, pitch range, volume, silhouette similarity, construction, floor-standing ability, nor any other alleged "harp-like" properties.

This makes the existence of extra open strings necessary for the designation. So it may look like a harp mandolin, but not sound like one. Calling it that seems to me a bit of facile shorthand, but technically (if technicality obtains in this matter) misleading.

That said, a bit further down he goes into more detail, citing examples all over the map, including this one:

Definition 10. Harp guitar (American) Knutsen, 1895–1900’s. A "psuedo harp guitar," with a hollow "harp" arm, an extension of the upper bass-side bout, but utilizing no extra unstopped strings. Examples by several makers have been found, with Knutsen’s being the best known. Within the guitar family, these are a separate category, which I classify as "hollow-arm guitars."

OK, works for me. "Hollow-arm mandolin." But I don't think it really matters.

FWIW I do think the extra air volume made a difference in the harp instruments I have owned. Good or bad, couldn't really say (ear of the beholder), but different nonetheless.
    I expect so. I assume people who build instruments like this, with a larger or just differently shaped acoustic chamber, have some idea in mind. Whether or not they are successful depends on a few factors, and they won't be able to tell until it's completed. This may well be just the thing for certain uses.
    Last edited by journeybear; Jul-31-2014 at 11:42am.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Excellent find, Martin, and a bargain at half the price!!
    Indeed. At half the price I might be interested.

I said, "might!"

Perhaps "extra volume" or "extra volute," in keeping with the wee beastie's appearance.

It also says "Custom made case", well, DUH, that goes without saying, it would never fit in any other case made would it?

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I don't see why you say that. His definition right up front
    My point is there have long been instruments called "harp" or "lyre" that have NOT had extra strings. Gregg has pages and pages of organology to explain how these instruments fit into his world. But that doesn't change the fact that they existed with those names at their time of manufacture. Knutsen called ALL of his "hollow arm" ukes "harp" even though NONE of them had extra strings. IOW whether you agree or disagree with Gregg's definition, there is historical precedent.

Blog Entries

OK, fine. I'll take your word for it, because soon after I began looking through that site my eyes started glazing over. Also, I don't care enough, nor think this is worth either of us nor anyone else worrying about. Just seems to me an instrument with a hyphenated name (ie, one which is somehow a combination of two other instruments) ought to include intrinsic characters of each. This does not. And I'm a bit flummoxed why he would waver so regarding his own definitions. But that's just me. YMMV.