Thread: Hard Rock Mandolin

Default Hard Rock Mandolin

I've been playing the mandolin for about a year or so. As much as I love bluegrass, my soul lies with hard rock and metal. Are there any tabs or chord charts for songs like this? I'm also looking for a good electric mando to play 'em on. Thanks!

2. The following members say thank you to 8-at-a-time for this post:

Default Re: Hard Rock Mandolin

There's hardly any is there! I know I'm having to think and figure out my ol' faves...Fat Bottomed Girls sounds fun on a mando, and Bo Rhap, well...

Maybe youl could figure out some of the songs you like by getting a guitar chord book of the band or song you want and work from there.

What would be handy is if there was some kind of software that would make a mando tab out of a guitar tab...anyone know of any?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

You could look through this list and see if anything pops out at you. There's a fair amount of rock mandolin out there, not sure how hard it gets. I've been known to push the envelope myself, but since that band went belly-up, not so much, at the moment. You could take a look through some of the videos from The Real Malloys to see what I mean, though as I recall most of those aren't all that hard-rocking'. No tabs, of course, but maybe you'll get an idea of what rock mandolin might sound like.

Actually, I just took a quick spin through what's up at the facebook page and youtube channel that might work as hard rock, and there ain't that much that ain't lamer than we actually sounded. Besides, we were more into Americana, though we did get a bit rambunctious in our third sets. I don't see any of that up on the web, like "Choctaw Bingo" or "Snake Farm". This ain't too bad, though, more in the rocked-out blues mode. This is from one of our live recording dates, but it's just the live audio, so it's hard to hear well. For most of the song I'm just leaning on a chord fragment through distortion as a sort of foundation for the overall sound. And this is a pretty decent clip, part of the encore to what had been a pretty sedate show at a folk club. Guess we wanted to blow off some pent-up energy.

I used a MandoBird IV for a couple years, then stepped up to a Ryder. I like the single stringers so I can do some note-bending. My dream axe will have a whammy bar, though. Actually, two of 'em, one on both the mandolin and mandola necks.
    Last edited by journeybear; Jul-30-2014 at 2:06pm. Reason: looking for stuff, finding stuff
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I play metal on my solid bodied mandos , i have a book called metallica for the violin , which i enjoy playing on the mando , but it is not tab just notes on a staff, and you really need a 5 string to play them right. You also have to be able to read music , i am lucky i started playing violin in 6 grade and studied it for 7 years , went to a performing arts school so i can play and violin music on the mando , i also really like playing metal thru my octave 5 string mandos they get as low as the guitar

http://www.jimrichter.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/JimRichter

This should be a pretty good start with rock, blues, and what not. Lot of tab for Hendrix.
    Don't think you'll find death metal on his site, but you'll get the roots of hard rock.

9. The following members say thank you to tkdboyd for this post:

Will require a bit of work but this http://www.mandrum/forumdisplay.php?...lincafe.com/fo spreadsheet is easy to transpose guitar tab for octave mando.