Thread: Grand Targhee 2014...

Default Grand Targhee 2014...

Is anyone going to the music camp or the festival?
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Default Re: Grand Targhee 2014...

I'll be there (at both). look for the one that is slightly out of tune, 1/2 off beat, but smiling.

I'd be really interested in your view post festival and camp. I changed my mind at the last minute of booking and went for Swannanoa (three flights and a 16 hour journey time helped me decide). Have a good time though, I'm sure you will.

I'd also be interested in hearing how it is. I'd been eyeing it up for some time, but my work schedule wouldn't allow it. Hopefully it's in my future. bb

Back from Targhee Music Camp, what a blast! Since there's really not much info about it here on the Cafe I'll post my observations and experiences.

It's held at the Grand Targhee Ski Resort in Alta, WY....Driggs, ID is the closest town. The 2014 camp cost was $450. Meals and lodging was separate. If you get the camp rate it's pretty economical but the rooms are pretty sparse. There is a meal plan one could purchase but really, I'd just bring some food and eat at the grill that is on-site.

Getting there - roads are good and the nearby (90 min) airports are Idaho Falls and Jackson Hole.

Packing for Targhee - the base elevation is at 8000' so that means pack for every season. The night we got there it was 100 degrees and there is no air conditioning in the rooms. Overnight monsoonal rains began and continued off and on the entire week. So pack your shorts and flip flops as well as your ski parka and gloves. There was A LOT of walking up and down a very large hill to guitar classes so bring some good walking shoes and a light gig bag.

Lodging - no a/c, fridge, or microwave in the Targhee and Tewinot Lodges (Sioux Lodge does have a small fridge and micro). Ice machine is in basement of one building but you can buy ice at the little on site general store. A typical ski resort bar and grill and a full service restaurant is on site. Prices are not too bad for a resort. You are not close to Driggs so running to the local store is about 30 minutes down the hill - there is a small general store on site. The rooms in the lodge were small but had 2 queen beds and was clean. Walls are thin so bring earplugs and there are no elevators. There are two other buildings that are newer but really the lodge rooms were good, I was never in them anyway except to try and sleep a bit. Tent and RV camping is also available.

Meals - the camp offers a meal plan and on site dining is available. If you can I would pack a cooler and just bring something for breakfast and lunch and buy dinner on site. The meal plan was typical cafeteria style and I thought adequate. One works up quite a hunger going up and down the hills there.

Camp - great! Mon am thru thurs afternoon. Instructors are usually going to perform at the weekend festival. This year it was Dan Miller, Eli West, Grant Gordy, Greg Garrison, Roy Andrade, Jayme Stone, Jeff Austin, Joe Walsh, Danny Barnes, Ben Winship, Brittney Haas, Tom Murphy, Margaret Glaspy.....I may have missed a name or two. They were all very good. Primary classes and workshops were held every day. Instructor concerts and a band scramble was held at night. Thomas Sneed is the Camp Director and he, Ben Winship and Roy Andrade were most of New Reeltime Travelers. As usual all the music was great!

Lots of late night or was it early morning.......jamming and beverages but everyone was very respectful of quiet areas....mostly.

On Thursday morning the weather finally broke and we rode to the top of the mountain for a jam. The view was magnificent, I'll post some pictures when I get them uploaded. Grand Teton peak was in the distance - elevation almost 14,000'

A great experience, I did guitar there but sat in on a mandolin workshop with Ben Winship, Joe Walsh, Tom Murphy, Thomas Sneed and Eli West where they played all the mandolin family instruments. A. Lawrence Smart was the camp luthier and he brought several mandolas.

Jazzjune18 and I never formally met but I'm sure we crossed paths, there were about 90 campers. If you stay for the weekend BG festival the campers get to play the camp song on stage Friday night, this year they were opening for Tim O'Brian which meant Nickel Creek opened for the campers.....pretty cool.

If I think of more I'll add another post. A great camp and I already have it on the calendar for next year.
    Last edited by bigskygirl; Aug-09-2014 at 10:52pm. Reason: Add camping info

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigskygirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Pearce View Post
    I'd be really interested in your view post festival and camp. I changed my mind at the last minute of booking and went for Swannanoa (three flights and a 16 hour journey time helped me decide). Have a good time though, I'm sure you will.
    Hi Tony, I wanted to add that there were two couples from the UK and a guy from Bavaria.

I also wanted to add that although it's billed as a bluegrass camp it was really more newgrass, old time music with lots of singing.

Thanks for all the terrific info! Sounds like a great time.

I am trying to get to 1 workshop/camp per year, and this is on my radar screen. tls