Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BlueChip picks

Default BlueChip picks

I'd love one, but they cost almost as much as the mandolin they'd be played on...anyone else think they're mentally overpriced?

Default Re: BlueChip picks

Paul,
    They are worth every penny. They probably would make your mandolin sound even better.

A Blue Chip pick costs no where NEAR as much as a good mandolin (or a violin bow).

35 dollars for the medium between your fingers and the strings just doesnt sound like that much to me. As the the above poster noted, look at violin bows, a good bow is worth every penny. So is a good pick, bluechips are great imo. I have a CT55, gives a nice thick loud tone and doesnt wear out.

The pick is one of the most important things as far as tone goes. If you can spend a thousand dollars on a mandolin, you shouldnt have a problem spending 35 on a good pick. Of course you may not like bluechip picks, bluechip lets you return it if you dont like it.,

The reason it cost so much is because the material theyre made from is patented (not patented by bluechip) and very expensive. Theyre not just trying to rip you off

5. The following members say thank you to LongBlackVeil for this post:

Sorry to be a curmudgeon, but why does this topic come up over and over again? It's a market price. It's only so high because we're willing to pay it. And I'm definitely willing to pay it. I've used exactly one pick, a Blue Chip engraved with my name, for something like 4 years now.
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Amanda Gregg For This Useful Post:

Tried a bluechip, and didn't like it. Love the wegen's.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBills View Post
    I'd love one, but they cost almost as much as the mandolin they'd be played on...anyone else think they're mentally overpriced?
    You know, there are a lot of great picks available these days. Blue Chips are made from a very high-priced raw stock, hence the price. I really like them for guitar and mandolin. Sometimes it takes experience to gain knowledge of "tone" and how to achieve it from the instrument and a plectrum. Good luck in your experiences.
    ..... f5joe

10. The following members say thank you to f5joe for this post:

you should try a primetone though. ive never tried one myself but ive heard theyre somewhat similar. the primetone was made to somewhat cop the bluechip but at a lower price point

12. The following members say thank you to LongBlackVeil for this post:

sgrexa 

I'd have to agree with the positive comments about the BlueChip picks. I've had 1 CT55 for over 3 years. It gets a ton of use and it's in about the same condition it was when I first received it. I do have a spare just in case but...(knock, knock). If the cost of a BlueChip is prohibitive then try a Jim Dunlop 513P15 Primetone 1.5mm Triangle Sculpted Plectra Guitar Picks, 3-Pack. The 3-pack that I bought online cost less than $7. This pick is the closest to a CT55 that I've run across in size and playability. It's NOT a BC pick but you may want to give it a try.
    "I yam what I yam"

Blog Entries

I'd love one, but they cost...
    And last a lifetime.

I bought a small bag of grocerys yesterday for about the same $$ as a BC and I'll have to do it again in a day or so.

Taylor Swift lover/fan Cue Zephyr's Avatar

Granted, the prices are a little tough, but that's only because we're used to buying 12 picks in a pack for like $4 or whatever the price on those is.

I already own some Gravity, some V-Picks and some Wegen. The Wegen picks are my favorites because they play the smoothest out of everything. It's due to their bevel and Blue Chip bevels picks also.

Would I want one? Yes please, I'd probably get two - one for the guitar and one for the mandolin (most likely the CT55 ).

I've read somewhere (Acoustic Guitar Forum) that one panel of the material, measuerd 10"x10"x¼" costs about $4k. So that explains why they're so pricey.

Also found a link where one can purchase the material: http://www.polymerplastics.com/performance_vespel.shtml

16. The following members say thank you to Cue Zephyr for this post:

I guess, if I'm ever in the situation where I can afford £2,000 for a mandolin, I won't be all that bothered about £30 on a pick, but, as I only paid £100 for my very lovely Ozark, and £10 for a set of strings, I'm not really willing to pay that amount on a teeny weeny piece of stuff to pick at it with...I quite like my dunlop 2.0mm stubby....although I wouldn't mind winning that V pick comp....

[edit] the Ozark was at a vastly reduced price btw...

I guess, if I'm ever in the situation where I can afford £2,000 for a mandolin, I won't be all that bothered about £30 on a pick, but, as I only paid £100 for my very lovely Ozark, and £10 for a set of strings, I'm not really willing to pay that amount on a teeny weeny piece of stuff to pick at it with...I quite like my dunlop 2.0mm stubby....although I wouldn't mind winning that V pick comp....

[edit] the Ozark was at a vastly reduced price btw...
    That's best for the situation you're in. Still, it's about tone. We each have to find our own way there.
    ..... f5joe

It is a nice pick that some of us like (not all). If you'd love one then save your pennies and get one. Worst come to worse, if you hate it you can prob sell it for close to what you paid for it. Or buy one used from the classifieds when they come up.

"mentally overpriced"???? what does that mean?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post

Sorry, british idiom, it means...when you look at something you yell "HOW MUCH!!??"

I've tried a few shapes and sizes. I just picked up a new one at Grey Fox. I think TPR-40. 1 of the 3 corners is more rounded.
    The proprietor told me he threw one in a vat of molten lead and it came out the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    It is a nice pick that some of us like (not all). If you'd love one then save your pennies and get one. Worst come to worse, if you hate it you can prob sell it for close to what you paid for it. Or buy one used from the classifieds when they come up.

Again, you can also return it if you don't like it.

It's funny, I almost returned my ct55. I was on the fence about it, but for some reason after playing with it for awhile, it's like I learned how to use it and it became the only pick I use now on my mandolin. You can really punch through the strings with this pick

Haven't played a BlueChip, but they are compared to tortoise picks, often. About 10 years ago, I bought a tortoise pick from an old bluegrass guy who comes to the guitar shows. It wasn't cheap, but I wanted to find out what everyone was talking about. WELL, the look of it and the sound it makes are completely different than a plastic or nylon pick. Basically, it makes any acoustic instrument sound better and that makes it more fun to play and hear.

I should clarify, it wasn't me, err, a friend, yes, a friend of a friend, I really barely knew the person who bought the pick, honest, officer! It wasn't me.....................................

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post

I should clarify, it wasn't me, err, a friend, yes, a friend of a friend, I really barely knew the person who bought the pick, honest, officer! It wasn't me.....................................
    You could always claim it as a heirloom made before the trade in tortoise shell was criminalised... )

Quote Originally Posted by biologyprof View Post
    If the cost of a BlueChip is prohibitive then try a Jim Dunlop 513P15 Primetone 1.5mm Triangle Sculpted Plectra Guitar Picks, 3-Pack. The 3-pack that I bought online cost less than $7. This pick is the closest to a CT55 that I've run across in size and playability. It's NOT a BC pick but you may want to give it a try.
    Not trying to nit-pick but...I believe the pick that is closest to the CT-55 (in thickness) offered by Dunlop is the Primetone 1.4 triangle.

Blog Entries

Never heard of 'em.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cue Zephyr View Post
    Granted, the prices are a little tough, but that's only because we're used to buying 12 picks in a pack for like $4 or whatever the price on those is.

I already own some Gravity, some V-Picks and some Wegen. The Wegen picks are my favorites because they play the smoothest out of everything. It's due to their bevel and Blue Chip bevels picks also.

Would I want one? Yes please, I'd probably get two - one for the guitar and one for the mandolin (most likely the CT55 ).

I've read somewhere (Acoustic Guitar Forum) that one panel of the material, measuerd 10"x10"x¼" costs about $4k. So that explains why they're so pricey.

Also found a link where one can purchase the material: http://www.polymerplastics.com/performance_vespel.shtml
    I priced the stuff once it's not that much,more like $1400 but it was not 1/4" --much thinner and I think the piece was 12" sq. When you divide the piece by 144 ,and that is a big assumption that 1 sq inch makes one pick, it comes to about $10 apiece for the material. Then you make it,then you market it(and that can be costly.) It's likely that the maker can make a nice living at this but I doubt he drives a Tesla! Also it wasn't called Vespal (I have some kind of mental block to remember the materials name)and was manufactured by Saint Gobain not Dupont---there was when I looked only one distributor in the US

Always Improving Cecily_Mandoliner's Avatar

I am glad I bought mine! It makes my mandolin ring so much clearer, and I have more control over the volume. And, the pick stays in place and doesn't slip away. Mine's engraved, too. And, I earned it! I made it the carrot on the stick to encourage my improvement.
    Weber Bitterroot F-Style Buckskin (2011)
    J Bovier A5-T
    Kentucky KM272 Vintage
    Trinity College Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, and Mandola
    Luna Guitars Passionflower Acoustic-Electric
    Taylor GSmini Guitar
    Ibanez Mini-dreadnought Tenor Guitar
    Gold Tone Cripple Creek Irish Tenor Banjo
    Klos Mandolin (on order)

I bought a TPR 50 about three years ago. I use it everyday and it still looks like new.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

I thought 35 bucks was steep for a pick too. But after trying a buddies out I ordered my own to the thickness and shape i liked. And unlike the growing desire for new mandos of all shapes and sizes, my PAS (pick acquisition syndrome) is completely cured. I got the only pick I will ever need.