Thread: which pick up to use?

Default which pick up to use?

i know this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but i really dont like the sound of those underbridge piezo pickups, so im getting a soundhole one. any ideas on whats best? the soundhole is only 70mm so thats ruling out most guitar type pickups. any help would be arrpeciated. ps its a fixed pin bridge Buchanan zouk

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Default Re: which pick up to use?

Garry - what's your pickup? I ask because of all the undersaddle pickups I've heard, Headways are, IMHO, bloody good. When we had our new PA, we put my zouk thru it with nothing but straight to the desk. It sounded amazing.

you might consider K&Ks too (not undersaddle). I'm not convinced of soundhole ones, but that's my lack of experience.
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

I'd try clip-on mics. For me (and yeah, it's a mandocello, so that might make a difference) the only way I can get the full tone with all the assorted richness and sustain is through a microphone. You have all that air volume, you want to grab that sound as it's so unique. A pic-up will only pick up the vibrations of the top itself, not the associated sound, so while it can be accurate, it's also thin.

Here's a plus one for the Headway active pickup....(yes it's piezo and under saddle....but "not as we know it"!)

http://www.headwaymusicaudio.com/product/he4bz-feq/

(NFI!!)

I have one installed in my Buchanan OM and it is the best, most natural sounding of all the pickups I use (I have K&K, Fishman Humbucker and Schattens too)...can plug straight into desk with no preamp and sounds excellent...

Yup. I was amazed when I finally got it into a decent PA. It does not sound like a normal piezo. I just wanted to stand out the front playing!! Plus, it is, after all, the same instrument as Garry's....

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    My band's website

A soundhole pickup will be magnetic, although there are a few hybrids that also use an internal mic. If you don't like the sound of an under-saddle or inside contact pickup (I don't either!), then you may not like the sound of a magnetic pickup either. They are nice for bass response; you'll get a powerful tone in the low end. But they don't sound very acoustic and natural in the high frequencies. I have a 4-string mandola with a humbucker pickup mounted to the end of the fretboard, but that's sort of a "jazz mandola" where the sound doesn't need to be 100% acoustic.

The other problem would be mounting in a small soundhole like that. If you have enough vertical clearance, a Lace Dobro Sensor pickup might work, placed on top of the soundboard right at the end of the fretboard. I don't know if there's enough room for that. If you do find a way to use a magnetic soundhole pickup, I strongly recommend using a preamp/DI on a short cable to the instrument, something like the LR Baggs PADI to match impedance. That will help a little with the high frequency tone.

If it were my instrument, I'd use a clip-on mini condenser mic, unless your stage levels are unusually loud. The DPA 4099 would be the best choice, partly because it sounds great but it also has a carpenter jack mounting system that will work well on that Zouk, and shouldn't damage the finish.

I use a DPA 4099 on my Weber OM, and since it's an F-hole model, I have the mic clamped to the lower treble side bout, with the mic aimed at the bottom of the F-hole. With a round soundhole like your Zouk, I'd mount the 4099 the same way I do on guitars -- clamped to the upper left (bass side) bout near the neck join, and aimed down at the area between the sound hole and the outside edge. Not aimed directly into the sound hole. That mounting location looks a little odd for stage presentation -- it's not as invisible as an internal pickup -- but the sound is amazing, and that location keeps the mic out of the way of your picking hand.

I love the Cool pick thin. It has the abrasive spot on both sides to keep it from slipping out of hand. Thumb pick: Fred Kelly orange with the narrow blade- great sounding.

K & K Definity. Having trouble keeping the Jack in place with the Velcro stuff. Sometimes the weight of the cord pulls it right off. Having it installed internally.

Quote Originally Posted by luthierseye View Post
    I love the Cool pick thin. It has the abrasive spot on both sides to keep it from slipping out of hand. Thumb pick: Fred Kelly orange with the narrow blade- great sounding.
    Yeah I thought he meant picks too initially...

My band's website

This:

http://www.b-band.com/index.php?mact...01returnid=151

Plus this:

http://www.b-band.com/index.php?mact...01returnid=151

Non-piezo electret condenser material. Sounds great.

thanks guys. considering the headway, seems to be the best option. i would prefer to mic up but in pub settings it isnt practical. thanks for the help!