Thread: My new Kentucky KM-505...

Default My new Kentucky KM-505...

I got a call from a friend who knew of someone selling their Kentucky mandolin for $300.00. I've been looking for a beater as my only other mandolin is my 1994 Gibson F-5L and I sometimes stress over taking it camping or on other various excursions. I went to check out the mandolin not expecting much but was rather surprised how good it sounded. It turned out to be a KM-505 and for $300 bucks, I think I got a helluva deal.

Granted it needs to be set up properly...the bridge was set as low as possible and the action was still too high, like 4/32nds at the 12th fret. The nut is also too high as well. I spent a couple of hours sanding down the bridge and worked on the nut a little bit but without the proper files for notching the nut, I called it quits for the night. I've got a luthier friend that can do a more proper set up for me.

$300 bucks for a KM-505...not bad, huh?

Default Re: My new Kentucky KM-505...

I picked up & played a KM505 in one of the music stores in Manchester UK just out of curiosity, & i was amazed at how good it sounded. I'd read a lot about it's big brother,the KM900 & i wondered just how much better the KM900 could possibly be,the sound of the 505 was that good !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Nice buy Robert. I have a 505 which I intended to take out and about to keep my F safe but having had it a few years woud be heartbroken if anything happened to it. A very sweet tone and even compared to my other Kentuckys it is the easiest instrument to play- lovely shaped neck and hardly any pressure needed to fret. That deep colour is very attractive too - they got it right on this model for sure but then I don't have any complaints about Kentuckys in general.

Blog Entries

Nothing but raves about that one! I love the dark stain color and the gold hardware, too. Highly recommended by many. What a great addition to your collection. Enjoy!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"