Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharing: Don McClean, Judy Collins and a New Kentucky

Blog Entries

Smile Sharing: Don McClean, Judy Collins and a New Kentucky

Just bought my new mando-- a KM-1000-- while I wait for it to arrive: My wife, who does all the driving due to my Parkinson's, is taking me to see Don McClean and Judy Collins tonight. This is a rare night out for me and she has to work hard to get me there. I can walk, but not well, so she has to push me in my wheelchair and it is quite a hassle for her. She is the greatest! This concert and my coming mandolin-- what a great day this is. Couldn't help but share.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lflngpicker For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Sharing: Don McClean, Judy Collins and a New Kentucky

Excellent news Dan.

Enjoy the moment -- it's all we have.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

4. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks Jacat! I love cats by the way. Your avatar brings a smile to my face. My little Chester passed at 17 in October. Bless you.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Your wife sounds like a real saint!!!
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

Blog Entries

G7MOF, Yes, she is absolutely! Understands my limitations and my MAS.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Thanks Jacat! I love cats by the way. Your avatar brings a smile to my face. My little Chester passed at 17 in October. Bless you.
    Sorry to hear about Chester.

That's Papa in the guitar case. He turned 17 in March. At the time of the photo he weighed in at 21 lbs., thus the amount of space he occupied in the case. These days he has slimmed down to about 14 lbs. or so.

Blog Entries

He's amazing and great looking cat! Love each day and the coming years with him.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Blog Entries

A long, long time ago
    I can still remember how that music used to make me smile...

My all-time favorite song. Enjoy!!

11. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Blog Entries

That is a great song, Mark! Wow, and And I Love You So and Vincent are great ones. Who Knows Where the Wind Blows by Judy Collins is also amazing.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Congrats Dan!

Have a great time!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

14. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

He's amazing and great looking cat! Love each day and the coming years with him.
    Wait til I get home tonight and tell him he was on the Cafe! He's already a prima donna anyway.

Dan, there's a thread on here somewhere about people's cats sitting in their mandolin cases (with many photos). See if you can do a search for it, I bet you'd really enjoy it.

16. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks Nick and Jaycat! Jaycat, I will check it out. Chester was such a great friend to me. What a sweet guy he was-- there is a special place in the afterlife for animals. Take care.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Don McClean & Judy Collins on one show - that's good enough for anybody. 'Houses' is one of my very favourite songs that Judy sings,& i could listen to Don Mc. sing the local phone book.
    You love cats - same here. Absolutely wnderful animals, & according to recent behavioural research into cats,far,far more intelligent than they've been given credit for in the past. Our 2,Russell (6 year old 'English Shorthair) & Dylan (3 year old Turkish 'Van') are a blessing on our home. Russell got out of our house & went missing for 11 days when he was 5 months, old & were were devastated.As it turned out,he hadn't gone far. We knew he'd been in our back yard when we saw ''Pawprints in the snow''.
    We'd left the gate open, & as it had snowed overnight,we saw the prints. We were stood looking out into the yard,when a little furry face peered around the gate,so we went out & brought him back inside. Apart from being underweight he seemed ok & after a check up at the vets,he was given a clean bill of health,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dylan & Russell.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	121941
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

19. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Blog Entries

Hi Ivan, Thanks for the great song and the video is a nice touch. I know how devastating it is too almost lose a dear cat and I am glad it worked out with Russell. He is blessed and blessing you as well, along with Dylan. I miss ol' Chester (black with green eyes), along with his little sister, a black Lab named Jamaica. They both left us last fall. I am working through it and the mandolins and the M.C. are a big help. Don and Judy were incredible. Hardly have missed a step. Don is 69 and Judy 75. Other than Judy stopping to think through the lyrics once or twice, her voice and energy were incredible. She did a great job of strumming her 12 string Martin and played some mean piano as well. Don finished with American Pie and the curtain call was Vincent. He played what appeared to be a Martin D40. Great band, too. Thanks Ivan... good to talk with you.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Blog Entries

That is a great song, Mark! Wow, and And I Love You So and Vincent are great ones. Who Knows Where the Wind Blows by Judy Collins is also amazing.
    Dan I think you mean "Who knows where the time goes"? That was Judy's big hit -- but the song was written by Sandy Denny in the early 1960's or late 1950's I believe. Sandy died in 1978, much much too soon at only 31 -- she was a wonderful singer and song writer.

But the song you mentioned, "Who Knows Where the Wind Blows" is a great one too it is a song with a civil war based theme written by Tommy Sands. Did Judy sing that?

There is also a wonderful song titled "Who knows how the wind blows" Don't know who wrote that.

By the way to compete the circle I am Don McClean fan too! When I was in the Army in the early 1970's I dated a girl from Baltimore -- she claimed to be Don McClean's ex-GF-- don't know if it was true or not -- but she could not sing but she sure was cute!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I lost almost all my vision and some brain function from a stroke about ten years ago and as soon as I was out of the hospital I bought a mandolin I have been enjoying it ever since as well as my various other instruments. I have a wife like yours. Much nicer than I deserve.

Blog Entries

Bernie, Yes, she sang Who Knows Where the Time Goes last night and it was phenomenal! Thanks for clarifying the song,too. Interesting story about the woman who was Don McClean's GF. That is quite interesting. What a small world it really is, Bernie.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bart mcneil View Post
    I lost almost all my vision and some brain function from a stroke about ten years ago and as soon as I was out of the hospital I bought a mandolin I have been enjoying it ever since as well as my various other instruments. I have a wife like yours. Much nicer than I deserve.
    Hello Bart, Thanks for sharing your personal story. I am very sorry you had to go through all of that and the accompanying losses. Parkinson's has given me appreciation for others who face disabling conditions. We find a way, don't we my friend? These mandolins are a great source of motivation as well as enjoyment. Thanks again for letting me know. I am a bit sore today from falling in the theater as I got up to leave, but people were there to help get me up. Sometimes my feet literally stick to the floor and suddenly I am falling.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Blog Entries

Bernie, Yes, she sang Who Knows Where the Time Goes last night and it was phenomenal! Thanks for clarifying the song,too. Interesting story about the woman who was Don McClean's GF. That is quite interesting. What a small world it really is, Bernie.
    Yes very small world. Funny thing is I still remember her name -- wonder if the story was true and where she is now. American Pie is an all time favorite song of mine don't hear it enough because it is 9 minutes long!!!

I was a big Buddy Holly fan and I was living in Fargo, ND in February of 1959. If Buddy had only made a safe landing at Hector Field (now Fargo-Moorhead International Airport) which was only 6 miles from our farm we would have seen him perform along with the Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens that next night in Moorhead, MN (twin city to Fargo). So when I found out what "the day the music died" really was, it became an anthem to me and McClean became a hero -- so that makes the girl friend thing a little eerie?

Happy you guys are able to continue your mandolin -- often dread what it would like if something happened to take it away from me.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

All the more committed to playing it, if you know what I mean, Bernie. Wow, you came so close to seeing those guys perform the day after the crash. How strange! I am like you a big Buddy H fan.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Well,that's 3 of us Buddy Holly fans on here !. After all these years he's still my favourite 'Rock 'n Roller',although i have to say that Ritchie Valens singing 'La Bamba' totally blows me away.I almost got thrown out of a pub back in my teens for playing it over & over on a pub Juke box. S'pose after a 100 times or so it did get a bit much !,
    Ivan
    PS - I'm waiting for the song "Who knows why the wind blows" - dedicated to the Heinz Baked Bean Co. !
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

28. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Blog Entries

Bernie and Ivan, Don McClean not only wrote and recorded the song that is such a tribute to Buddy Holly, but he covers several of B. Holly's songs in his live performance. There were at least three songs of Holly's Friday. "Everyday" and "Peggy Sue Got Married" were the two I can think of, off the top of my head. He is more of a rocker that I would have thought, as he comes off as folk. He is more country and rock than I realized from his hit songs I was familiar with prior.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Blog Entries

Bernie and Ivan, Don McClean not only wrote and recorded the song that is such a tribute to Buddy Holly, but he covers several of B. Holly's songs in his live performance. There were at least three songs of Holly's Friday. "Everyday" and "Peggy Sue Got Married" were the two I can think of, off the top of my head. He is more of a rocker that I would have thought, as he comes off as folk. He is more country and rock than I realized from his hit songs I was familiar with prior.
    If you add in "Heartbeat" that would do if for me!!! Can you imagine what Buddy would have done had he lived? The sad thing is many rock and roll talents burned themselves out due to their on careless and thoughtless life style including alcohol and drugs -- Buddy was none of that he just had bad luck.
    Bernie
    ____

31. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

Oops ! - another double post via. editing ?????.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

There's been lots of speculation over the years regarding what Buddy Holly might have acheived.In the DVD - "The Real Buddy Holly Story",Jerry (Ivan) Allison says that BH was heading more towards producing rather than performing himself.He did produce the first recordings by Waylon Jennings in the Fall of '58,but there's no reason to believe that BH couldn't have done both,
    Ivan
    For ref. - http://www.greatesthits106.com/Greed...2909?pid=54130
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

34. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post: