Thread: Gibson F5G vs Gibson F5L

Default Gibson F5G vs Gibson F5L

Both marked Fern ? I don't quite understand this, I been looking for a Gibson and have found a few really nice ones .
    Best/j
    MAS Fund.......Up and running again

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Default Re: Gibson F5G vs Gibson F5L

The Gibson F5L was the company's first foray back to Loar specs for mandolin production. The F5L came out in 1978, was championed and spearheaded by Roger Siminoff. You can read about it here: http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/pub...s_001217.shtml

The F5L is more closer to a post-Loar Fern in spec, and when Gibson moved mandolin production to Nashville under Charlie Derrington's leadership, the model continued to be offered with updated Loar specs (Dove-Tail neck joint, flat fingerboard, etc)

The Gibson F5G was apparently introduced during the Carlson/Weber Gibson Montana era for mandolins sometime around 1988-89, and apparently was a "econo" offering to boost sales (ie unbound back, peghead, fingerboard, and dark finish. In short . . . no frills.)
    You can read about that one here: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-Steve-Carlson
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

Thanks DataNick, really interesting history, I just bought a F5L I'm anxious to see how good it really is.
    Best

5. The following members say thank you to Iron for this post:

Correction I just thought I bought a Gibson seller called me this morning and apologized for telling me it was Charlie Derrington signed and Refunded my money seems like an elderly gentleman that made an honest mistake.
    SO..........MAS is still up and running.
    Best

The F-5G is not a fern is it, at least I haven`t seen any with a fern inlay, maybe a special order , but then again I don`t go around to all of the music stores anymore to see what is out there since I don`t have MAS at this time...I know that the F-5L name was later changed to "Fern" because Charlie found that people confused the "L" to mean Loar specs when in fact there was some different dimentions being used, close but Charlie said the Master Models were closer to the Loar specs...

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    The F-5G is not a fern is it, at least I haven`t seen any with a fern inlay, maybe a special order , but then again I don`t go around to all of the music stores anymore to see what is out there since I don`t have MAS at this time...I know that the F-5L name was later changed to "Fern" because Charlie found that people confused the "L" to mean Loar specs when in fact there was some different dimentions being used, close but Charlie said the Master Models were closer to the Loar specs...

Willie
    You're correct Willie!

The F5G is not a Fern; it was intended as a "no frills" option to the F5L (Fern) during the Carlson/Weber era. Apparently Bruce Weber came up with the 'G' designation, which is simply for "Gibson".

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    You're correct Willie!

The F5G is not a Fern; it was intended as a "no frills" option to the F5L (Fern) during the Carlson/Weber era. Apparently Bruce Weber came up with the 'G' designation, which is simply for "Gibson".
    Frankly, the F5G should have been called the F5 "studio" if Gibson was ever consistent with its terms.

"Studio" in the past has meant, for les pauls, basses, and the L5, simply, no appointments or inlay /decoration, de minimus binding, plain wood and usually a dark back stain-ie to be heard but not seen.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    Frankly, the F5G should have been called the F5 "studio" if Gibson was ever consistent with its terms.

"Studio" in the past has meant, for les pauls, basses, and the L5, simply, no appointments or inlay /decoration, de minimus binding, plain wood and usually a dark back stain-ie to be heard but not seen.
    Sounds logical Steve, however either Mr. Weber was unaware of this or in the final analysis he & Mr. Carlson felt F5G was good enough. Seems to add credibility to the varying degrees of standardization (or lack of consistency) in Gibson serial numbers and naming conventions over the years...

11. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post: