Thread: Help remembering name/artist of song

Default Help remembering name/artist of song

It's an older country tune sung from a man's perspective. He is in a bar, I believe, and is reflecting on some women in the bar, he ackowledges their qualities in the song but then states that they can't do _________ like his wife/long-time partner can. Fill in the blank with any list of practical, homesteading qualities and skills. Does this song ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks

Default Re: Help remembering name/artist of song

I remember it clear as a bell... but can't remember its title.

Blog Entries

heck of a first post

Is there a prize?

1. There are uncounted numbers of country songs with this or a similar theme. Maybe someone will hit on it, probably not.

2. If you can remember a single phrase from the song, "she can't comfort me when I'm sad" or whatever, do a Google search on it. You may have to plow through several pages of hits, but I've found pretty obscure songs that way. Trying to find a song by stating its "plot" doesn't play to the strengths of search engines.

I came up with lyrics to a song I once knew, Blue Mountain, by remembering the single phrase "dance all night with the Mormon girls" and searching on it. Even a snippet of the lyrics can sometimes land you the right answer.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Might be "Almost Persuaded", a great song from the 70`s...."She had ruby red lips and eyes that would tempt any man, I look into her eyes and I saw it, the reflection of my wedding band"...Might not be the one that you are looking for but it came to mind when you asked...The artist`s name slips my memory at this time...

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Might be "Almost Persuaded", a great song from the 70`s...."She had ruby red lips and eyes that would tempt any man, I look into her eyes and I saw it, the reflection of my wedding band"...Might not be the one that you are looking for but it came to mind when you asked...The artist`s name slips my memory at this time... Willie
    Conway Twitty, one of my favorite singers.

As far as the OP it reminds me of like 20 songs, but I grew up listening to old country. First one that came to my mind was the song "Old School" by John Conlee.
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

Oh, he's in a bar -- that narrows it down.

Is it "Never Hit Your Mother With A Great Big Stick (It'll Make A Bad Impression On Her Mind)"?
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

8. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Thank you for your support and for your help. None of the songs mentioned are the one and I wish I could even remember one line to search--I think there is a line about patching pants or sewing buttons or something but I can't think of it. I will keep racking my brain!

Mike.. it was David Houston, at least that is who I remember doing it, a lot of songs got recorded by a lot of performers so maybe Conway did do it also...

Charlie Pride had one that went: "She's the mother of my children, I'm the rock she leans on, so thank you but no thank you I'll be leaving alone."
    It has some of the ideas you are suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Mike.. it was David Houston, at least that is who I remember doing it, a lot of songs got recorded by a lot of performers so maybe Conway did do it also...
    Yeah I looked it up and it appears that every single person that has ever stepped on a stage has recorded "Almost Persuaded". Here is Conway throwing in his recording http://youtu.be/D-k1i9zNWJE
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

Mike...Thanks for that web site, a lot of good songs listed there on the righthand side of the page, I spent a good while listening to some of them, "The Image Of Me" is one of my favorites along with "All I have To Offer You Is Me",

Thanks again....Willie