Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pick Size: Guitar v. Mandolin

Default Re: Pick Size: Guitar v. Mandolin

its gotten to the point that I am able to use anything, other than a too thin, floppy pick.

I tend to use 346 and very thick for mando
    and 351 heavy for guitar

varying points, almost always sharp for guitar, but sometimes rounded for mandolin

but, I have no issues using either shape on either instrument

usually its about the type of attack, and precision, the latter sometimes merits a 351 shape for me if im playing fast fiddle tunes on mando, or doing jazz or rock blues, etc on guitar. I don't know why, but it seems my fingertips are closer to the strings and I may be able to better feel exactly where I am, and, choke up a bit with less excess pick-not sure why I sometimes have the preference. I play fiddle tunes a lot with my BC and proplec 346s too.

I am not sure if the larger shape is less work to hold. There have been times after 3 hours playing a gig that my hand is tired and grip gets wobbly and im grateful for the larger size

BC CT55 and TAD 45 for mandolin, BC TD40 for rhythm guitar.
    Lennie Lowery
    Kentucky KM-1500
    The Loar LM-700
    J Bovier A5 Special
    MK Dragonfly Flame Custom

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JMpicsStamp.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	121874
    Hey Ed,

What kind of tone/volume do you get with that postage stamp? Do "forever" stamps last longer?

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

4. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Jim 

Used to use a different pick but now I use the same Blue Chip TP40 for both.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I use a jazzmando V-Pick for mando, occassionally a Dunlop, or a Fender heavy.

For guitar, I use fingers, or banjo picks. If I use a guitar pick, I'll take the thinner picks, like a Fender heavy. but it's usually fingers.

My Blue Chip on both instruments.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Fender mediums for guitar. Thin picks are too weak for me and Heavy picks are too stiff for guitar. I used to play mandolin with Mediums too, but no longer once I used a heavy pick. The response out of my mandolin increased greatly with a thicker pick.

I now use Dawg picks on mando. One I 'customized' with a grinder to get a sharper point. I might switch it up and try something else soon, based on some people's preferences above.
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

I have different pick choices for different mandolins .. 346 'wankel' triangles and Dawg are the main 2. styles ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I use the kind we're not allowed to talk about. A large triangle one for guitar, don't flatpick much, and a smaller dawg style with a point, for the mandolin.

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SincereCorgi View Post
    I use a BC CT55 (a fat triangle shape) on mandolin, tenor guitar, and conventional guitar. I could probably find better picks if I wanted to micro-manage (i.e. Wegen gypsy jazz pick for jazz rhythm guitar), but the CT55 is versatile enough to make me happy.
    Me too, for the most part. I have a few others (both BC and Wegen), but they're all the same TAD/CT55 shape.

I only started playing mando a month ago, but any thick piece of celluloid from my guitar bag works well. 1.5mm, for the most part. I like the weird offbrands that I find in my local store's bargain bin. Alice and New York Pro look purty and get the job done. I've reshaped some of these to be closer to a Dunlop Jazz III, and they work well, but I mostly use the stock pick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    I can't stand anything but a medium pick when playing guitar, and can't stand anything lighter than about a 1.5 mm pick when playing mandolin.
    I am of a like mind. The stiffer picks for the mandolin, and a medium pick for guitar.

I need at least 1 mm and preferably thicker for mandolin. These stiffer picks don't seem to do well on guitar. I don't want any of my arm energy to translate into pick flexing. It should all transmit through to string flexing.

For guitar I use a medium Fender pick. The strings flex easier, and the small pick flex I get with the mediums seems to be part of the overall tone. I am just a beginner on guitar however, and as I progress I am sure to get more discerning and perhaps something else will become my preference.

The exception is a very thick Dugain horn pick that I like for guitar but is useless on mandolin.

I also think a guitar is more foregiving and it seems a bigger difference in picks is required to make an audible difference in tone - than on the mandolin. Maybe its the size, or the tension, or something. Perhaps my lack of guitar ear.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

What's a guitar?
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

I use small jazz teardrop picks in the thinnest gauge that the store has - .38 or .60 mm (iirc) for guitar and mandola (and tenor banjo and tenor guitar).

I keep a few bigger picks around for bass guitar and for forgetful friends, and I'm experimenting with them on mandola (which I've only been playing a short time anyway). But I'll probably be back to the usual small thin ones soon.

It's funny that I prefer the small thin picks for the same reasons other players say they prefer big thick ones - speed and low noise.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I use a dunlop delrin 0.96 mm on both i hear that most people think it is slipery and dont like them , but i have played with them for years
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6