Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pick Size: Guitar v. Mandolin

Default Pick Size: Guitar v. Mandolin

For those of you who play both instruments, do you use the same size pick for each, or do you use a smaller pick for guitar and a larger for the mandolin? Thanks!

Default Re: Pick Size: Guitar v. Mandolin

I use a Wegen Triangle 1.4 mm pick for both mandolin and guitar.

I use the same pick for mandolin and guitar, which until recently, has been a custom made Wegen TF180 1.8mm triangle shape. However, I just started using the new Dunlop Primetone sculpted 1.5mm. It sounds unbelievable on mandolin and guitar.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I use the same size/shape pick (the classic 351 shape) on both, but I use different picks: a Wegen 1.2 mm bluegrass pick on mandolin, a Dunlop 1.0 mm "stiffo" nylon on guitar.
    EdSherry

Blog Entries

I use the classic Fender 351 guitar pick (medium, preferred color Green Moto) for guitar, and the JazzMando Signature ProPlec mandolin pick (1.5 mm) for mandolin. The JazzMando pick is a little larger:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JMpicsStamp.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	121874
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	511lYzbEvjL._SY300_.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	121875  
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Goist For This Useful Post:

I use the same for both. At the end of the day it is a pick hitting some steel strings, so I like the same one on both instruments, and I've tried many alternatives on each.

I use a generic celluloid 351 heavy for guitar and the Dunlop 1.14 Ultex rounded triangle for mandolin.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Blog Entries

I use Clayton Ultex .90's on guitar and BC TAD 60's and (also, now) Primetone triangle 1.5's on mandolin.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Like Ed, I always used a Fender 351 for guitar, and the JazzMando ProPlec was my first foray into larger triangular picks for mandolin. My pick preference for guitar has shifted, and I now use larger triangular picks for guitar. Most recently I bought some of the new Dunlop Primetone 1.5s to try with my mandolin. I actually prefer them with guitar. I like changing between different picks just to switch things up and find new textures from my instruments.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

11. The following members say thank you to lukmanohnz for this post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Usually it's the large triangular JazzMando ProPlec on mandolin, and similar-sized but thinner pics on guitar. The thicker mando pics, IMHO, just kill the sweet trebles of my D-35 and most other guitars... but maybe not so much on a bluegrass-approved D-18?
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

I use a BC CT55 (a fat triangle shape) on mandolin, tenor guitar, and conventional guitar. I could probably find better picks if I wanted to micro-manage (i.e. Wegen gypsy jazz pick for jazz rhythm guitar), but the CT55 is versatile enough to make me happy.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I use the same shape and physical size pick which is a rounded triangle BC..... I tried out the CT-55 on mandolin and found that I liked it. I use a TAD 60 on guitar.
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    ...snip... The thicker mando pics, IMHO, just kill the sweet trebles of my D-35 and most other guitars... but maybe not so much on a bluegrass-approved D-18?
    Totally agree! and on my HD-28 it's even worse - Anything heavier than medium makes the boominess of the bass totally uncontrollable.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Without getting into the specific brand and thickness of picks that I use, I too use a 'standard' small Fender shaped pick on guitar, and a large triangle on mandolin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picks.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	121881

I play bluegrass/country, and I think it's worth mentioning what style you're playing on any of these question/answer threads. (If I was emulating Joe Pass, I'm sure the answer would be different.) I started down this path, because my favorite bluegrass pro did the same. As it was explained to me: 'on guitar, I find it easier to control the changing pick angle with the smaller pick'. I'm not a hot picker myself, but I suppose that I do find myself changing the attack angle to a greater degree playing guitar, and the pointier pick accentuates those changes.

That is, it's less a matter of the overall size of the pick - the difference is the angle of the 'sharp' end which is what I play with. I know there is an entirely different school of guitar and mandolin that uses the 'dumb' end of the pick, and some great players among them, too!
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

I play bluegrass, jazz, blues, folk, classical, and rock. I use a JazzMando V-pick for almost any genre on the mandolin, but switch to BCs, Dunlop Ultex, ProPlecs, and (a new favorite) an old Fender extra heavy large triangular depending on my mood. On the guitar, the Dunlop Ultex triangle is becoming my default for just about anything, but I'm still enjoying the new Primetones quite a bit. I often use a pick when playing my classical guitar - typically a JazzMando V-pick. I love the mellow tone of that pick on nylon strings.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

never tried fingerpicks on a mandolin. . . Watched Wayne do it once or twice though.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    ...snip... I think it's worth mentioning what style you're playing on any of these question/answer threads. ...snip...
    Great point. I play what I call Americana: A sinister combination of Rock, Folk, Blues, Psychedelic, Alternative, and "True" Country.

I always enjoy "pick threads" because it's one of the few areas where I have very decided preferences: I can't stand anything but a medium pick when playing guitar, and can't stand anything lighter than about a 1.5 mm pick when playing mandolin.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

21. The following members say thank you to Ed Goist for this post:

I use a Dunlop stubby 2.0mm on my mando, and a Gibson T on the guitar....on the rare occasion I pick my guitar up, that is...

Hot Club D'Jango style melodic players seem to also like thick stiff picks, for same up and down note picking .
    Chording , accompanying singing strummers something less stiff ..

( I take out my guitar occasionally, just to remind myself I own one)
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I use any rounded triangular shaped plastic pick costing under $1. Medium thickness. Preferably green. Used for guitar, mando, banjo.

25. The following members say thank you to bart mcneil for this post:

I use the same picks for both. Dunlop Primetone sculpted 1.5 mm triangle and 1.3 mm rounded, and the B# V-pick for a super thick jazz pick. I tend to experiment a lot with different picks on the mandolin, but keep coming back to these. I have some Surfpicks coming in the mail, we'll see how those go.
    "I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate." -- Jethro Burns

"Do the work. Be the goal." -- Anonymous

Weber Yellowstone -- Collings MT -- Kentucky KM1000 -- Big Muddy

27. The following members say thank you to TwoByFour for this post:

Same pick for mandolin and guitar here: a Blue Chip TAD40-1R. That's the medium triangle shape with one rounded corner, the other two sharper, and about 1mm thick. I use the rounded corner on mandolin and the sharp point on guitar. That keeps the tone a little darker on mandolin.

The music I'm playing on mandolin these days is mainly Irish/Scottish trad, so I'm probably using a thinner pick on mandolin than I would for Bluegrass. I've tried heavier picks but it's harder for me to do quick treble ornaments with a thick pick. YMMV on that; I've seen people use thicker picks for those ornaments.

As for guitar, I only use a flatpick for strummed Drop-D backing on the faster tunes like strathspeys, jigs and reels. I accompany the slower tunes like "slow reels" and airs fingerstyle, with bare fingers and nails. That's also how I play Blues guitar on electric or acoustic. I hate fingerpicks but I'll use 'em when playing bottleneck Dobro, because the cone likes to be driven at a certain level for good tone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheMandoShop View Post
    I use a Wegen Triangle 1.4 mm pick for both mandolin and guitar.
    Me too -- if fact I got all mine from YOU!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
    I use the same picks for both. Dunlop Primetone sculpted 1.5 mm triangle and 1.3 mm rounded, and the B# V-pick for a super thick jazz pick. I tend to experiment a lot with different picks on the mandolin, but keep coming back to these. I have some Surfpicks coming in the mail, we'll see how those go.
    Whatsa Surfpick?? Time to dust off the wallet (which never seems to get all that dusty...)

351 shape here, generally heavy on both mandolin and guitar. I don't mind a medium on guitar and they'll do in a pinch on Mandolin.
    Jim Richmond