Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jazz Strings

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Jazz Strings

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    I believe those that they have for sale are 174s though, unless the picture is wrong.
    The picture is wrong. I trusted fatt-dad and hoped that the product designation was accurate while the image and description were recycled. I ordered the strings on Thursday, and they arrived as 154ST's today for only $37.79.

P.S. Which mandolin of mine would best wear the TI Starks? The Gibson has Gibson monels. The Collings currently wears FW74s. The Pava remains with GHS A270s. The National uses the recommended John Pearse 2150Ms. And the Hester came with J74s.
    Last edited by pheffernan; Jul-28-2014 at 3:38pm. Reason: Added Thought
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    The picture is wrong. I trusted fatt-dad and hoped that the product designation was accurate while the image and description were recycled. I ordered the strings on Thursday, and they arrived as 154ST's today for only $37.79.

P.S. Which mandolin of mine would best wear the TI Starks? The Gibson has Gibson monels. The Collings currently wears FW74s. The Pava remains with GHS A270s. The National uses the recommended John Pearse 2150Ms. And the Hester came with J74s.
    Ah man, I chickened out and bought them somewhere else. Oh well, I lost a few bucks.

I plan to put mine on my newly acquired 24 a jr. So well see how it goes.

I've tried ti guitar strings and honestly hated them. I don't think that has much to do with whether I will like these or not though.

I've tried ti guitar strings and honestly hated them. I don't think that has much to do with whether I will like these or not though.
    I have the ball end Mittels on my Gypsy, and they are so easy to fret. That instrument has become the one I pick up after my fingers are sore from playing the others. In fact, I was surprised to find the FW74s so different when I first installed them on the Collings, although I'm warming up to them. I'm curious to hear how the Starks would sound on the National, as I've read a number of good things on that pairing, yet I haven't been dissatisfied with the Pearse strings to date either. I'd just like to avoid a $40/12 month mistake if at all possible.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    Um, spring for the extra few dozen dollars and go with T-I Heavy (a.k.a., Starke). They last and last and sound better than fw-74s. Same benefit of chording and such. Just a better string set.

Do I really have to add, IMHO?

f-d
    I'm glad you added the IMHO part. I wouldn't say the TIs are "better", just different. I used The TI Starks for Over 12 years and loved them. however, the F74s add a bit of punch and life to my mandolin that the TIs just didn't have. To me, they're much better suited for Bluegrass and they last just as long, if not longer. I had my last set of FW74s on my mandolin for 16 months. It all depends on what tone you're looking for and what kind of music you're playing. TIs are great strings but you can get similar qualities with a different tonal palette using the FW74s.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I agree with mandobassman.

I use TI mittel (mediums). These are superb, easy to play, have tuning stability like nothing else. They comparatively soft in feel to any other equivalent gauge string. Makes pinky work, difficult stretches, twisty chords and high fret work a breeze, and, they are super 'slick', like playing my fretless wonder.

Nice tone, imho. If you are used to heavy PB, they wont drive the top the same way. They don't sparkle and have the same overtones, and far faster decay.

While I have used them for BG and did so for almost 3 years, this may not be an ideal application, especially if strictly acoustic, ie. un-mic'd. OTOH, im going back because they are so easy on the hands, and I need that right now.

For more power to the top, starks (heavy) but, imho, one loses a touch of ease of playing.

Don't dwell on the price difference, but do shop.

TIs last a long time. For me, nine months of heavy daily playing as well as gigs. After nine months I didn't 'need' to change, ie intonation problems, but did, as they had decent fret indentations on the underside.

Once you try these, you may become spoiled. They are a different, less bright tone, and, less ring, but make playing even more of a joy. The difference in tuning stability is mind blowing. I have played an hour or two with no tweaking. Leave it in tune and come back and its .....in tune. I don't think there is a better string for jazz, swing and gypsy.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to post. I know it's another string thread which gets annoying. Either way I'm going to give the TI's a run and see how they sound. If I don't like them I will go back to my 74's.
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

I got a chance to put the ti Starks on my new a jr. Honestly I didn't like em. I was hoping for a nice dark rich sound but it honestly
    Sounded kind of bright, I guess because they're a lighter gauge. Normally lighter strings will give you a brighter sound anyway but that's just not what I expected from these strings.

Oh well just wasn't the sound I was looking for I guess
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

I was hoping for a nice dark rich sound
    You might consider the Gibson Sam Bush Monel strings, which lack the brightness of phosphor bronze. They are my favorite choice to date on my 1924 Gibson A snakehead.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    You might consider the Gibson Sam Bush Monel strings, which lack the brightness of phosphor bronze. They are my favorite choice to date on my 1924 Gibson A snakehead.
    My thoughts exactly. Already got em on order

I liked them on my weber but I felt like they lacked some volume. I'm not worried about losing a little volume with my A jr

For Jazz, I prefer to play my 24 A2, just like the oval sound better for this. The best strings I've found are the old Gibson monels (Sam Bush series).

For my electric Mann EM5, I like the Thomastic flatwounds.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

I'm also planning on trying the newtone round wound strings.

I've always found round wounds have a warmer sound than the modern hex core strings

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weaver View Post
    I swear I thought I paid like $25. Did they go up that much in like 5 years?
    Yes, they did. When I started using Thomastik in 1997 they were $17 per set. The last set I bought in 2011 were $38. That's more than double the price in 14 years. That's the same reason I stopped using Thomastik bass strings. The first set I bought around 2001 was $110. They now cost $237. That's a $127 increase in 13 years.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

That's about the difference between the Euro in 2001 (1EUR = $0.88 in 2001) to now (1EUR = $1.30 or so)...

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    Yes, they did. When I started using Thomastik in 1997 they were $17 per set. The last set I bought in 2011 were $38. That's more than double the price in 14 years. That's the same reason I stopped using Thomastik bass strings. The first set I bought around 2001 was $110. They now cost $237. That's a $127 increase in 13 years.
    wow
    sheesh
    blue chip sticker shock LOL
    I cant take it......

I just checked TIs and the price has gone up $10.00 per set since last year-they are now ...get this.....$90.00 retail and $48 discounted -i will think twice at this price-to replace a broken string is $12.00 for the replacement sets of paired strings, ie 2 E, 2 A, etc -and I have had this happen occasionally when stringing or otherwise

A mandolin playing friend of mine recommended J-67 nickel wound 11-39. I'm really diggin'em so far, nice lows and plenty of treble. They seem to be holding up good too!