Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jazz Strings

Default Jazz Strings

Marty threw on some FW-74's on my Jacobson. These strings sounded awesome on my mando. Of course I haven't heard it with different strings yet. Anyways, I love the fact that they are flat wound which makes chording and sliding very fast. The only issue I had with these strings is that they lost their ring a little quick. For the extra cost compared to the phosphor bronze I would like for them to keep up a little longer than two weeks. What do you guys use for jazz playing? I've tried just about every string for bluegrass and ended up using J-74's on everything I have. I always get a good couple of months out of them. Once I'm out of my current stash I'm going to try DR-11's on my grassy mandos per Ivan's suggestion.

If the FW-74's are my best option then I will live with it....
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

Default Re: Jazz Strings

I am going to have Marty put FW 74 on my #37 when it is ready. Let me know if you find a decent alternative.

Will do. Like I said I think they are awesome I just wish they made an EXP version.
    The Favs
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8

I use GHS Silk & Steel on my LaPlant F-5. Sounds more mellow to me.
    "Got time to breathe, got time for music" -- Briscoe Darling

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Um, spring for the extra few dozen dollars and go with T-I Heavy (a.k.a., Starke). They last and last and sound better than fw-74s. Same benefit of chording and such. Just a better string set.

Do I really have to add, IMHO?

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

FT 74 http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDe..._Medium__11_39

is round wound with Bronze, then the tops are ground flat. I'd replace their Wound A with a plain A..
    Since core wire is quite thin...

I have the FW 74 0n my Lebeda Jazzica F type, and also on my Fender FM61se,
    since they are a Magnetic Electric Pickup sensed, winding ribbon, unlike the bronze winding.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weaver View Post
    ...The only issue I had with these strings is that they lost their ring a little quick. For the extra cost compared to the phosphor bronze I would like for them to keep up a little longer than two weeks...
    That's about how long I give them to break in, then that's when I really like them. After that they won't sound any different a year later.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I have never tried that set of GHS. I have tried their strings before and never cared for them. Have you compared them to FW-74?

Okay, I don't want to go the flat top route. I do like those strings though.

As far as the T-I's.....i bought those once for my bowl back. These would probably be my next choice from the current list even though the prices are a slap in the face. $48 from elderly. I swear I thought I paid like $25. Did they go up that much in like 5 years?

Edit: Fatt-Dad if you don't use "IMHO" then how am I supposed to know that you're being honest?
    The Favs
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Weaver For This Useful Post:

I got my last few T-I's from maverickmusic.com. They were $39.00.

f-d

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    I got my last few T-I's from maverickmusic.com. They were $39.00.

f-d
    that website doesnt work for me, are you sure you got it right? id like to buy a set, i definitley want to save as much money on these as possible

try this link then:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=maverick+music

f-d

13. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Ah, it's on their ebay page. I couldn't find any strings at all on maverick-music.com, all they had was guitars and George Harrison memorabilia

Thanks, that's a better price for sure

How many times have you used them? They get negative feedback like every other day.
    The Favs
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8

Marty threw on some FW-74's on my Jacobson. The only issue I had with these strings is that they lost their ring a little quick. For the extra cost compared to the phosphor bronze I would like for them to keep up a little longer than two weeks.
    Strings "deaden" due to a build up of skin debris and body oils, particularly if you have sweaty hands. Cleaning them with paper towel and 99% pure Isopropanol alcohol should bring them back to life. Some guitar techs for top acts even do this to new strings as they tend to have industrial residues that attracts dirt and oils right out of the package.

Or you can use an old bass-players trick and boil the strings, but I find the alcohol cleaning usually works fine.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

How many times have you used them? They get negative feedback like every other day.
    If this is in relation to Maverick Music, I understand their negative feedback. I placed a phone order and waited and waited and waited for the order to arrive. I didn't go through their ebay site. I just called in my credit card and waited. . .

After a few weeks, I placed a call to see what's up. Well, there was a fraud in their midst. This staff had taken money from phone orders, but because it was outside of the ebay store thought they could get away with it. There was a police report, somebody was fired/apprehended, etc. At that time it took a bit of time to work through the issues, but they did and I got my strings. The dude that owns the business (Phil) did communicate with me. He was just in the midst of a crisis, so I was patient.

f-d

The maverick music ebay store I'm talking about has a 99.3% feedback so maybe were looking at a different place?

But the problem is, their listing says mandolin strings, even though the picture says mandola so I don't know. These are the only TI strings they have listed

http://bit.ly/1pc5XU2

154st is what I use. If they're there later tonight, I'll take them. I mean it's a great price and maybe they won't restock. There's only one left, or so it seems. . .

f-d

Yeah it's 99.3% because they sell so much. It's the same company. I clicked on the description of those strings earlier and they are mandola strings. They don't have any T-I mandolin strings in stock.
    The Favs
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    154st is what I use. If they're there later tonight, I'll take them. I mean it's a great price and maybe they won't restock. There's only one left, or so it seems. . .

f-d
    I believe those that they have for sale are 174s though, unless the picture is wrong.

FW74s for me. Very trouble-free and ring out long time. Strings and picks are very personal choices.
    Mike Snyder

+1 on the FW74's: to me they sound horribly bright for the first few days, and then sound exactly the same for the next year or so - just as I like them. Usually I change out the plain strings more often than the wound ones.

BTW, while I like the TI strings, they're even duller/mellower sounding than the FW74's, just so you know...

Currently I have TIs on my Breedlove. To me they are a counterpart to the Thomastik jazz guitar strings I have on my Godin 5th avenue.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Like Tavy I can get a good year out of a FW-74 set with little loss of tone (I use them on my RM-1). Similarly I might change the plain A and E strings for fresh ones if they need it but the D and G strings will just go on and on.

I recently broke an A string at session and noticed some corrosion on it. Sounded fine, but wire is wire, and I replaced the other three. The wound strings will last until the windings wear thru and sound grand all the way. Legitimate for ten months with tone and volume. Worth a try for anyone searching for the right string set. I only dabble in jazz, being an old-time, ITM, and contra dance player. Even when faking it as a bluegrass player, the FW74s have the chop and volume to get it done. Helps to have a loud box.
    Mike Snyder

Yeah it's 99.3% because they sell so much. It's the same company. I clicked on the description of those strings earlier and they are mandola strings. They don't have any T-I mandolin strings in stock.
    That guy is clueless about what he sells, and a dingbat. Description in that auction is contradictory. Once upon a time, I ordered mandolin strings from him of a different brand (on eBay), he sent mandola ones by mistake after a LONG wait (sent them to wrong address, couldn't even copy it correctly from Paypal, and a neighbor down the street got them, and eventually returned them to the carrier, who eventually figured out who they really should go to, and brought them to me). I had told "the maverick" they hadn't arrived after a few weeks, and his attitude was "gee I sent them, and the post office tracking says they were delivered, so there's nothing I can do - sorry!" But when I alerted him, another week later, to the fact that they finally arrived, but weren't what I ordered, he agreed to replace them. However, his email to me seemed so dopey and scatterbrained that I said "Never mind, I'll just keep them" (even though I don't use the brand I ordered on my mandolas, but the mandola ones cost more, and it just wasn't worth hassling over any longer - so his loss, as well as mine), and he seemed genuinely relieved not to have to deal with it. I'd avoid him, personally. I always buy Thomastiks from Elderly. If you order 2 sets (which I always do, to get free shipping), the price of each goes down.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel