Thread: Mandolin strings

Default Mandolin strings

I'm sure there have been previous forum threads about this topic. I've used D'Addario J74's for quite sometime. I recently tried a set of EXP74 Phosphor Bronze mediums. They are fairly bright. I'm looking for a set that that gives me more of a "woody" tone. IE. not as bright as the EXP's. I realize most of the tone one gets is due to technique, pick thickness, attack, aged strings, etc. I just wanted to know if anyone has found a set that sounds more played in from the get go? Maybe the silk wound strings? Thanks for your thoughts.

2. The following members say thank you to Mountain Boy for this post:

Default Re: Mandolin strings

You might give some Monels a shot. There's a good thread about them here. We've really enjoyed the Martin Monels on guitar and are going to try the Gibson version on mandolin soon.

I switched from J74s to DR11s, and then up to DR12s. Highly recommend giving DR strings a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Boy View Post
    I'm sure there have been previous forum threads about this topic. I've used D'Addario J74's for quite sometime. I recently tried a set of EXP74 Phosphor Bronze mediums. They are fairly bright. I'm looking for a set that that gives me more of a "woody" tone. IE. not as bright as the EXP's. I realize most of the tone one gets is due to technique, pick thickness, attack, aged strings, etc. I just wanted to know if anyone has found a set that sounds more played in from the get go? Maybe the silk wound strings? Thanks for your thoughts.
    You omitted the primary source of your tone, the mandolin.

Mike, I'm currently playing a Gibson F5G custom.

Polyester 'Silk' is under the silver coated copper winding on GHS silk and steel strings .

they also use the same process with the 'silk' and Bronze string, just the winding wire is different .

Old oval hole A4 is pretty darned 'woody' no matter what string I use.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have been trying to get strings that have the many desirable properties that are important to me and as far as I am aware, they haven't been invented yet. I am sure what is desirable to me may not be to you. That said, the EXP 74s offer the least amount of compromise, they sound and feel great to me. Feel is important to me, I don't like the grabby, unpolished feel of bronze strings at all. Before you cast those EXPs aside and scratch them off the list, I suggest playing them for a while. It takes a couple of weeks until they start sounding really good to my ears. Tough to describe, but I would say after about 4-5 weeks of heavy playing, they lose some of the brightness and high end chime and become more bell like with an emphasis on the fundamental vs. harmonics. Unfortunately, this period does not seem to last more than a couple weeks before they need changing, maybe even a bit less in the summer. In the winter I change strings probably only once every 3 months, in the summer, 2 months or less on average.

Sean

9. The following members say thank you to sgrexa for this post:

I have tried just about every string out there on my custom Weber Yellowstone (Engleman top) and have finally deceided on the GHS A270 PB strings. They give me all the tone I want from my mando. I just tried the DR11's, they seem to be the flavor of the month, but I am sorry to say they did nothing for me. They sounded tinny and hardly any bass. Just remember every instrument is different as is every player, so you will have to try several till you find the one you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    I have tried just about every string out there on my custom Weber Yellowstone (Engleman top) and have finally deceided on the GHS A270 PB strings. They give me all the tone I want from my mando. I just tried the DR11's, they seem to be the flavor of the month, but I am sorry to say they did nothing for me. They sounded tinny and hardly any bass. Just remember every instrument is different as is every player, so you will have to try several till you find the one you are looking for.
    I really loved the A270 as well. Ive tried almost every string under the sun on my yellowstone. Its come down to EXP 77 (80/20) and GHS A270 as my two favorites. Im having a hard time deciding between these two, the exp77s are sweeter and sound better on most things, but the the GHS have the best chop sound by far and give the best pure bluegrass tone.

All that said, if you want woody, monel is something to try. The Sam Bush signature Monel strings dont sound good on every mandolin, but on the right one they sound nice, rich, and decidedly woody

I play an '05 F5g and have experimented extensively with strings. By far my preference is D'Addario FW74s. Very "woody", extreme long life, zero "zing" on slides, and surprising volume. String experiments are cheap fun. Try a bunch. Find something that pleases YOUR ear, but do not neglect the flatwound. I'm sold and no longer am looking, but your instrument and ear may like something different. Good luck and have fun.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Ha! I didn't like the FW-74s, but LOVE the T-I heavies (also called Starks). they are expensive ($40-$50). I also recently re-found the Gibson Sam Bush string set (monel). They are the perfect fit for my Muth A5 (red spruce and maple). On my Cohen and Gibson oval-holes though, I'm stuck on the T-Is. I love the GHS A-250s on my Flatiron 1N (pancake).

I used EXP- and J-74s for years. I like them, but. . .

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

14. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Thanks to all for the feedback/discussion. That's what I love about the Mandolin Cafe. Good folks. I think my next plan of action will be to check out the GHS A270 PB's or Silk and Bronze then move on to the D'Addario FW's. Keep on pickin.

Mountain Boy....I used the GHS silk and bronze for years and then tried the A270`s and found that the difference isn`t worth the difference in price between the two, I use A-270`s on all mandolins that I own and have tried just about every string brand out there, Lately though I did try the DR 11`s and as Mr. Lang said to me they sounded tinny, I still have them on one mandolin and I am waiting to see if they start sound any better as time goes by like some people suggested, I am planning on trying the DR-12`s soon just to satisfy my mind that they might be better tan the 11`s...

Keep looking and give each brad a good chance to open up....

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by sgrexa View Post
    I have been trying to get strings that have the many desirable properties that are important to me and as far as I am aware, they haven't been invented yet. I am sure what is desirable to me may not be to you. That said, the EXP 74s offer the least amount of compromise, they sound and feel great to me. Feel is important to me, I don't like the grabby, unpolished feel of bronze strings at all. Before you cast those EXPs aside and scratch them off the list, I suggest playing them for a while. It takes a couple of weeks until they start sounding really good to my ears. Tough to describe, but I would say after about 4-5 weeks of heavy playing, they lose some of the brightness and high end chime and become more bell like with an emphasis on the fundamental vs. harmonics. Unfortunately, this period does not seem to last more than a couple weeks before they need changing, maybe even a bit less in the summer. In the winter I change strings probably only once every 3 months, in the summer, 2 months or less on average.

Sean
    Hi Sean. Have you ever tried The FW74 flatwound strings? I also can't stand the grabby, unpolished feel of bronze strings and never have. That's why I have never used them in 35 years of playing. I used GHS silk and steel for many years until I discovered flatwound strings and haven't looked back. They also take a couple of weeks to start to sound their best, but unlike bronze that needs changing soon after that, the FW74s last for several months or longer. My last set were on my mandolin for over a year. My current set has been on for over four months now and they sound great to me. Oddly enough, the first mandolin I ever heard flatwound strings on was a A model Nugget. In my opinion, they produce the fundamental tone of the instrument, without the metallic brightness I hear with bronze. And do they ever feel great under the fingers. Come out to the Mexican Food Factory one night and you can mess around with mine. Of course, they'll sound a bit different on a Nugget.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

18. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

I bought a (barely) used Kentucky 1050 about five months ago. I think I'm finally ready to change the strings, but I have no idea what gauge strings are currently on there. Should I just put a new set on and hope for the best?
    "No animal, according to the rules of animal-etiquette, is ever expected to do anything strenuous, or heroic, or even moderately active during the off-season of winter." Kenneth Grahame

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Your km150 should be fine with j74s.

ad-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I just got some Gibson Bill Monroe signature strings yesterday...haven't decided if they're too bright or just right...once I string my other mando up with J74's I'll be able to tell

During a course of about 50-60 years of playing mandolin I found that the only way to find a brand of strings that will sound like you want on any mandolin is to try as many sets as you can...Sure it takes time and some money but the sound that myself or others like might not be what you like so it is useless to ask what strings you should buy, as I said it will take some time and quite a few bucks to find what is best for your mandolin and then when you purchase another mandolin the process starts all over again...JUST BE PATIENT...you will find the right set I`m sure...In the meantime just keep picking on what ever you have, after a break in period what you have might sound better...

Willie

Loving the Siminoff Straight-ups!!! They are awesome on both my 5's.
    KEEP IT SQUATCHY!!
    "...praise Him with STRINGED INSTRUMENTS..." Psalm 150:4

I concur: GHS Silk & Bronze (mediums) are warmer in tone and they have less tension.

25. The following members say thank you to Cheryl Watson for this post:

Try DiAddario J-75's They are a bit heavier gauge and have that chunky sound you are looking for.

Blog Entries

Hey akjed, Congrats on your Kentucky KM-1050. I am awaiting my KM-1000. I too am interested in string ideas. A good friend on the Cafe who owns a KM-1050 suggested the Gibson Monel Steel strings. Mine has been set up with the J74's, so I will see how she sounds with those when I get her. I would think standard for our mandos is 11-40, but of course, the set up can be altered to accommodate heavier or lighter strings.

Quote Originally Posted by akjed View Post
    I bought a (barely) used Kentucky 1050 about five months ago. I think I'm finally ready to change the strings, but I have no idea what gauge strings are currently on there. Should I just put a new set on and hope for the best?
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"