Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D'Addario Launches The NS Micro Universal Tuner

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default D'Addario Launches The NS Micro Universal Tuner

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    D'Addario Launches The NS Micro Universal Tuner

D'Addario is proud to launch the new NS Micro Universal Tuner, the newest members of its clip-on tuner family. A tuner that is packed with features and designed to be seen at any angle, the NS Micro Universal Tuner features a reversible, multi-color display and metronome in a small, compact design.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: D'Addario Launches The NS Micro Universal Tuner

Is this the same thing? The head looks the same, but it has a different mount.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pw_prod_pw-ct-12_main_2.jpg 
Views:	2033 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	121701
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Aug-07-2014 at 8:04am. Reason: removing broken link
    Gary F.
    Virginia
    J. Bovier F5-T
    Fender FM-53S

[QUOTE=gforeman;1307493]Is this the same thing? The head looks the same, but it has a different mount.

Yes, it does look like it's the same tuner unit with a different mount. I'm guessing that's the 'universal' bit.

I thought this was the universal bit

"The NS Micro Universal Tuner offers quick note response and tuning accuracy and also features a wide calibration range of 410 - 480"

But I have no problem using the regular mini version on my mandolin, my guitar, and my friend used it on his bass with no problems as well. I just don't understand how this is necessary. The older small one is less likely to break, is less visible, and I can see it from any angle.

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    ..The older small one is less likely to break, is less visible, and I can see it from any angle.
    It likely weighs less, too.

Try using a std clip-on on a violin scroll or on the headstock on a Lyon & Healy A mandolin and you will see the problem. Maybe this solves that. My Snark slips off the headstock of my L&H easily. You have to open it to the widest and it still is not wide enough.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Don from D'Addario here - the idea behind the Universal tuner was that we've received lots of requests from players that can't use our ratchet design on their instrument. Granted this isn't from guitarists or mandolinists but a plethora of players who want the convenience of the smaller design. So you are correct that this is largely (pun intended) about the mount design. This can be used on uprights, dobro's, dulcimers, lap steels - and on and on. We'll be interested in seeing how different players end up using this.

Quote Originally Posted by ddawson2010 View Post
    Don from D'Addario here - the idea behind the Universal tuner was that we've received lots of requests from players that can't use our ratchet design on their instrument. Granted this isn't from guitarists or mandolinists but a plethora of players who want the convenience of the smaller design. So you are correct that this is largely (pun intended) about the mount design. This can be used on uprights, dobro's, dulcimers, lap steels - and on and on. We'll be interested in seeing how different players end up using this.
    Thanks for explaining!

I'm primarily a guitarist and mandolinist so I guess that's why I didn't see the usefulness behind this new tuner. Glad people with other instruments can enjoy this tuner. I really love mine btw, I choose it over my peterson strobo clip most of the time simply because it's more practical and convenient, It's been the best tuner I've bought so far

This can be used on uprights, dobro's, dulcimers, lap steels - and on and on. We'll be interested in seeing how different players end up using this.
    Hey Don: How does it work on violin scrolls? Actually, I suppose you could clip the std one on the bridge, but I play a scrolled headstock on my L&H mandolin and another odd-shaped (not flat) one on some bowlback mandolins I own.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It's does work but scrolls are so very different from instrument to instrument and because of that, we're actually coming out with a violin specific model shortly. However, that version will attached to the opposite side, upper bout of the violin. So when you're playing it, you'll see the screen just above the body. That version, as well as this one, won't be for everyone. We're giving players options.

Thanks, Don! With the exception of guitar at a gig, I always remove the tuner from the instrument when I am playing and only clip it on while tuning. I know it is my own eccentricity but esp on fiddle I don't like the extra weight even if it is infinitesimal. As you said you are giving options. I may try the universal on my scroll headstocks tho.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Oh dear

Okay, I am really late to the party, but I am excited about one being made for violins. I have sometimes use my husband's Korg but I have to put it between pegs which makes it super awkward plus it doesn't swivel so that I can really see it well. I mainly use it for my mandolin and use a tuning fork for my violin. I would absolutely jump on one for the violin!

We should be releasing the Violin version in the next month or so.

14. The following members say thank you to ddawson2010 for this post:

It looks like the Lego version of the War of the Worlds ships.

Name:	nsuniversal.jpg 
Views:	1009 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	122999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WOTW.jpg 
Views:	1120 
Size:	5.4 KB 
ID:	122998

16. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Violingirl View Post
    I would absolutely jump on one for the violin!
    It may not be that durable, Violingirl. Jes saying'..

Oh dear

We should be releasing the Violin version in the next month or so.
    Hot dog! Thank you!

Oh dear

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    It may not be that durable, Violingirl. Jes saying'..
    I hope I can prove you wrong....but I am still pretty excited.

Blog Entries

I would never put a 'clip on' tuner onto a scroll. But I would put it on the upper bout. Good idea.
    It would only be used to tune in a noisy situation an then be removed. It's the only reason I like these things.

I wonder if the violin mount version can be used on a mandolin?

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    I would never put a 'clip on' tuner onto a scroll.
    Where would you put it esp on a Lyon & Healy A? on a violin you could put it on the bridge but not on a mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Oh dear

The clips always have a ton of padding on them otherwise I would never put it there. I don't like the idea of putting on my bridge because it could not my bridge out of alignment or scratch/gouge the top of my violin. It appears to be a likely place but a bridge collapse could cause a sound post collapse which would ruin a violin. Yes, the sound post could be fixed, but the violin would never be the same and most likely have an inferior sound.

But, to ech his own, right? That is the beauty of all the choices out there now!

Blog Entries

Another place to put a clip on tuner might be at the nut or on the peg box. The same place, at the nut, may work on a Lyon & Healy A. It is a tough design challenge.

Of course Violingirl has a point. A clip on tuner is much too heavy an large for a violin bridge. There may be an access point on the tailpiece however.

Make the thing even smaller with a brighter display. Run it on solar power...

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    Another place to put a clip on tuner might be at the nut or on the peg box. The same place, at the nut, may work on a Lyon & Healy A. It is a tough design challenge.
    I am not sure how that would work. The scroll headstock of an L&H A is pretty hefty but the nut doesn't leave much to grab onto. Actually, I can't see how any tuner can clip onto the nut on any mandolin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbd6_3.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	123112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b9a4_3.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	123113  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Blog Entries

Yea Jim, there is not much to grab onto at the nut. Looking at the photo however it seems like a tuner would be able to clip on the base of the scroll just above the metal plate. It is hard to find a relatively flat surface on these curvy instruments. BTW this L&H looks like a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by gforeman View Post
    Is this the same thing? The head looks the same, but it has a different mount.

WARNING THIS VERSION reacts with and DESTROYS VARNISH-
    HAVE A SPOT on my headstock face where it made contact only for a couple of hours, THANKS TO D'Addario on my Brentrup

its read out also difficult to read in sunlight, but great indoors

27. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    WARNING THIS VERSION reacts with and DESTROYS VARNISH-
    HAVE A SPOT on my headstock face where it made contact only for a couple of hours, THANKS TO D'Addario on my Brentrup
    I had the same experience with this tuner. I left it on overnight & in the morning, there were circular marks on the headstock. But the varnish hadn't hardened yet & after 6 days it had "repaired" itself. BE CAREFUL.

MikeyG

29. The following members say thank you to MikeyG for this post: