Thread: Courante from 1st Suite for Solo Cello by J S Bach

Default Courante from 1st Suite for Solo Cello by J S Bach

As others have been brave enough to post direct recordings of their playing on this forum, I've taken the plunge, bitten the bullet and off this Courante.

As the Prelude from this Suite is seemingly the most-often movement recorded, I offer another movement which I particularly enjoy and attempt to play.

Please excuse the two wrong notes, hesitation in the second half and other performance hiccups, but the switching on of an audio or video recorder always causes untold problems !

Here it is - a Rough Rendition - no post production, sequencing etc .... just the straight output from the video - warts and all.

Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Jul-15-2014 at 7:43am. Reason: correcting embed command so video displays
    Mandolins -
    Paul Shippey electric custom - 2009
    Paul Shippey maple model oval hole - 2012
    J Bovier EMC-5
    Suzuki (Nagoya) bowlback 1973

My Soundcloud Stream

My Mandolin Music Page

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Andy Boden For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Courante from 1st Suite for Solo Cello by J S Bach

For some reason the link to the Youtube video doesn't seem to have worked.
    Here is is again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X35...ature=youtu.be

Andy
    Mandolins -
    J Bovier EMC-5

My Soundcloud Stream

My Mandolin Music Page

Thank you to Scott Tichenor for correcting my incompetence and getting the video to display
    Mandolins -
    J Bovier EMC-5

My Soundcloud Stream

My Mandolin Music Page

Great job that movement is amazing

Blog Entries

Very nice job, there! Thanks for taking the leap and sharing.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Good job - wonderful piece - I enjoy 'attempting' to play the whole sonata, and I find the Courante to be my most difficult movement to play convincingly. Trying to record it would certainly be a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Boden View Post
    Please excuse the two wrong notes, hesitation in the second half and other performance hiccups, but the switching on of an audio or video recorder always causes untold problems!
    I hear you - I hate the red light, too - and usually need at least 40 takes (which is a whole lot of work! :-/ ) to get one acceptable one that I would actually upload. Yours sounds good, so don't knock it!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Blog Entries

Really well done on getting it worked up to there and on YouTube.

Apropos nothing, but just in case it helps any one interpreting these I remembered (and found) a piece Tim Janof wrote about the Bach Courantes;

" Dance and the Music of J.S. Bach calls these movements "Correntes" instead of "Courantes." They define Correntes:

"The early eighteenth century Italian corrente is a virtuoso piece for violin or keyboard. It usually consists continuous elaboration in eighth or sixteenth notes over a bass in fast triple meter, with simple textures, slow harmonic rhythm, and phrases of varying lengths…. Techniques of elaboration include arpeggiation, sequential repetition, two melodic parts combined into a single line, figures resembling an Alberti bass, and passage-work covering several octaves." 8

This definition seems to fit most of the "Courantes" in the Bach Cello Suites. The only true Courante, according to Dance and the Music of J.S. Bach is in the c minor Suite. The c minor Courante does sound pretty good at Mansbridge's tempo. Interestingly, all of the known Bach Cello Suite source manuscripts label these movements as "Courantes," while the first known published edition (Norblin, 1825) labels them all, including the one in c minor, as "Correntes." "
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

9. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Nice to hear a great rendition of the movement I'm working on at the moment on my new tenor banjo. I play from the Rob MacKillop Book, that should work for all instruments tuned in fifths. My favorite part is the "crosspicking" in the second half, Bach was a pioneer of this stvle before Jesse McReynolds, well crossbowing,that is.
    Nice mandolin, by the way.
    Here is my version, work in progress.Will have to work on my dynamics...https://soundcloud.com/tele1310/courante-1

Nicely done. I am doing more videos as well. I find that no matter how well I play pieces in practice, stage tension causes mistakes when I play in front of others. Doing video for me introduces some of that stage tension that I cannot otherwise get in practice, so hopefully the camera and mic will help me manage and overcome it. Plus I get some really funny facial expressions!