Thread: Greyfox Mando Meetup?

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

Default Greyfox Mando Meetup?

Hey folks, It's been a while since I've posted on here but with Grey Fox just around the corner I figured I'd see if anyone was up for doing the mando meetup as we've done in years past. I know I've enjoyed it a lot the last two years I've been there. If so I'll have my Macica A with yet another year of heavy playing under it's belt, and I believe Marty might have a new batch of A's he'd probably bring as well...
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

Daive

Default Re: Greyfox Mando Meetup?

I'll be at Grey Fox this year (first time)being new to mandolin I'll just have the doghouse with me hope to see some Cafe members
    picking and grinning
    Dave.

Hi guys,

I will be there. Very excited! I will be sure to stop by and see Marty. Great mandolins.

Do you want to aim for a certain time? I think they posted the full schedule.

Amanda
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

Mando meet and greet and tasting. Where will it be? If Fred G is able to get a spot ( not and easy thing to do at the busy Grey Fox Festival), He will let me know so you can stop at the Beard Guitar display and I should have the scoop. We will be next D'addario under our tent in vendors row.
    dick wade

so in looking at the schedule, I am shooting for the mando tasting meetup at the slowjam tent at 10:45 on Friday? that tent is not scheduled until noon so we have an hour before we have to start to clear out. Once again D'Addario will show up to support us. Hope to see you there!

Sounds great, Fred. I'll be there with my Stiver.
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

Greyfox was awesome! One of the best to date in my book. The acts were great - but the jams were amazing. I was down by the Grillbilly's tent Friday and Saturday nights and it was hot.

Friday Night, I was across from the Grillbilly's and jammed with a few folks there. I forget her name, but the upright player there sung this awesome version of Little Maggie - her voice and timing were just awesome. One of my favorites that I got to lead was Rye Whiskey - we had the whole area belting that one out. It was awesome.

Saturday was great too though I remember a little less from that night hehe... lots of dancing before jamming.

I got a chance to meet up with the guys from Macica mandolin too. They setup my festival mandolin for me very nicely on site and went through a lot of great setup information.

All in all, great times - I'm already itching for next year!!

I had a great time too, wasn't the weather just awesome?

My mode is to roam the area looking for daytime/evening jams. I might catch an act for a bit. Like Del storytelling, and the Gibson Brothers at the creekside tent. Man that was great, 5 stars, really enjoyed that very much. Up close and personal.

Was hanging with a big group of old and new friends around their campsite, great folks, but they seemed to roam, party hard, and start jamn after the last late night act, and watched the sun come up every day/night. Whew, man I can't do that, LOL ! They are quite experienced at the whole GF scene of many years. Being my first, I needed to stay in good shape, ha!

Did ya'll catch the Revelers at midnight Fri night? They are from my hometown here. I was playing somewhere and could hear the uprising, bet it was crazy!

I learned one thing, it's probably worth my while/time/money to just fly up, rent car/hotel/tent/whatever and do more of GF, and other big fests. Time is short, life is short, there's nothing like this in the deep south because of the heat. I just love the whole big festival scene, and hope to do more, not getting any younger! :-))
    2001 Flatiron F5

Getting in was CHAOS because of the rain tuesday night. Understandably ,they did not let anyone in til 10:30. Authorities did not let campers and cars to line the roads. The Milk Run was one of the holding spots but people just arriving around opening time got in well before me and I was there since the wee hours. Really annoyed us when we were at far end of field. Dangnabit, we drove up to the stage area all the time.

I thought festival was great but the bands really, really lacking. Lacking bands made the pickin even better though. Id rather be picking than watching any day. What? maybe 4 or 5 traditional bluegrass bands. That's lame for one of the biggest bluegrass festivals. Some bands just didn't have that professionalism that I pay $170 to see. There were 2 bands with electric guitars, drums and bass. Different, but Gangster Grass was entertaining.

PS, I could take drums, electric bass...if it was Sam Bush.

I'm with you, Mark. I flew into Albany from NC, rented a car, stayed in nearby Windham and had a blast at GreyFox. You should also check out Merlefest in April in North Carolina; one of the top festivals as well!

I've been going for about 10 years working the stage each year. I moved to San Diego in 2008 and once I was on my feet here, I started flying back for GF every year. I can't see not going - the bands really don't matter a ton to me, it's more of a family reunion than anything else these days.

That said, I thought most of the acts were great. I got in Friday afternoon so I missed Thursday though (Steep Canyon I heard was awesome). Gangsta Grass was so forced it was horrid. I'm all about genre bending but that was absolutely the worst choice of venues for a fake bluegrass band with rappers (and a drum machine). Della Mae was great. The Travelin McCourey's and Del were both awesome too. Without Sam Bush or some other all-star like that, the main stage emptied quick - but that really did help the jamming.

Mark - take a nap in the afternoon, drink a cup (or 3) of your caffeine injection method of choice, and party. The jams just started getting hot around 1am. I was sad to see the sunrise...

I'm looking for any videos I can find of jams too. If anyone runs across them, please post!!