Thread: New feature at Pay The Reckoning

I've just launched a new "mini-interviews" section within Pay The Reckoning.

Comprising a standard few questions, the interviews are designed to find out about the players' influences and motivation, at the same time - hopefully - providing inspiration to those who are not (yet!) at quite the same level as those who make a living from their music.

I'm delighted that one of the first to respond to this new feature is Kevin Macleod, whose albums Springwell and Polbain To Oranmore are perennial favourites among mandolincafe's users! (Not only is Kevin one of the very first to respond, but he does so in exquisite detail and his words are funny, touching and motivating in equal measure!)

Check out the new section at http://www.paythereckoning.com/interviews.html

Many thanks! Keep 'er lit, one and all!

Aidan Crossey

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

Outstanding addition Aidan! Pay the Reckoning is moving from being a resource of fretted Celtic music, to a - RESOURCE. You just keep getting better, and we appreciate it.
    Mandola fever is permanent.

Dolamon ...

That's very kind of you!

If I had time (oh yes ... the perennial gripe, eh!) there's so much I'd like to do. However, this new feature should be pretty streamlined. I'm very grateful to Kevin and to Joe Hennon for being very quick out of the starting blocks!

Aidan

Aidan, these interviews are a real treat! Thank you. Now to get back to working out "Arthur Darley's Jig".
    Steve

Good stuff Aidan,

I particularly enjoyed Kevin's interview. Lots of nice detail, and interesting to see where he's coming from on several aspects of his music.

I share his views on the importance of making the music swinging and danceable, but I was interested to see his views on what good training playing at sessions is for jamming with musicians from other cultures. I hadn't particularly thought of it that way to be honest.

Ali Farke Toure has stayed at my house about 16 years ago when he played at our local hall. We had a jam when we got home, when we just played for ages (just the 2 of us). It seemed to flow surpringly well, although he had trouble with jigs if I remember rightly- was that your experience Kevin?

I note that he cites Bob Brozman as an influence, which I entirely share. I absolutely love his album with Rene Lecaille called Digdig, which has been easily my most played album of the past 2 years. Rene is a musician from Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean. He sings in a sort of Creole French, plays accordion in an entirely unique way, and (of most interest to this site) also plays stringed instruments, particularly the charango and a thing called the tchoulas, which I understand is a form of bouzouki. His group also features a couple of excellent percussionists. Some fascinating cross-rhythms, much of it in 6/8 time.

Bob himself plays guitar and charango, with a lot of slide which he is best known for. It's generally pretty lively stuff, though, if you think slide playing mostly might be slow and soulful.

I have digressed a bit from the Scottish/Irish theme, but I do find the topic of involvement with other musicians quite interesting. I think the best results at this sort of thing usually come from people who really understand their own culture.

Anyway, a good interview.

Slainte,

Dagger.
    David A. Gordon