Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Digital Live Mixers

garded

Default Re: Digital Live Mixers

Oh, oh, GORack! how cool is that! Thanks so much for pointing that out Almeria. My mini system doesn't have AFS and I miss it after so many years of using it in my dbx DriveRack 260. So it is stereo? And you can run the mains mono through one side and the monitors on the other, independently? I'm curious how you go through the setup, it's got such a small screen.

Maybe you could do a little more expanded review(hint, hint)? or is it so basic no need? I'll have to see if there's anything on it on U2oob. I don't really care about the compression, but would love to know about like how many slots the AFS has for each ch. and what kind of eq, and is it stereo. Wall wort? $99, can't beat that! weeeee!

Blog Entries

From what I can tell. the GoRack assigns ten 'floating' notch filters. Unlike on the 'full' DBX Drive Racks where some are fixed and some float, on the GoRack none are fixed.. they all float. I have another version of this same DBX AFS2 algorithm (but with some fixed, some floating) on our Soundcraft Ui16 system, and I must say that having used a variety of such systems over the years (including Sabines, Peavey Feedback Ferret's and older DBX incarnations), I do find the AFS2 system by far the most effective and transparent (only one I like as much is the one on the Line 6 M20d). On the GoRack there are only three adjustments, one suited to speech only (wider notch) one to mixed (speech/music) and one to music (ultra-narrow notch). Sensitivity also varies between these three settings.

The only full, tech review so far is in Sound on Sound magazine (subscription to read full article):

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar1...dbx-gorack.htm

I am a subscriber, so I can report that they like it..summary: "Excellent sound quality... effective feedback suppression... hugely effective piece of kit for the live performer....professional level of performance...feedback section particularly impressive in killing ringing without messing up the sound". Obviously, some aspects of it would be of no interest to "us", such as sub syntheziser (unless you run discos on the side, possibly and the EQ on outputs are preset only), but really, it is the AFS that I think would be of main interest here, and $99 for a really good AFS is silly cheap! I can remember when you could pay 10X that and they were not even close to being as transparent as the new AFS2 is.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

3. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

TonyP 

Almeria, you're a great guy and all that, but you are seriously bad for my bank balance! Ordered a GoRack yesterday. My wife is gigging a lot these days with an acoustic band where they mike the space rather than individual instruments. Feedback can be a big issue, and this is just perfect as a 'set and forget' solution. Thanks for spotting this!
    Tim Mundy
    www.slipperyhill.co.uk
    2002 Gibson F5 Fern
    1920 Gibson A2
    2005 Gibson A5L
    Rigel A+ Deluxe Custom
    1926 Gibson TB1 Tenor Banjo
    1963 Epiphone TF28 Tenor Guitar
    Ovation MM868 Mandocello
    1987 Rob Armstrong Mandolinetto