Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At what point do I upgrade to a better instrument

Default At what point do I upgrade to a better instrument

I've been playing for about 6 months. I first started on an $89.00 mandolin by Guitar Works. Thought it was ok but then I went to a Loar 220-lm and the difference in playability and sound was night and day. I also have an Oscar Schmidt Washburn OM40. So I'm planning ahead to the fall and thinking I could sell these two and add some money to it. I've been looking at Kentucky Mandolin in the 800 series, Eastman and other Loars. What is your opinion. Would upgrading in that direction give me a better instrument. I think I would have a budget of about $1000. If go to one mandolin I would like to stay with the F style--the only reason is that I like the scroll design. It looks like I could get about $350 for each of the two I have. Any ideas?

Default Re: At what point do I upgrade to a better instrument

If you enjoy playing then get the instrument you want. There is no cure for MAS (Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome). Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

That's crazy... I also started on a $90 mandolin then went to the Loar LM220, except that I played each for around 3 years. I guess you're following the same path as I... but quicker

What I've found when looking for a new mandolin is the difference between my Loar 220 and something around $1000 is noticeable, but not night and day like it is between a $90 mandolin and the Loar. That's why I'm still on my Loar 220.

I'd recommend an Eastman if you're looking to upgrade again. They've got that ringing treble sound you usually only find in much more expensive mandolins. If I were to be looking for a new mandolin right now, I'd probably go with an Eastman.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cech View Post
    I think I would have a budget of about $1000. If go to one mandolin I would like to stay with the F style--the only reason is that I like the scroll design. It looks like I could get about $350 for each of the two I have. Any ideas?
    You can occasionally find a Kentucky KM-1000 at the top of your budget, and my guess is that you'd find it to be a considerable upgrade.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

I'd be looking at this:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/76916

For $900 you can't go wrong; these mandolins are a great deal for basically a Gibson A5L.
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

Upgrade whenever you see fit. I've been noodling for about a 1.5 years and I'm upgrading myself. I started with a Breedlove FF and have a custom F5 coming within the next few months. For me it was about playability and investment. As I grew I found the wide fingerboard isn't a good fit for me. I chose to go custom because I wanted a mandolin that would be a lifelong instrument.

I've been playing music since I was a kid and jumped between piano, guitar, and now mandolin. Having gone through the seemingly endless upgrade process, I was determined this time would be the last (hey, I can dream).

All the best to you on your search!
    Kimble #220
    R. Taylor Style 2 Sinker Redwood/Madagascar Rosewood

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cech View Post
    .....Would upgrading in that direction give me a better instrument. I think I would have a budget of about $1000. If go to one mandolin I would like to stay with the F style--the only reason is that I like the scroll design. It looks like I could get about $350 for each of the two I have. Any ideas?
    Whatever you get, suggest keeping one of the mandolins that you have now. Having a backup always seems to a good move.

If F-style is the pleasure, there are a few interesting ones in the Classifieds (the Eastman caught my eye). Also, paying more is not necessarily "upgrading." If the goal is to upgrade the OM40, then the Eastman 315 in the Classifieds (or one like it) does that for sure, and the 220 is a decent a-style. That's a great pair of instruments to have.
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zawacki View Post
    If F-style is the pleasure, there are a few interesting ones in the Classifieds (the Eastman caught my eye). Also, paying more is not necessarily "upgrading." If the goal is to upgrade the OM40, then the Eastman 315 in the Classifieds (or one like it) does that for sure, and the 220 is a decent a-style. That's a great pair of instruments to have.
    Link: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/77350.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I'm with Marc - Eastman, to me, is ahead of the pack. But if you can deal with an A style, you can't go wrong with Flatiron - they are in a different league.

Must. Keep. Practicing. Ben Cooper's Avatar

After less than a year I knew I wanted to keep playing and learning. I skipped right from a Fender FM-100 to a custom Girouard A. The difference is, like you said, night and day!
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

I realize that you set your price range at $1000, but if you could stretch to $1500-1600 and buy a used instrument, you can get a top-level mandolin like a Collings or Weber. I know that's not what you asked in your post, but I personally hate upgrading over and over so I thought I'd chime in.

I've been playing for just over a year. Started on a The Loar 220VS, moved to an Eastman 615, and a Crystal Forest Army Navy mandolin and at this time I am having Martin Jacobson making a mandolin of his design for me. If you have the discretionary income, go for it. I am happy with all of my purchases( I'll sell the 220VS when I can).

I've been playing about 7 months and I put my dream mando on layaway recently. Basically my advice is upgrade when you feel you feel like you're ready. Keep saving $$ . My better mando came to me in somewhat unplanned way and the layaway terms were extended/set up just for me, so it all fell into place perfectly. That's always a good sign. Good luck!!!
    Proud owner of a Breedlove Premier Series Limited Edition FF!

Well, my Eastman 315 is great and it's really all I'd need.....that said, I got a case of MAS and ordered a custom mandolin recently. It's a big jump but I know I'll keep playing and I don't want to spend extra money constantly upgrading that costs more in the long run.

If you think you'll keep up playing then save up and get one that really speaks to you. Of course, nothing says this will be my last mandolin......
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Blog Entries

Look, here's the deal. The only reason you NEED a new mandolin is if the one you're playing is broken, or you cringe every time you play at it. Otherwise, you have MAS, but not a need. Given that you're new at the instrument, the decision tree is very simple:

• You may know exactly what you need, for now and forever (upgrade); or more likely:
    • You may not stick with it (don't need an upgrade), or
    • You may find that you prefer an F when your upgrade is an A, or an A if you bought an F (DNAU), or
    • You may find that you prefer octave mandolin, or mandola (DNAU); or
    • or that you'd rather have five inexpensive instruments (mandolin, mandola, octave mandolin, tenor guitar and of course banjo) than one expensive mandolin (DNAU); or
    • you may later want a totally different instrument than what you would upgrade to now (DNAU).

Seems like the "need an upgrade" loses on the plurality, doesn't it?

The thing is that every upgrade costs you money--not only in terms of the additional cost, but in the cost of buying and selling the in-between instruments that aren't quite good enough. You lose on every transaction, both in terms of the loss in value and all of the new-instrument-new-accoutrements thing. I calculated it at one point and figured out that if I counted up all of my in-between instruments (and I'm only counting mandolin, not classical guitar, or banjo) I could have bought a $10,000 mandolin and saved money. People disagree with me on this, but the bottom line is that until you spend well over about $2500 you're not going to get a really nice instrument. So save your money, learn, and calendar it to think about it in a year. (Though you should right now pay for a set up and new strings!) And when you buy, buy used from one of the Café sponsors.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to belbein For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I think you are trading your om40 for a scroll.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

At what point do I upgrade to a better instrument ?
    - now. (as a general rule, now )

20. The following members say thank you to robert.najlis for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Ferry View Post
    That's crazy... I also started on a $90 mandolin then went to the Loar LM220, except that I played each for around 3 years. I guess you're following the same path as I... but quicker

What I've found when looking for a new mandolin is the difference between my Loar 220 and something around $1000 is noticeable, but not night and day like it is between a $90 mandolin and the Loar. That's why I'm still on my Loar 220.
    This is a good point, it's the law of diminishing returns.

Yes, definitely, upgrade to the Eastman. That will keep you set up for a long while.

If you have the capital now, upgrade now. Why wait until the fall?
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

Ditto to what a lot of people said. I started with a Loar 520, played that for about a year and now have had a Eastman 815 for about a year and a half. It's a great mandolin! No complaints. Of course due to MAS I have a Collings on my radar as my next one, but that won't be for awhile.

My rule of thumb is that I buy what I want as long as I'm not hurting my family. I have a personal allowance that allows me to buy a few toys here and there.

Everyone has a different income level and family obligations, so it's really up to you. But I can tell you the law of diminishing returns certainly applies to mandolins. In other words, a $1000 mandolin is not necessarily twice as good as a $500 one.

I had a very nice oval hole A mandolin, but in my heart I wanted a Gibson F. It took me 20 years to buy it (see the part about family obligations above), but I'm extremely happy with it.

So... figure out what you really want, and start saving up for it. It's cheaper that way in the long run.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    I'd be looking at this:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/76916

For $900 you can't go wrong; these mandolins are a great deal for basically a Gibson A5L.
    Nick is right. Nashville made Flatirons are a whole lotta mandolin for the money.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

If you think it's time to upgrade, it probably is. The longer you play, the more educated your ears become. There's nothing wrong with intermediate steps IMO so I'd encourage you to look at what your spending limit is and go for the top of that. Chances are, the next time you want to upgrade, you'll have different standards or different needs -- even if it's just "I need a flat top" or "I need a bowlback" or "I need an OM." But an intermediate instrument may be exactly what suits for the next decade.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

I am not sure there is a rule on this. I purchased my Weber "Bighorn" less than a year after I started to learn. Was not a bad decision.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

First there is never a right or wrong time to upgrade your Mandolin. This is up to you and what you want and feel. I too played a loar and
    upgraded to the Loar LM-400 with CA Bridge. I have been completely happy that I did. This Mandolin will get me through a lot of practice
    and Jams and of course continued learning. I am very satisfied at this point and time. Down the road in another year or two I will upgrade
    and will get rid of my Loar 520 and place a decent amount of cash with it and go after the Mandolin that I want. Right now I am very
    content. I will tell you that those starter Mandolins will seem like why did I ever buy this once you get a better to good Mandolin in your
    hands. Long as your sure that you will continue to play the Mandolin and that you really want to play it means any time your ready
    to upgrade is the right time. Only advice I will give you is to take your time now and play them and make sure it's a Mandolin of quality
    that you will be satisfied with. If you have any doubts on the Mandolin that you want to purchase then walk awy and revisit it another
    day. Also when this happens play something else in your price range if you can so you can do a comparison to see if that Mandolin was
    the right one or not. This should be a fun and exciting time, just remember to have patience and find a Mandolin that sounds great to
    you and feels comfortable to play. Lastly, When you get that new Mandolin let us know and take pictures of it.

Sincerely
    Andy