Thread: My first Gypsy Jazz jam session

Default My first Gypsy Jazz jam session

I got hooked on the sound of Gypsy Jazz eight months ago and started my transformation from progressive bluegrasser to rookie gadjo.

I started my GJ CD collection, subscribed to the GJ channel of JazzRadio.com, joined the forum at Djangobooks.com and woodshedded on three-note swing chords, arpeggios, standard repertoire and playing the "3 and 7" during improvs with Youtube song charts.

All-in-all, a lonely but necessary existence.

Bluegrass season has hit full swing in Virginia and I made my annual trek to the Graves Mountain Festival May 29-31, resigned to teaching my guitar-playing buddy some GJ tunes and joining some bluegrass jams.

But a funny thing happened. My old bass player had been taking swing guitar lessons. The fiddler from the next campsite was intrigued by the sound of jazz and wanted to give it a try. His bass player had played jazz in prior years and still had the touch.

All of a sudden, we had a quartet! My first GJ jam! Granted, my "pompe" probably needed work and we didn't tackle anything harder than "Lady Be Good", "Caravan", "Blue Skies" and the like, but it "swung". It actually "swung"!

You should have seen the smiles on our faces. This is going to be a great summer.
    "Got time to breathe, got time for music" -- Briscoe Darling

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jim Gallaher For This Useful Post:

Default Re: My first Gypsy Jazz jam session

You should come to the Pacific NW to some festivals sometime. There are many Jazz jams at many these.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Thanks, Pete. I hope to make it to Djangofest Northwest in two years when I set off cross-country for an extended period.

Unfortunately, the GJ festival scene is non-existent in Virginia. Now I know how those in the "bluegrass wasteland" have suffered all these years.

Great post. Like you, I've caught the bug. Having started out as a guitarist, had played bass in some jazz bands years ago, and had more recent good times playing the mandolin, I'm finding that the Gypsy Jazz is a terrific genre for the mandolin. The music's catchy, really interesting to play, and creates a terrific palette for some interesting explorations of the instrument.

I've been a bit more fortunate in finding some folks in the Baltimore and Washington areas. While not a huge scene, there are some folks with that interest. Sounds like you've found some converts, so perhaps you're well on your way!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gallaher View Post
    Thanks, Pete. I hope to make it to Djangofest Northwest in two years when I set off cross-country for an extended
    Plan on Weiser as well (National Oldtime Fiddlers Contest) in June each year. GREAT jazz jams and players there.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

7. The following members say thank you to Pete Martin for this post:

Jim also check out Django in June; it's closer to you than to me. I'm hitting Djangofest NW for the first time this year.

Django in June is a definite possibility next year. I checked the prep for camp page for this year's session and decided I was only 70 percent ready.

I've read elsewhere that there are 200-225 attendees but I don't have any idea how many are mandolin players. My guess is just a few, since guitars seem to be the primary focus with violins running second. Does anyone have an idea of how mando-friendly DIJ would be?

Although not a jazz musician I happen to move into Django-territory once in a while. Here's my take on "The sheik of araby"-
    The final mando solo is more grassy than jazzy, but for those who read music, I recommend "Gypsy Jazz Violin" by Martin Noorgard. It's more than a collection of Django-style licks. it offers diverse concepts such as inner melody or appraoching notes.
    https://soundcloud.com/tele1310/the-...of-new-orleans