Thread: Any last minute suggestions?

Default Any last minute suggestions?

Hi. I'm new. I currently do not have a mandolin, but am getting one very soon. (I am in the process of trading in a bunch of electric guitar stuff to get a banjo, and there should be enough left to get a decent mandolin.) My budget is right around $300 give or take. Here are my thoughts as a complete noob. Please correct where necessary.

1) I like an F-style really just for look, but from what I understand I can get an overall better quality instrument for the price if I go with an A-style. I'd prefer quality and tone over looks.

2) At this price point I cannot get anything decent with a pick up. At this price point I CAN get a decent mandolin that would be worth putting a pick up into. In other words, I wouldn't just have to upgrade the whole thing. (My primary instrument is acoustic guitar, and so I would likely only be playing mandolin from time-to-time.)

That being considered I think I am going to go with a Kentucky KM-160, but I'd like to hear from those of you who have more experience with these sorts of thing. I like the Loar 220, but for an extra $100 I can't it being work it. Again please correct me if I'm wrong.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Any last minute suggestions?

For $300, I'd be thinking the Kentucky KM-150 http://elderly.com/new_instruments/n...in--KM150S.htm and the K&K Twin Pickup http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/KK8-INT.htm with Elderly's current 10% off promotion.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

What is the main difference between the KM 150, and the 160? I honestly wasn't sure, so I just figured the 160 was upgraded somehow.

Nevermind, I found it in the forum.