Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Practice Census

Default Re: Practice Census

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Post 24 is spot on. And for #3, I would add solid rhythm work. It's an art form unto its own, with subtleties and shades that can really make or break good accompaniment.
    +1 on rhythm or backup playing.

Especially with an instrument as rhythmic as the mandolin, it's a total gas to play rhythm! I especially love Dawg's and Sam's rhythm playing on mandolin, and Doc's and Tony's on guitar. So much to learn, so little time . . .
    Clark Beavans

You betcha. There's more than the chop at play here, much more. There's double- and triple-stop voicings, pick attack, volume spike, laying back, rhythmic counterpoint, etc.

And speaking of the chop, I love how so many pickers get it slightly differently. From showing/hiding chord tone to woofy thwacking to click track work to ahead of/behind the beat to ....

Always loved a Wayne quote: "....otherwise, the banjo will sound like a forklift and and the mandolin will sound like a spoon."

Much success in your plans. I did the same with trumpet and guitar. Now that I am retired and 68y.o. and have taken a shine to the mandolin, I am playing for my amazement and for my grade school age grandkids amusement....I want them to remember the Fun part of playing an instrument.. By all means do your drills,scales, and theory in a diligent manner, but play for the sheer joy of playing. Play for kids, old folks,and whomever.

4. The following members say thank you to DGW1945 for this post:

1) I'm working on lots of things, really:
    • Soloing. Specifically, being better at following the chords, and being more creative.
    • Backing myself up when singing. I'm working on doing more than just chopping in order to fill in the space.
    • Becoming a bit more economical with my left hand.
    • Relaxing when playing, and being aware.

2) In 5 years, I want to reach the level of proficiency with my mandolin where I can truly provide enjoyment not just to myself but to others. That is, I'd like to be at the level where I'm playing gigs regularly. I guess I want to be a semi-pro in 5 years.

3) I think what's more important than any piece of technique advice is to enjoy the music you make. Be relaxed, aware, and listening, and you will derive great enjoyment from mandolin playing!

After reading all the good info in these 29 posts, my suggestion to new players is make a list of those tunes you want to learn (from one a day which = over 300/year, to those wanting to know 2000 tunes). Then periodically go back and re-play from the list or you will not remember all of them. Also, beside each title, write the key or keys you play them in.
    Enjoy,
    Lee

1. What skills are you trying to develop in your own playing? Where do you think you most need to improve?

Right hand technique. String crossing at fast tempos. Keep my plucking hand/wrist relaxed enough for good endurance, and to keep up with what my left hand can do.

2. What are some goals you have for the next five years?

Memorize as much Bach as I can. At least get the notes into my head and fingers, so that if I lose my eyesight before I lose my motor skills, I can keep on playing and be sure to have enough to play and work on without ever getting bored.

3. If you could emphasize one skill to a beginner, what would it be?

Learn to read music. (Just one? LOL) I'd add this - no matter how much you've learned and progressed, always keep your left thumb loose and flexible. Keep it so completely relaxed that someone could sneak up behind you at any time, and with minimal effort, gently lift it off your instrument's neck, and you could keep on playing without skipping a beat.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel