Thread: Oh, no, another newbie!

Default Oh, no, another newbie!

After lurking for several weeks, it's time to stick my neck out and not fret that you'll pick on me or think I'm a nut. I'm trying to bridge the major change from working to retirement; after years of being tightly wound, but never completely unstrung (just a little tremulous, knock on wood), I'm geared up for play time.

Ok, got that out of my system.

I got my first mandolin in the late sixties, after a few years of playing stringed bass, then tenor recorder. I'm kind of a hermit player, just for myself, have never had the urge to play for or with others. I don't do chords, just the melody line, and I play mostly folk (very old, medium old, folk revival, anything folky or folkish), cowboy tunes, old pop/American songbook, and I'm trying to learn a little Brazilian jazz and light classical. I alternate playing by ear and sight reading, as each seems to help me improve on the other.

There I am in a nutshell!
    "The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret" -- (Terry Pratchett, The Truth) R.I.P. and say "ook" to the Librarian for me.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ellen T For This Useful Post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Default Re: Oh, no, another newbie!

Welcome to the Cafe Ellen!

The world of mandolins can be mind-numbingly obtuse at times; but fun!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

I played a lot for about 10 or 12 years, then just very intermittently for about three decades. I was actually afraid to try to read music again after so many years, but only had to use a cheat sheet for a few minutes before it all came back to me - and my playing by ear had improved, have no idea why. Now I have to find the balance between playing for fun and challenging myself without it becoming a frustrating chore. I keep telling myself: all practicing is playing, and all playing is practicing. It keeps it enjoyable, but makes me try to also keep learning.
    "The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret" -- (Terry Pratchett, The Truth) R.I.P. and say "ook" to the Librarian for me.

Blog Entries

Hey, Welcome. Your description kind of matches how I play as well. We're glad you're here!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Welcome and congratulations on the most puns found in a paragraph ever in the history of this forum, or perhaps even the entie history of human communication!

Glad to hear that it is fun time for you and don't you be afraid of them chords!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

Thanks for the nice welcomes!

I may have tried chords somewhere back when we had a dinosaur in the yard, but I just can't think in multiple notes. And, since my singing offends the dog, I'm happy with playing melody.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen T View Post
    Thanks for the nice welcomes!

I may have tried chords somewhere back when we had a dinosaur in the yard, but I just can't think in multiple notes. And, since my singing offends the dog, I'm happy with playing melody.
    I only play melody at the moment also. I understand not being unable to think in multiple notes. I can play 4 chords but I don't know what they're called. Glad to have another newbie. Welcome. I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I have!
    JBovier A5 2012 (Jaybo)
    Kentucky 140

Quote Originally Posted by kevbuch View Post
    I can play 4 chords but I don't know what they're called.
    What notes do they consist of?

Quote Originally Posted by kevbuch View Post
    I only play melody at the moment also. I understand not being unable to think in multiple notes. I can play 4 chords but I don't know what they're called. Glad to have another newbie. Welcome. I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I have!
    Thanks kevbuch. At least with playing melody, it's easier to tell if you are hitting the right notes! I've learned so much just lurking here that I felt I needed to join to earn my keep - and to be in some great company.

...And, since my singing offends the dog, I'm happy with playing melody.
    There's critic in every crowd. Welcome aboard!!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Try the new "Mandolin for Dummies" book. I think you'll find a lot of useful things in it and may get you ready to emerge from your hermit cage. Posting here is a great 1st position.
    I too have mostly been a hermit player, though I get out and listen to music and occasionally attend a jam with Friends of Traditional Music here in Austin. In took up mandolin only about 6 years ago, having previously enjoyed several other instruments: recorder, harmonica, button accordion, flute, clarinet. I had only briefly tried playing a guitar, but it just didn't click with me. Mandolin was immediately enjoyable and understandable.
    There must be some sort of folk jam group in the St. Louis area. Here's a calendar I found with a quick search. It includes some Jams. http://kdhx.org/music/news/the-yonder-calendar
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Registered User Mike Steadfast-Ward's Avatar

Welcome Ellen T.

Always nice to see a new face -- welcome to the café!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Thanks for the additional welcomes! I may eventually venture into chord territory, but just as an enhancement to playing melody. I don't know if my somewhat arthritic (and nerve-damaged) fingers would cooperate on that level. I know I can't shift fret positions as fast as I could 30 or 40 years ago. I just do what I can with what I have, and hope to keep it up for many more enjoyable years.

Blog Entries

There is a lot of things I can't do like I did 30 years ago, but I have never been able to "mean it" as much as I do now.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Newbie Seeking Clues tangleweeds's Avatar

I'm kind of a hermit player, just for myself, have never had the urge to play for or with others. I don't do chords, just the melody line, and I play mostly folk
    Ellen, you could be describing me! Only I'm just a beginner...

Welcome to the forum!
    recurrent beginner spring 2020 (2016, 2014, 2010)

Eastman MD-515 ... Kentucky KM-172 ... Trinity College Octave TC-325B ... Rogue RM-100A
    various "artisan tweaked" tin whistles ... digital piano ... other small instruments ... way too much sheet music

Must. Keep. Practicing. Ben Cooper's Avatar

Welcome Ellen T! Glad you could join the bunch!
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

I have to join in as another hermit player. I've only been at the mandolin about two months. I play melody, no chords yet, absolutely no singing. I find the mandolin much easier for melody than the guitar. I was away from guitar for 40 years and didn't enjoy going back to it as much as I thought I would. I really enjoy the mandolin.

Welcome Ellen T., you should find this a very friendly site to be involved in. There is a social group here that posts a tune of the week that is popular, perhaps that would be a social stepping stone to eventually play with other folks.
    As for the other, self described "hermits" chiming in, it reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw decades ago that read "Hermits of America Unite!"

Have fun and keep on picking.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    There is a lot of things I can't do like I did 30 years ago, but I have never been able to "mean it" as much as I do now.
    When there are a lot more years in the rear-view mirror than in the front windshield, it gives more urgency and passion to everything.

Thanks, I'll check out the tune of the week group. If nothing else, it will give me more ideas to fill the notebook I keep of tunes I have played or plan to play.

For all you younger, newer hermits: If it's how you truly want to approach your playing, that's cool, but be careful of letting it become a habit if you're just procrastinating joining in with others.

Welcome to the Cafe', Ellen. My son lives in Wildwood, MO., I don't know where you live in the area, but if you're ever looking for a good music store with a nice assortment of mandolins, try Fazio's (NFI) in Ballwin...great store.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Arakelian View Post
    Welcome to the Cafe', Ellen. My son lives in Wildwood, MO., I don't know where you live in the area, but if you're ever looking for a good music store with a nice assortment of mandolins, try Fazio's (NFI) in Ballwin...great store.
    Thanks! I live in the city, so the closest store for me is Music Folk in Webster Groves, fabulous staff there. If I ever get waaaay out in west county, I'll check out Fazio's. I don't quite have MAS, but I always enjoy a good drool.

Mike A., I just noticed that you're from eastern NC. I had ancestors from the giant metropolis of Frying Pan Landing in Tyrrell County, just down (up?) the river from Pity My Shoe. Two of the best named places ever!

Mike A., I just noticed that you're from eastern NC. I had ancestors from the giant metropolis of Frying Pan Landing in Tyrrell County, just down (up?) the river from Pity My Shoe. Two of the best named places ever!
    I'm sorry to say I've never been in either place, but Tyrell County is not all that far away...maybe some day? I have, however, been to Music Folk in Webster Grove several times...neat store often with some interesting consignments. Driving moderate distances in search of a good mandolin to play is never a problem.