Thread: Cheap A-5 style on ebay, Thoughts?

Default Cheap A-5 style on ebay, Thoughts?

has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270848602280...84.m1423.l2649

Since I have had so much luck with some low-dollar mandolins in the past and my 6 year old has been feeling left out when I play, I thought about picking one of these up. Wouldn't mind having it for a beater (at least from the pictures) especially if there is even a hint of tone to them.

I still have to finish paying off my Eastman (almost there) but thought this might be pretty decent for the price.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Cheap A-5 style on ebay, Thoughts?

For the price -- $70 for the instrument and $30 for shipping -- I'd rather have the used Kentucky KM150 at the Ocean (New Jersey) Guitar Center.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I bought one once that was represented as a mandola, it turned out to be an octave. It had a ply top. I ended up modifiying, reshaped and rebound the sound-hole. I got rid of it in a trade.

Funny part was the old lady selling it to offset medical expenses for her husband, it was his favorite. Same seller immediately put another one up for sale (I guess he had several favorites, lol!)

Almost any solid top would be a better choice.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

Once in a while you can get lucky, especially if you all you want us something for a limited purpose that will need new strings immediately and you are capable of doing a decent set-up. Odds are the nut needs filing at minimum, and that the current strings are too heavy for it.

The real question is whether you want to gamble $100 for a no-name "Rogue" competitor?
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Good points, all of them. The seller has "make an offer."

Doing a set up is no big deal, just wondering how big that actually is. Says 9" width. Might be just small enough for my little girl to get her arm around.

I'm still playing a Kentucky/Saga with a ply top and a Washburn. I like my Saga so much more than the Washburn, even though the Washburn supposedly has a carved solid top and it already has developed a high fret. Even after a pro setup on it, my Saga/Kentucky has a better (more to my liking) tone.

Funny, I was looking for a case when I stumbled upon that. I'll just put it on the Fav's list. Maybe I'll make the seller an offer in a couple of weeks after the Eastman comes home.

$49.99 and free shipping... no brainer... Rogue RM-100A. NFI!!!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

too bad it's not an oval hole, but bears serious consideration in the "Molly" beater category...

I saw that one too ... Harmonia or something. Judging by the photos it looks really cheaply made. I mean, ply is ply (nothin' wrong with quality layered wood) but it literally reminds me of paneling taken off a wall.

I am also not sure why it was called an A-5 unless that is what the label says. Certainly doesn't resemble most A-5's.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Jim 

I am bailing on the whole exercise. After looking up the Rogue, found it in black and sunburst and with a Uke (also Rogue) at one shop on the 'bay and Musician's friend came out $10 cheaper still (same kind of package).

I don't need another Mandolin, must be MAS. I'm really trying to get my youngest interested in an instrument that I don't want to smash (her current uke is such a POS). But she is so tiny that she can't hold up a full sized A mandolin. I'll get her a better Uke and tune it like a Mando, or learn it myself as I'm teaching her. I can already make her POS sound good (while it stays in tune for 15 minutes).

Before we get into the uke she has, the tuners are the problem and even a cheap set of tuners would cost more than the uke. The "fretboard" is a piece of ply or something that has raised bumps for frets. It's warped and coming up on the edges.

My wife actually paid money for it.

Regardless, encouraging your child's musical development is a "no brainer"....you are a great Dad taking care of his child. I would look at pawn shops at least every week or two..and take her with you.