Thread: Instrument building books

Default Instrument building books

Busy weekend for me when it comes to posting questions on the forum. Because of me the moderators might start limiting how much you can post each week. Jk

As mentioned in previous posts I have built my fair share of cigar box instruments and a couple saga Mando kits. I also own the simonoff mandolin book. I am going to take a stab at a scratch build uke and flat top tenor guitar or Flat top Mando before I jump into a carved top. Any books that are a must have in my building library?? Covering Templates/blueprints, Thicknesses, Details on joints, or any other specific tips? Do you recommend any books in addition to the simonoff book that I should buy? And/or specific websites that have helped you get started?

Thanks again for ALL of your guidance.

Default Re: Instrument building books

For a really good general building book I'd recommend "Guitarmaking - Tradition and Technology" by William R Cumpiano and Jonathan D Natelson. It covers all the basics you might want to get a grounding in guitar construction and a lot more besides. ISBN for my edition is: 0-8118-0640-5.

Graham McDonald's "The Mandolin Project"

4. The following members say thank you to Tommcgtx for this post:

Thanks tomm and john. Ordered one of the two and looking into the other

If you want to take on a flat top mandolin you might get John Troughton's The Mandolin Manual in addition to Graham's The Mandolin Project.

Edit: I just noticed the price of The Mandolin Manual that I linked to. When I purchased mine a few years ago it was less than 1/2 of that amount.
    Sure makes Graham's book seem a great bargain.
    Bill Snyder

7. The following members say thank you to Bill Snyder for this post:

Bob Benedetto's Archtop Guitar Construction book and/or the DVD series. Or both.

9. The following members say thank you to Dale Ludewig for this post:

Bill. Nice. . Yeah. I'll hold off on that book for the moment.

I've really enjoyed Making Stringed Instruments by George Buchanan (http://www.amazon.com/Making-Stringe...p/0806974648); it mainly focuses on the violin but has a section on the flat-top mandolin and mandola/octave mandolin and a short section on the classical guitar. It has a good intro section on setting up a workshop and the tools you will need and even how to make some. Some of the info in the violin section applies to carved-top mandos too.

Also, Violin Making: A Practical Guide by Juliet Barker (http://www.amazon.com/Violin-Making-.../dp/1861264364) is a little more specifically oriented but still has good information for other instruments. The final section on finishing and varnishing is particularly detailed.

12. The following members say thank you to Petrus for this post: