Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going blond

Default Re: Going blond

I didn't find "The Loar" finish to be all that thick, it's just a lot of work to take off finish carefully without screwing up the instrument. It came off pretty easily. Find an older Korean Michael Kelly, now that's thick and impenetrable poly... I suggest a few coats of tru-oil just for durability. I also suggest that somewhere along the line modifications that dramatically improve the instruments playability and sound quality, will increase the value rather than hurt it.
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

I heartily agree. The value to me would be the experience of making a mediocre mandolin, the most it could be. I'd like to build, but am a little nervous about pulling the trigger on a kit. Refinishing a beater, or entry level PacRim mando, would give me an idea of finishing process.

I personally believe you have a keeper there, but personal taste may vary. Hope it sounds as good as it looks (probably does) and you get to enjoy it for a long time to come.

I love the natural wood look as well. My mandola, OM and Godin 5th Ave are non stained. I did buy a cheapo blond F style before I got this one. So it was for both reasons... and my godin a8, strat and mandobird still have sunbursts
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

It looks pretty good now I think
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	132328
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Barry Wilson For This Useful Post:

Wow Barry - that looks great! I have a Pono koa ukulele that I started scraping a while back (I had dropped it and the headstock cracked so the resale value was moot anyway). The finish is crazy thick - I'm going to have to get back at it. Thanks for posting!
    Adam

www.santabarbarasessions.com
    www.adamphillipsmusic.com
    http://www.facebook.com/santabarbarasessions
    Collings MT2
    Big Muddy M2
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber Gallitan Octave
    Picotte Mandocello

Blog Entries

Good job.

I am firmly in the camp of not being held "hostage" to the resale value. Make it what you want it to be and enjoy it. To have not quite what you want in order to preserve some hypothetical future value that only occurs when you get rid of it anyway...

Good job.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Thanks guys. I don't consider resale myself. I just call myself an instrument collector hehe. I am super happy with it. She is my baby. The wood grain is really pretty under all that crap. I more often give instruments away rather than sell them. This one will remain with me a long time. I was going to sell the Godin at one point but it has it's place.

Barry
    that's a fine looking job. I think it looks killer!

thanks for posting, some good info in this thread on the finish work.
    d

10. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post: