Thread: Interesting Gibson second-line tenor

Default Interesting Gibson second-line tenor

We've seen plenty of Gibson-made instruments with the CapitAl brand, made for JW Jenkins department stores.

But here's an archtop tenor with a CapitOl brand. Very fancy headstock. Looks as nice or nicer than a Gibson-branded TG50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1915-Gibson-...item2ed0f2bfaa
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Default Re: Interesting Gibson second-line tenor

The listing says it's a 1915. Could that be the case? I thought most of the second-line instruments were later (30s?) It's also possible that the serial number is one of those that got recycled over the years.

No, it's impossible. The tenor guitar hadn't been invented in 1915, and Gibson wasn't making any archtop F-hole guitars in the teens. According to Paul Fox, the second-line period goes from 1928 to 1961. I'm sure we have some folks who can zero in on an approximate date for this.

The seller is looking at a FON and thinking it's a serial number.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

[QUOTE=mrmando;1279936]No, it's impossible. The tenor guitar hadn't been invented in 1915, and Gibson wasn't making any archtop F-hole guitars in the teens.....

Yep. And those Klusons would make me think 50's 60's. Maybe replacements ? Certainly not teens. Looks like an old box though. Upper bout looks almost as wide as the lower !! Seems like a reasonable price. Would make a dandy of a 6-string, or Cello conversion.

I don't see any stray screw holes or impressions around the tuners, so at first glance I'd say they are original. What year were closed-gear Klusons introduced? It's gotta be sometime in the 1950s, yes?

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

"Interesting"? There's an understatement.

Coolness just got a new definition.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Very cool. Any ideas on the Capital vs. Capitol?
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dobe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    No, it's impossible. The tenor guitar hadn't been invented in 1915, and Gibson wasn't making any archtop F-hole guitars in the teens.....
    Yep. And those Klusons would make me think 50's 60's. Maybe replacements ? Certainly not teens. Looks like an old box though. Upper bout looks almost as wide as the lower !! Seems like a reasonable price. Would make a dandy of a 6-string, or Cello conversion.
    Very cool find!

The box I think is the regular Gibson L-5 box that was used on the L-5, L-50, L-48 and TG-50 and of course the K-5. But this is the mahogany back and sides version not maple like the higher end models. I don't think I've ever seen an L-48 or TG-50 with maple though.

I'm pretty sure that the photo making the upper bout look too wide is a illusion. On thing that does look a little strange to me is the nut. Gibson put a 1 1/8" nut on all their tenor guitars and that one looks to be on the short side?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.