Thread: sweet spot

Default sweet spot

Hi Ive got an Eastman 615 the sweet spot is around the 20 th fret ... problem is when i play there I'm getting a clicking sound from the pick hitting the frets .. so im thinking about scolloping it out from the 18 fret ... i think i read In here that not much playing is done past the 17 fret ?. i need advise gotta do something ......

Default Re: sweet spot

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just move your picking hand towards the bridge as you move up the fretboard ? Classical guitarists call the twangy, bright, metallic sound near the bridge "ponticello" and the "sweet sound" that tends to the midpoint of the active length of string "sul tasto". The physics of this is well rehearsed.

But perhaps I'm missing something, I don't get "tubbiness" either.

Duh! I see what you mean, but nevertheless is not still a picking hand issue ?

There are two things you can do. No, three. No, four. No five.

1. Somehow learn to pick at that point without hitting the frets.
    2. Get the fretboard scooped or cut off
    3. Get another mandolin.
    4. Learn to love the way it sounds when you pick nearer to the bridge.
    5. Don't worry about the pick click.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

If you're running it through an equalizer or a preamp, you might cut down the mid-range a little.

If it's going through a mixer, see if there's a mid-range control there. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it make little difference in the quality of sound and sometimes it's a lot.

i guess i should have asked... how important are the 19,20,21,22, 23, frets to most mando players i know there not important to me

Quote Originally Posted by wag1943 View Post
    i guess i should have asked... how important are the 19,20,21,22, 23, frets to most mando players i know there not important to me
    If they're not important to you, they're not important to you. That's the only thing that matters. If you get struck by lightning and decide to use those frets a lot, then scooping it out would be a problem.

To more directly answer your question, those frets are indeed rarely used by mostly players, depending on style of course.
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

Thanks i guess thats what i wanted to hear... i dont want to do something ill regret later ....

I have a really dumb question......someone explain "sweet spot" to me in terms of the mandolin...please.

for me its the place where you get the best sound volume, tone ... no such thing as a dumb question ....

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    There are two things you can do. No, three. No, four. No five.

1. Somehow learn to pick at that point without hitting the frets.
    2. Get the fretboard scooped or cut off
    3. Get another mandolin.
    4. Learn to love the way it sounds when you pick nearer to the bridge.
    5. Don't worry about the pick click.
    Or 6. Raise the action - like a real man!

13. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by OU1 View Post
    I have a really dumb question......someone explain "sweet spot" to me in terms of the mandolin...please.
    I assumed it meant your mandolin is hanging too low.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

oh the action is good wouldnt want to rais it that much , be hard to play

wag1943 said "Hi Ive got an Eastman 615......"

Well, it's not like you are about to mutilate a really expensive, vintage Gibson or new Gilchrist, etc. You can always replace the fingerboard on your Eastman if scalloping past the 17th fret doesn't work out for you. Or you could just get another mandolin. BTW - the 17th fret is an A note (I'm sure you know that) and could be useful in a variety of keys. Beyond the 17th fret, there ain't no money up there. I say go for it and don't look back.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

you know, I like them high frets.......a lot

I miss the fact that one of my mandos only goes to 21 (C#) instead of 22

but i gotta have low action to play up there

I suggest, respectfully that you consider your picking-that is dig downward less and across more ....

been trying to hold the pick different ,but i only use such a small bit of the pick im not getting anywhere ,guess im going to deep with the pick , fingers are hitting the strings.........

20th fret seems a little far up the neck for a sweet spot. I don't have one in front of me, but I think most mandolins scoop at around the 22nd-24th fret on the treble side. 17th would be pretty far up and perhaps a little far from the sweet spot. I'm not trying to be antagonistic but have you recorded yourself playing up that far or had others listen to you at various placements. Are you sure that is the sweet spot or just sounds good from behind the mandolin? All that said, I may hit a double stop up there on occasion but I don't think I'd feel much is missing without it. Now, past the 24th fret and even Chris thile scoops that.

the sweet spot seems to be about the 20/21st fret according to my ear from behind the mandolin .. gonna have some one play it and see what i think from that side ... 20 is the last full width fret on a 615 only 23 frets total not that that makes a difference ... well less frets to take out
    less wood to remove ..,,,, p.s. I have no problem with anything you said im looking for advice , opinions , anything to bring me to making a decision,,,,,,, ty
    Quote Originally Posted by brent1308 View Post
    20th fret seems a little far up the neck for a sweet spot. I don't have one in front of me, but I think most mandolins scoop at around the 22nd-24th fret on the treble side. 17th would be pretty far up and perhaps a little far from the sweet spot. I'm not trying to be antagonistic but have you recorded yourself playing up that far or had others listen to you at various placements. Are you sure that is the sweet spot or just sounds good from behind the mandolin? All that said, I may hit a double stop up there on occasion but I don't think I'd feel much is missing without it. Now, past the 24th fret and even Chris thile scoops that.

thanks for the opinions, advice, tips much appreated ...