Thread: Merlefest 2014 - Wilkesboro, NC - April 24-27

Default Merlefest 2014 - Wilkesboro, NC - April 24-27

I'll be attending Merlefest again, April 24-27 in Wilkesboro, NC and invite Cafe folks to stop by the campsite to hang out and pick.

Friend Phil and I will be at Sewerfest (a.k.a., "WFD Campground" or "Wilkesboro Wastewater Treatment Plant") in the "King George Field" section. Look for two white Coleman popups, facing each other and separated by two white E-Z Up canopies. Vehicles are a dark green 1997 Ford Ranger pickup and a maroon 2010 Ford F-150.

Always a campfire at night, pickin' usually lasts until 3 a.m.

Click on the picture for detailed location:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SewerfestPhoto.jpg 
Views:	985 
Size:	385.8 KB 
ID:	118108
    "Got time to breathe, got time for music" -- Briscoe Darling

Default Re: Merlefest 2014 - Wilkesboro, NC - April 24-27

Hey Jim, Does the sewerfest camping area have any rules and or restrictions that one should be aware of?

500 tent sites and 150 RV sites (30 amp, no water/sewer hookups - none left at this point). Campsites are marked by ID-stakes bearing the party's name. RV dump site to empty holding tanks (as one might expect). Water available at various locations on site. The Porta-John ratio is a little on the light side, but you can use the "real thing" at the shower/bath houses.

Most of the site is level, grassy (very green - as you might expect) and open with a few trees, but there is a wooded "hill" section if you wish more privacy. Tent campers usually grab the sites along Cub Creek first.

Fairly remote "quiet camping" area provided, if that's your taste. No curfew/noise restrictions otherwise, but the campers are generally well-behaved and considerate. No non-campers allowed in the gate at night (like most campgrounds). Haven't run across any "drum circles" in the last five years I've been going.

Indoor jamming sites available. Not as much "intense" jamming as one might find at a regular bluegrass festival, but Merlefest attracts a broader swath of the demographic than a typical bluegrass festy, as evidenced by the abundance of tents compared to campers or rvs.

Free firewood is stacked and ready at various intersections -- get it early before supplies dwindle. No fire rings on site - I advise you bring one. Free shuttle service to and from the festival, generally hourly. The campground is only a couple of miles away from the action. Two heated & air conditioned shower houses with toilets, sinks, mirrors. Plenty of hot water.

The firemen sell t-shirts, food, drinks and ice at reasonable prices. You can buy breakfast Fri-Sat-Sun mornings (ham/sausage/tenderloin biscuits).

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask.

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Gallaher for this post:

I am planning on being there for all four days. Not sure I will make the 3 am Sewerfest jam though (but you wont be missing much for my playing). I will be at the festival proudly wearing my mandocafe cap.

Tom

Don't forget that sunblock -- looks like sunny and high 70's, down to the 50's at night. Chance of a shower on Sunday, but there's always a chance of rain at Merlefest.

With the Cafe cap it's always a quandry. Do I go "daring" with the red & gold or "subdued" with the grey or tan (and their sweat stains)? "Urban Camo" with the new black? The t-shirts will go with anything, of course.

Hey Scott -- how 'bout some Cafe-themed Crocs for that early morning stumble to the Porta-Jon through the dew-covered grass?

Hey Jim- looking forward to picking with you guys again- My 6th trip to Sewerfest, two rows over from you in King George field. The campground scene there is worth the trip from NY. Had a large family group next to my site last year, from young kids to grandparents-while jamming with my banjo playing friend after 10 PM the matriarch of the group came over to ask if we could play louder. Great place. Paul Lundgren

Should be another epic Merlefest, with a great line-up and some nice weather lined up. Can't wait.

If anybody is over to the Moriavian Falls Campground look for our group of old Fogies up on then plateau by the swimming pool, complete with a portable garage as a picking parlor. Stop on by, but expect some swing mixed into the usual bluegrass repertoire.

Can't wait.

Swing! John, you're at the wrong campground! I lust after Gypsy Jazz pickers!

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

I'll be at the VFW campground a little further out.
    We few, we happy few.

I've stayed at Moravian Falls before but this year I'm at Bandit's Roost (for the 2nd time, though not consecutively). If you're in the area look for a pair of 1st Up canopies (one turned into a tent) and a white Subaru Outback with a big black rocket box on top...
    Quote Originally Posted by John Soper View Post
    If anybody is over to the Moriavian Falls Campground look for our group of old Fogies up on then plateau by the swimming pool, complete with a portable garage as a picking parlor. Stop on by, but expect some swing mixed into the usual bluegrass repertoire.

Can't wait.
    Jeff Oxley
    1994 Stiver F5 #230
    Washburn M-3SW/TS F5
    Epiphone Mandobird
    1972 Martin D-18
    Ibanez electric/acoustic
    Fender 12-string

Packing up the car for MF- I'll be on the lookout for MC caps!

I'll be there playing on Fri and Sat with Buncombe Turnpike. Come visit with us if you see us on the schedule. I'm hoping to get out and about late night in the camps to find some jams!
    My Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1F9sJ8G

Good pickin' with you, Paul. Next year!

I had a great week with Merlefest at the end. It was great to meet and pick with you Phil and John. I hope we can do it again next year, if not sooner. Let me know if either of you come by North Florida.

Tom.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Always a pleasure Tom. Looking forward to picking with you again one of these days.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”