Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Monroe style" doesnt quite tell the whole story..

Default Re: "Monroe style" doesnt quite tell the whole story..

Been a dog's age since I watched it, need to go back and pop it in the box. I do remember it had chapters like the fancy-produced ones.

Blog Entries

Nice video, I enjoy the decent sound on it very much.

Pretty happy to be seeing him play with the Nashville BG Band this summer at a free local festival.
    His solo show I saw blew my mind, he just tore it up.

Probably the best right hand in the business, he owns those downstrokes. To me he has moved past Monroe and now does his own unique and beautiful thing that I certainly enjoy the heck out of.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

3. The following members say thank you to Markus for this post:

Nice clip. He is a great player.

Mike Compton is teaching the mandolin section at the Midwest Banjo Camp the first weekend in June. It's at Olivet College, Michigan.
    I'm really looking forward to learning from him. Anyone else going?

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    Yes, it goes to show that an on-stage performer doesn't have to act like a sick monkey in order to move a tune along nicely and project a strong feeling of rhythm.
    Friendly reminder that pretty much every mandolinist has some sort of moderately awkward pattern of motion, including Compton's trademarked slow-mo squirm:

Meanwhile, Sam Bush and Mike Marshall have their asynchronous headbanging thing going for them:

And then there's Chris Thile, whose progressive vision have taken Compton's squirming style to new, unexplored territory:

The mandolin has been--and always will be--a vehicle for the subconscious comedic antics of the most professional and talented dorks on the planet. It's impossible to take this dainty instrument too seriously, and that's why it's awesome.

--Tom

7. The following members say thank you to Tom Coletti for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Coletti View Post
    Friendly reminder that pretty much every mandolinist has some sort of moderately awkward pattern of motion, including Compton's trademarked slow-mo squirm:

Meanwhile, Sam Bush and Mike Marshall have their asynchronous headbanging thing going for them:

And then there's Chris Thile, whose progressive vision have taken Compton's squirming style to new, unexplored territory:

The mandolin has been--and always will be--a vehicle for the subconscious comedic antics of the most professional and talented dorks on the planet. It's impossible to take this dainty instrument too seriously, and that's why it's awesome.

--Tom
    Great stuff, but they should all get some fashion tips from MC!

Pretty much my top four right there. What a great thread, 'cept for the bashing.
    NoNickel

Duff F5 #196/15
    Plays the "Irv Pearman" Signature Set

All misspellings intentional. Even thsi one.

Registered User Mike Steadfast-Ward's Avatar

Thanks Mandotool for the great video. I enjoyed it. Saw him play in another video where he played 'Satisfaction' well that's what I call it.

Nice to see a master at work. He played with the Mandolin almost tucked under his armpit in that one!.

Quote Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
    I don't believe that Mike has an instructional DVD available, or does he? If not, a musician of MC's talent should have a couple DVD lessons published by now.
    I've whined about this on more than one occassion. If there was one mandolin player alive today who I'd love to see make a long, in-depth DVD on both Monroe playing and his own style it would have to be Compton. Actually, now that I think about, I don't think Frank Wakefield has a DVD so that would be a really close second

Don't know if this has been posted, but it is a great one

There are two version of this song that I want to play note for note (tone for tone, articulation, etc...) before I die, I realize death will come first...
    Compton's and Jody Stecher's version from Blue Lightning
    Went to a Compton workshop years ago, great guy, magnificent musician, just not enough lifetimes to master what he has to offer. I finding that to be true of all the "Masters"! I find it hard enough to replicate what little I can do well on a regular basis, let alone master another person's style!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Orr View Post
    I've whined about this on more than one occassion. If there was one mandolin player alive today who I'd love to see make a long, in-depth DVD on both Monroe playing and his own style it would have to be Compton. Actually, now that I think about, I don't think Frank Wakefield has a DVD so that would be a really close second
    Wakefield's instructional videos are available here;
    http://www.candlewater.com/Blueberry...rankwakefield/

Sweet! I was completely unaware of those Wakefield vids. Have you seen them? My only concern is the $63 price tag for each one

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Orr View Post
    Sweet! I was completely unaware of those Wakefield vids. Have you seen them? My only concern is the $63 price tag for each one
    Yes, I bought a couple from Frank a few years ago at the Monroe mando camp and yes they are a little expensive.
    Explore that site and Frank's site, I believe there are some free lessons in there.

As to learning Mike Compton's style, it it pretty much impossible I have decided. But that should be okay. There is only one of him, just as there is only one Thile, one Bush and etc. And all of those growing out of the seeds planted by Monroe and blues men and string bands that came before. Just as all of them emulated their heros and came out with their own sound, so should we.
    NoNickel

Duff F5 #196/15

Mike has certainly developed his own style using Monroe as the springboard, throwing in a heap 'o the blues, and even a little sensitivity. The power in his right hand and economy of motion in his left are truly in a class all their own. You will also not find a nicer person or a better teacher. He's a treasure to the mandolin world.

I was listening to a song on Tom Morgan's "Bluegrass with Family and Friends" a couple of weeks ago (available on iTunes), and I was convinced that the mandolin break on "Redwing" was MC, until I saw that the recording was made in 1963. Mike is about my age and that would have made him about 9. Turns out it was (probably) Frank Wakefield, according to the album notes. It doesn't sound, to me, a bit like Wakefield.

One album that I think is under-appreciated is The Little Grascals. Listen to MC on the kick off to "Gospel Plow" or on the mando break on "I am the Man, Thomas." The whole album needs to be listened to over and over.
    NoNickel

Duff F5 #196/15

19. The following members say thank you to NoNickel for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by NoNickel View Post
    I was listening to a song on Tom Morgan's "Bluegrass with Family and Friends" a couple of weeks ago (available on iTunes), and I was convinced that the mandolin break on "Redwing" was MC, until I saw that the recording was made in 1963. Mike is about my age and that would have made him about 9. Turns out it was (probably) Frank Wakefield, according to the album notes. It doesn't sound, to me, a bit like Wakefield.

One album that I think is under-appreciated is The Little Grascals. Listen to MC on the kick off to "Gospel Plow" or on the mando break on "I am the Man, Thomas." The whole album needs to be listened to over and over.
    Love that album. A little off topic, Rob Ickes dobro solo on Lee Highway Blues is stunning.