Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: concrete mandolin

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: concrete mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    From the photos, it looks like you used fiberglass mesh or some other sort of mesh as reinforcement, yes? I was hoping to see a wire mesh, possibly even some teeny-tiny post-tension cables hanging out!
    I was hoping for some rebar! Though I expect it's light enough to not need it.

Be careful not to drop it. Concrete is much less elastic than wood and that fine-looking instrument will just shatter. Of course, you know that ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I too think this is very cool. I'm glad there are people out there who make the effort to create instruments from materials that conventional wisdoms says are unsuited to the job. If it wasn't for that kind of pioneering spirit, Peter Mix would not have made my lovely carbon fiber A4.

Registered User Steve VandeWater's Avatar

I have seen posts about the carbon fiber ones and heard some sound clips. They are incredible! Out of curiosity, how are they priced? I would love to have one
    It ain't gotta be perfect, as long as it's perfect enough!

I once attempted to make a soundless practice mandolin by filling in an old tater bug with packing popcorn and duct taping the sound hole. I was going to run earplugs from the bridge, i.e. a stethoscope. Failure: it still made a lot of sound. My brother-in-law (engineer) suggested that I make a concrete or granite mandolin if I wanted to completely remove sound because those materials would not vibrate. You have proven otherwise. I'm still looking for a completely silent practice mandolin that you could plug your earbuds into and play on an airplane, bus, work cubicle, the DMV, or where ever.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Be careful not to drop it. Concrete is much less elastic than wood and that fine-looking instrument will just shatter. Of course, you know that ...
    It's possible to make concrete that has high tensile and bending strength and high fracture resistance. Even springs have been made from concrete. I bet that concrete mandolin would survive a drop to the floor pretty well.

I am very interested in knowing the details about the concrete the OP used.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

It's not concrete, but alabaster, which is stone, so maybe it's relevant here ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin Alabaster Volterra Italy Giorgio Pecchioni.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	235.3 KB 
ID:	118953

This is in a museum in Volterra, Italy. I don't think it's playable - it has a pretty short neck and the intonation doesn't look right. More likely a sculpture than an instrument.

So you know, there is a precedent for concrete mandolins. I don't think this one is playable, though ...

Name:	huge_mandolin.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	118954
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolincelli View Post
    I once attempted to make a soundless practice mandolin by filling in an old tater bug with packing popcorn and duct taping the sound hole. I was going to run earplugs from the bridge, i.e. a stethoscope. Failure: it still made a lot of sound. My brother-in-law (engineer) suggested that I make a concrete or granite mandolin if I wanted to completely remove sound because those materials would not vibrate. You have proven otherwise. I'm still looking for a completely silent practice mandolin that you could plug your earbuds into and play on an airplane, bus, work cubicle, the DMV, or where ever.
    Plug your headphones into one of these and you're almost there; just need someone to make a mandolin sized version of it.

Pleasing sound but not a lot of sustain, but what can you expect. BTW nice playing on Take 5. I actually like the tone on the youtube video better than the other recording.

Here's the soundcloud clip embedded for convenience.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Here is a much better (sound quality) video of Josh Woods of Indianapolis playing Salt Creek on the concrete mandolin. I wish I could play like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-bBKZ_rTp4

10. The following members say thank you to Steve VandeWater for this post:

Wow, this thread is giving me all sorts of inspiration.

Anyone familiar with the Gittler guitar? It looks like this. I asked them if they're planning on doing a mandolin version. No dice, yet.

Name:	gittler2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	119454

A more advanced idea would be a holographically projected mandolin. The projector could just be something the size of an iPhone that you set on a desk and activate, and would project the shape a a given mandolin (or other instrument) into the air several feet above it, and would respond to your interaction with it. It could be silent (headphones only) or connected to an amp output. Alternately, a Google Glass app could do the same thing, though only the wearer would be able to see the instrument, which would look as if it was projected into the space in front of him. Motions of arms and fingers would be detected and turned into appropriate musical sounds.

Name:	0holotouch2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	119455

That holographic gizmo sounds pretty cool. Are you technologically gifted enough to begin developing it or just a dreamer?
    As to the Gittler guitar, is it the same thing as a Chapman Stick? I saw a guy named Bob Culbertson playing one at an arts fair last year and was really blown away. I bought one of his Celtic music CD's. He has several videos on YouTube. I cannot believe you can get all that sound by simply touching the strings (no strumming).
    EDIT: I looked at a video of the Gittler and it is cool although not the same thing as a Chapman Stick. It would make a neat mando!
    Last edited by Steve VandeWater; May-20-2014 at 11:25am.

Very imaginative. My dad had a 44 foot long ferro-cement sailboat once. It's amazing what you can do with that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by van1684 View Post
    That holographic gizmo sounds pretty cool. Are you technologically gifted enough to begin developing it or just a dreamer?
    Not even close. But I would think it would be doable. I don't think it would be as much fun as actually holding a physical instrument, though, so I'd have mixed feelings about it. I imagine one day everything will be like the holodeck on Star Trek, where you just say "computer, give me a 1915 Gibson A1" and you'd be holding it in your hands and it would play just like the real thing. But that would take a lot of the fun out of things.

EDIT: I looked at a video of the Gittler and it is cool although not the same thing as a Chapman Stick. It would make a neat mando!
    Yeah, I like the looks of the thing, but I suspect it might be difficult to play. It wouldn't be that hard to make a quasi-mando version; you'd just need eight instead of six strings (in four courses); the LSR tuning machines at the tail end would work the same; just make the overall length shorter.

I think ultimately every instrument is just a variation on the diddley bow: string nailed to a stick.
    Last edited by Petrus; May-21-2014 at 7:06am.

Concrete Mandolin: Take II
    Some of you may remember this odd project from a couple of years ago. At the time, I knew next to nothing about mandolins or how they were built, etc. Building the concrete mandolin shaped object was just something that occupied my time for awhile during a long, snowy winter. Because this thing was concrete, it was very quiet and did not resonate that well nor have much sustain.
    After the neck torked and the concrete had developed a few cracks, I decided to try to make it better. I made a new top for it, this time with the “hump” in the correct place for the bridge. I also made it thinner and braced the inside with wooden bracing like in a “real” mandolin. I made a bone nut and replaced the concrete bridge with a wooden one. The action was a lot lower now and it didn’t hurt my fingers to play it. The mando sounded a LOT better but still a bit thin and tinny, so I carved a Virzi, installed it, and attached a piezo pickup so I can plug it into an amp. The pickup is attached to the Virzi, and this gives the thing a much mellower and nicer sound.
    Finally, I sanded off the finish and restained it to look better to me. Taking the advice of another forum member, I embraced the fact that it is concrete by putting a handprint and date into the brushed gray concrete back. I think I’ve gotten it to the point where it is as good as it’s going to get.
    I’ll try to post a video later, both played acoustically and plugged in.

Name:	IMG_5078.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	435.2 KB 
ID:	149315Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5144.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	450.4 KB 
ID:	149316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5146.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	669.0 KB 
ID:	149317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5148.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	625.9 KB 
ID:	149318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5149.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	533.8 KB 
ID:	149319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5152.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	480.1 KB 
ID:	149320Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5150.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	378.0 KB 
ID:	149321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5151.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	623.9 KB 
ID:	149322
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5078.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	600.3 KB 
ID:	149313   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5144.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	633.3 KB 
ID:	149314  

16. The following members say thank you to Steve VandeWater for this post:

I love how it's an A model with open curlicues -- excellent job!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305