Thread: Celtic Suprise

Default Celtic Suprise

This may be in the wrong place (could be in Jams or Celtic) so forgive me.

Having a rather mediocre weekend, watched the kids whilst Wife and Sister-in-Law went out for the day, but had plans to go to local Pub with my brothers for a pint or two to celebrate the Eldest's successful completion of another trip around the sun.

None of us are really Pub goers, mostly just for minor celebrations and when a favored relative comes into town. The Fish and Chips I affectionately refer to as whale and taters (the portions are huge!). Normally a game or two is on the flat-screens and one night there was a one-man band doing his thing (but not to my taste). This night there was nothing when we got there, but as we finished our first pint and pub grub a guy walks in with three instrument cases.

There's not many people in the pub at this time and the place is so small that we are actually sitting on the "stage." I strike up a quick conversation with him and ask that loaded question "What's in the case?"

Mandolin...
    What Kind? He smiles and says Breedlove
    Cool, I say, I can't wait.

4 more members of the band arrive and they spend the next hour setting up. I think I recognize at least two, maybe three people and can't tell where I know them from. I'm not a musician, but I have my groupie-like tendencies. I respect anybody who has put the time in to learn to play and can get up in front of the general public to play. Even if it's not my favorite type of music. I see a sticker on a case, it's a Scottish Flag, my hopes raise up. Their Harpists actually sits down next to our table to tune and set up. I politely ooh and aah over her harp. "It's more than just pretty" she says. She's a little snotty, but I forgive since it might be more common for her to deal with barflies than someone like me.

Eventually, They get set up and start to really go. They have a few minor tech issues which they take care of on the fly, and the intimate atmosphere we are in, has us (my brothers and I) bantering with the band between songs. I actually shushed my two brothers (rather loudly) when they were talking during a duet featuring the harpist and fiddle player (a pair of lovely, talented musicians).

What a treat! The harpist played an Octave Mandolin, as well as several flutes and whistles when not on her harp. The Mandolin player also played Bass and rhythm guitar. There was a percussionist (Tambour?) and a piper. Fiddle player only played fiddle while I was there, but did so quite well.

We hung out for their first set and chatted during their break. Their Mando player invited me to their twice a month sessions. I tried to let them know I wasn't much more than a beginner, but the whole band was quite warm and welcoming. Even though I'm not very good (yet) and I am quite nervous still playing for or with others, I really want to go and at least make the connection.

Today, my brothers and I finally made time to play together. One of my brothers is really quite good (years of lessons in music theory and lots of time to practice). He got my daughter past a little block she's had with her guitar playing and gave her her first lesson, with many more to come. Then we all just jammed outside on the porch (noodling mostly) and connected.

I look forward to the sessions and hope not to embarrass myself or worse yet, make them sound bad. I don't understand the "Session" thing though there was a post here a while back. I'll bring my Mando, but I think for a while I'll just absorb.

So my Mediocre weekend actually got pretty darn good. It got warm out here quicker than any of us expected, but that's ok. Got most of my chores done so I get to noodle and practice today (hands are a bit tired right now though).

As always, I appreciate the info and advice I always get here.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Celtic Suprise

Yeee hah! Go with it.

(hands are a bit tired right now though)
    Nothing better.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Sounds like you've ran into a good bunch of people. I say go for it enjoy the music and the people, have fun with it!

I just sort of feel guilty.

The sessions are on Tuesday nights (twice a month) so the spousal unit would be left with the kids. I've asked and bless her heart she will always say yes even though it may be a wrench for her.

I'd really like to do this at least once or twice. A real working band willing to put up with me? Hey, maybe I can learn their sound equipment and play roady for them in exchange for impromptu lessons....

Ron, congrats on making that session connection! I'm sure you'll have fun, and I have just three quick words of advice:

1) Unlike many other types of "acoustic jams," it's considered normal in an Irish session to just listen. There is no harm in sitting out most, or even all the tunes at first.

2) Don't be afraid to ask what tunes they're playing, so you can take notes. If you plan on being a regular at the session, you might want to bring a recorder (asking for permission first), so you can review what they're playing and practice at home.

3) I can't recommend this little $9 book highly enough -- Barry Foy's "Field Guide to the Irish Music Session" (Amazon link). It's a short, partly tongue-in-cheek guide to session culture. Some of it may not apply to this particular session because every one is different, but there is usually a common ground covered well in this book.

Have fun!

Sounds like a great day! What was the pub?

The Blarney Stone in Fredericksburg. Restaurant up front, pub in the back. Still has it's St. Paddy's day beer decor up. Nice Irish feel to it ( though I've never been to Eire). It's comfy. We were so close to the band that when my elder brother told a joke to me the band started laughing.

BTW, my family is half Asian half Celt (Scot/Irish). My mandolins are all PacRim (Kentucky and Washburn with an Eastman on the way) oval holes.

Talk about weird coincidences or ironies. Remember the Starburst commercial? My elder brother looks just like that. Even has the Tam O'Shanty. I've got my Da's features but Asian coloring. Not that it really matters though. Love Guinness, and can polish off a pot of rice.

Just in, the wife says I should go, but watch the Guinness. They are a bit dear there.