Thread: How would one go about converting a guitar to a bouzouki/cittern

Default How would one go about converting a guitar to a bouzouki/cittern

Hello, all,
    I have a fender guitar (not sure which type, it's got a glossy finish and a long neck) but I was wondering, Could converting this to a bouzouki/cittern work? If so, how would I go about it/what strings would work? Just asking because I'm kind of curious. I've seen a few people do this and it sounds interesting.
    Thanks

Default Re: How would one go about converting a guitar to a bouzouki/citt

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlindBard View Post
    Hello, all,
    I have a fender guitar (not sure which type, it's got a glossy finish and a long neck) but I was wondering, Could converting this to a bouzouki/cittern work? If so, how would I go about it/what strings would work? Just asking because I'm kind of curious. I've seen a few people do this and it sounds interesting.
    Thanks
    Easily enough done; I did it with a 12-string acoustic a few years back (then changed it back again and bought a Williams Gazuki!!). The reason for the 12-string was that it was cheap ( charity shop sale) and to my thinking it already had paired strings plus enough tuners for the additional two strings; I just removed the bridge pins, and screwed on a bouzouki end plate. It was then simply a matter of changing the bridge and nut - blanks bought off eBay and cut to suit. If you use a 6-string you’ll have to cut it for the additional tuners. It sounded quite good until I realised that it just sounded like a 12-string with four strings missing… and as I was recording a single that needed a 12-string guitar, converted it back again.
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

It will give you the feel for a bouzouki, but as the previous poster says, you will get more of a guitar sound. It is a good entry point to give you the feel for it. I converted a 3/4 guitar to a 4 string octave mandolin to give me a sense of what it was like before I went and bought a real octave mandolin. I did that just by switching the guitar strings around.

Ok, so, it won't truly sound like a bouzouki or a cittern if I do this.
    Could I pay a place like guitar center to do something like this *for* me?
    I'm considering it, but, I don't entirely know. I like the idea of a bouzouki and I love the sound. I would like one some day.

If you have to pay someone to do the conversion for you, you might be better off buying a Hora bouzouki. They are made in Romania. Not the best quality, but might be a better alternative than spending a lot of cash to convert a guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlindBard View Post
    Ok, so, it won't truly sound like a bouzouki or a cittern if I do this.
    I'm considering it, but, I don't entirely know. I like the idea of a bouzouki and I love the sound. I would like one some day.
    The world is indeed your oyster, my friend - no reason at all why it can’t be done. Have a look at the Williams Gazuki and get an idea of it: http://gazuki.co.uk

You’ll get a lovely deep tone, but people everywhere will assume it’s just another guitar.
    I’ve been the plague of local luthiers for ages now: make me a ten string bouzouki, or an eight string guitar, or a ten string cittern that I can tune as a guitar… so there’s no reason why a good luthier won’t listen to your request and design something for you. (Incidentally that last one appears to have taken my money and done a runner…. )
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

I wouldn't pay Guitar Center to do ANYTHING like that for me.
    They can barely change strings, let alone do actual luthier work.
    I'm betting not 3 people in the entire GC network even knows what a bouzouki is.
    Take it to a reputable guitar repairman.

You might talk to the people at Vegas Guitars; they've got a cool website, anyway.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM