Thread: Fret Wear

Default Fret Wear

My frets are looking like ski slopes where the strings make contact but still no buzzing ! When do you know when you need a re-fret ?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fret Wear

I was just surprised by this myself. I was inspecting my mandolin and saw in what bad shape the first several frets were, and I was surprised by how well it plays without any issues.

I guess I am not going to do anything unless and until there is some buzzing or intonation problems. I don't see how it could hurt anything, or be any be any harder to do it more clearly needs it.

Its like removal of your wisdom teeth just in case - huh?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Funny how deeply rutted my frets can get. I don't recall ever having any buzzing, just gets to feeling like I'm using too much pressure to fret cleanly. It'll be the 4th set and, although I only need the first 5 or 7, I may just pop for the Jescar EVO stuff this time. I HATE buying fret jobs.
    Mike Snyder

My new mandolin will have EVO gold

When to get a re-fret? Good question! I'll be starting to wonder about it myself soon, as the fret wear on my mandolin is starting to concern me. What's funny is that I'm actively choosing to play on the higher frets now, just to even things out and give my lower frets some more time.

But I do wonder when is the magic moment that requires a re-fret. Buzzing would be one clue. Does the intonation change ever get bad enough on the width of a worn fret to make a difference?

If you are not noticing any ill effects, then I wouldn't worry about it. A worn fret can change the intonation enough to be audible. A lot of fret issues go unnoticed unless the action is lowered. For players that like low action, even minor fret issues can set off buzzing.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Its like removal of your wisdom teeth just in case - huh?
    More like needing glasses. You don't notice because it comes on so slowly, but then you take an eye test, get glasses and see all those things you were missing!
    You don't realize how much harder you are working to get clean notes with badly worn frets until you do something about them (mill and re-crown or re-fret). Then suddenly the instruments is so easy to play that you say "why didn't I get those frets fixed before this!".

Take it to a good luthier and have the frets looked at. A good luthier will know whether they need work or not (and of coarse there's always the chance that an unscrupulous luthier will see an opportunity to make some money and tell you they need work even if they don't, but if you go to a good luthier that shouldn't happen). A $50 (give or take) mill and re-crown doesn't cost too much, and it can make the instrument "play like butter" while doing no harm (other than the +/- $50, that is).

8. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

+1 on what John says: think of it as annual (or whatever) maintenance to keep the instrument in tip-top playing condition, it might not sound any better after the work, but it sure will feel better.