Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a 'big' mandolin

Default Re: Looking for a 'big' mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta Callahan View Post
    I have an 1923 Gibson A Jr that is really, really loud. Still, I'm going to the dark side and getting a banjo...
    Tenor banjo, I suppose? Consider a mandolin-banjo as well; there are many reasonably-priced ones around, you can transfer your mandolin skills directly, and the other people at the seisun won't hate you any more than they would anyway, when you show up with the tenor…

If you found an inexpensive mandolin-banjo, maybe you could keep the Big Muddy...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

'melody' banjos are 4 string , mandolin scale .. you can also re string a Uke Banjo with strings to get a GDAE..

Martin Baritone Uke sets with a swap of a thinner Soprano outer string for the E works ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Haha …. I'm working on developing a thicker skin for when that banjo arrives. I've made up my mind, Allen … not selling that Muddy, it's an amazing instrument … thanks. I'll look at mandolin and uke banjos. I'm a little resistant for some reason, kinda got my mind set on a tenor banjo … but maybe I'm just being silly.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Tenor banjo, I suppose? Consider a mandolin-banjo as well; there are many reasonably-priced ones around, you can transfer your mandolin skills directly, and the other people at the seisun won't hate you any more than they would anyway, when you show up with the tenor…

If you found an inexpensive mandolin-banjo, maybe you could keep the Big Muddy...
    Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    'melody' banjos are 4 string , mandolin scale .. you can also re string a Uke Banjo with strings to get a GDAE..

Martin Baritone Uke sets with a swap of a thinner Soprano outer string for the E works ..
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

4. The following members say thank you to Loretta Callahan for this post: