Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: New Dunlop Pick?

Default Re: New Dunlop Pick?

Just got 3 351 shape "gripped" 1.3mm's. I like these a lot better for mandolin than the .96's. I think I'll be able to use these for doubling on mando for an electric guitar gig. BUT... they are no better than the Ultex 1.14's, so I will not be adding any more of these to my pick collection.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Full disclosure: I've used the TAD60 for several years and love it!!

I compared the Primetone 1.5 WITH GRIP, the Primetone 1.5 without grip, and my TAD60 BC.

WITH GRIP: VERY STABLE IN FINGERS. Does not move! Sounds slightly brighter than the other two.

without grip: Sounds very simiar to the TAD60; Does not stick to the fingers quite as well, but still pretty stable.

Bottom Line: I'll still use my BC till I lose it, but if it were lost, maybe I'd go with the Primetone without grip.

YMMV. NFI.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I received my rounded "gripped" 1.3mm and am still waiting on the 1.5 Triangles. Ive never been much for rounded but I like these better than golden gates. But they are not bluechip killers. Maybe the triangle non-grips will come close as some have stated.

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    I'm curious about whether or not you get the style and thickness you ordered also. The Zzounds site, as well as many others are advertising (through Amazon) the availability of the 'non-gripped' 1.4 triangles. However, the picture shows 1.5 printed on the pick. If they don't take the time to get the picture right, I don't have much faith they'll make the effort to get the order right.
    Zzounds delivered the goods - the exact pick styles and thickness I ordered. I have been interested in trying an Ultex pick in 1.5mm thickness for some time. Very glad these arrived and anxious to try them out. I'll post again once I've given them a whirl.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	121067
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

5. The following members say thank you to lukmanohnz for this post:

I've tryed the Primetone 1.5 triangles and like them, they are similar to the BC TAD 60, a little brighter in tone. Feels stable in the hand, and for the price an inexpensive sub to the BC's.
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

7. The following members say thank you to Amandalyn for this post:

Had a chance to try out both the smooth and textured grip triangular 1.5s. The textured ones felt - to my fingers - like I was playing mandolin with a dime store poker chip. Kinda sounded like it too, but everyone's different and YMMV. Might be because I am not accustomed to picks with such a finely textured surface. The non-textured ones gave me a more refined tone, and I like the feel quite a lot. Definitely not a BC killer IMHO. They all went in my box o' pricey polygon plastic. A JazzMando V-pick remains tucked under the strings of my Capek.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Blog Entries

Snagged a pack of 12 from Italy at a good price... the smooth, brown 1.5 triangles. Look forward to trying them. I have been using Pro Plecs as my BC "backups" - but they can be a "dark".... these may just do the trick.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Blog Entries

Received the jazzmondo 3 pac sampler.

Like the feel of the V-pick a lot. The size and friction dots work. The polished bevel is smooth to play.

But.. really digging the sculpted primetone 1.3. Good bevel. Smooth and fast Closest thing I've played to BC. Nice pick!

From Mark - "But.. really digging the sculpted primetone 1.3. Good bevel.". By a country mile,the best pick i've ever used.
    Coupled with DR strings on both my mandolins = power plus !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

The Pro Plecs are definitely darker than the Dunlop Primetone 513. I was given one of those new Dunlop picks this past week. They have a right-handed bevel, which has never worked for me, so I modified the points to a standard bevel and also polished them to more of a sheen. This Ultex material seems to be more porous and is not as slick and easy to modify. The Primetone did not stick to my fingers like the Blue Chip nor roll off the strings quite as well as a Blue Chip (but after I polished the tips up a lot better they did) and the tone is a bit brighter and tighter. I love the tone, it is not strident at all. I found it to be louder than the Blue Chip and I like that! The verdict for me is that the Primetone 513 is a great sounding, much less expensive alternative to the Blue Chip TAD60. It won't make me sell my Blue Chips, but when I am concerned over losing them, such as in situations when picking over a slated porch floor, I will definitely use the Primetone 513. I think that it will make a very good jam pick with just a touch of rosin on my fingers.

I have not tried the Primetone 512.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    Snagged a pack of 12 from Italy at a good price... the smooth, brown 1.5 triangles. Look forward to trying them. I have been using Pro Plecs as my BC "backups" - but they can be a "dark".... these may just do the trick.

13. The following members say thank you to Cheryl Watson for this post:

After a few days' intensive use on both my F5 acoustic and my mandocaster, I'm delighted with the 346-shaped, embossed 1.4mm Prime Tones. I like everything about them: the grip that doesn't slip, the sharpness of the bevel compared to my previous favourite Pro Plecs - and the price. I wouldn't have expected the same pick to do a great job on two such different instruments, but it does.

One happy customer and Prime Tone convert, here.

Do they make them with a round bevel?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Do they make them with a round bevel?
    They have what they call 'semi round', though that may be more about the rounded shape than a different bevel.

The one I am so pleased with is this one.

I think that this one is the one that Ron's referring to.More of a rounded profile than a rounded 'bevel' as such,
    Ivan

Name:	Primetone 'flat'.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	121232
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I'm asking about the bevel.

Last edited by Ted Eschliman; Jul-05-2014 at 6:01am. Reason: Posting Guidelines

Last edited by Ted Eschliman; Jul-05-2014 at 6:01am. Reason: Posting Guidelines

21. The following members say thank you to Mike Bunting for this post:

AlanN 

Okay, I'm officially in love with the Dunlop Primetones. I got this one:

Name:	Dunlop Primetone Pick.JPG 
Views:	211 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	121280
    Jim Dunlop 512P14 Primetone 1.4mm Triangle Sculpted Plectra Guitar Picks

With shipping and a 2 month wait from Amazon, 3 picks came to $14 … as opposed to what I'd pay for 3 BC's: $105 + shipping. I now feel comfortable using this pick at a session and am not so paranoid about dropping it.

The size is comparable to my Blue Chips TAD40 and CT55. I love the thickness and the roughness of the logo~it keeps the pick from moving around. The deal maker for me is size, tone, lack of slipperiness and how it performs for tremolo and triplets. So far, this pick fills the bill.

Will it hold up? I'll report back on that.
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

ok. Finally received the 1.5 triangles. Pretty impressed with this pick given that it's 1/15 the price of my tad 50 and ct 55. I might even go so far as to say it is the best pick I've tried other than those two (including red bear and wegen) and the differences are minimal, at least out of the box (or tiny ziplock as the case may be).

At the Jenny Brook bluegrass festival, Adam Steffey talked about these picks in his mandolin workshop. He really likes 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta Callahan View Post
    Okay, I'm officially in love with the Dunlop Primetones. I got this one:

Name:	Dunlop Primetone Pick.JPG 
Views:	211 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	121280
    Jim Dunlop 512P14 Primetone 1.4mm Triangle Sculpted Plectra Guitar Picks

With shipping and a 2 month wait from Amazon, 3 picks came to $14 … as opposed to what I'd pay for 3 BC's: $105 + shipping. I now feel comfortable using this pick at a session and am not so paranoid about dropping it.

The size is comparable to my Blue Chips TAD40 and CT55. I love the thickness and the roughness of the logo~it keeps the pick from moving around. The deal maker for me is size, tone, lack of slipperiness and how it performs for tremolo and triplets. So far, this pick fills the bill.

Will it hold up? I'll report back on that.

I have no experience of the premium brands, but this is the same pick that I have now, and I'm a convert.

I finally managed to get some of the 1.4mm triangular picks with textured gripping surface to play with. I must say, I really like the material. I took some sandpaper and Dremel buffing wheel to one corner and rounded it off some. I was able to match the bevels pretty well. The material works easily enough, although if you get carried away with the buffing wheel, they will melt and gall.

Richard - Those 'moulded' picks are the same material as the 'smooth' ones ,but of a specification that makes it suitable for 'moulding', hence that fact that if it does get too hot (through buffing),it will soften.The smooth ones i'm pretty sure are CNC routed from stock sheet material & most likely will withstand the heat better - however, i'm not about to try it out on my Primetones, which, incidentally,are the only pick on which i haven't had to re-bevel. IMHO,this is ''possibly'' the best pick for mandolins & acoustic guitars that Dunlop have produced to date, & they give the BC picks a run for their (much more) money,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

If anyone wants to trade one of their's (pictured in post 143) for 1 of mine (in #139), give me a shout.

I most often play with a BC TAD 60 1R, and Proplec 346 in 1.5, and a Pick Boy 351 PEI 'reefer grip' out of Ultem

I received my new 346 shape 1.5 mm Dunlops, with grips (non grip still not here). If I guessed id say this material is identical to Ultem.

I have been a/b ing for about two hours now.

BC is lovely, not as bright.
    Dunlop is lovelier...for me...heres why:

Slightly brighter, which I like most of the time for cut

Slightly more feel of accuracy-identical to the 'sharp shooting' feel I get with my PickBoy 351 1.mm PEIs-one I use for increased attack and sharp slick point.

The bevel on these is nice; slick and angled like the BC.

As much power transfer as my BC.

Feels great in hand.

These are great picks and likely my new standard,
    probably over the BC too!

Don't know how long they will last, but at this price, its easy to have new one often.
    If both picks were the SAME PRICE WITH SAME LONGEVITY, my preference would be the Dunlop, even without a rounded point. Trem is easy.

Now ....if they would make them in a bright color or two, for ease of tracking when dropped, they would be perfect imho.