Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: USB interface recommendations

Blog Entries

Default USB interface recommendations

A couple of audio engineer types have strongly advised against a USB mic and instead get an interface/preamp and a Sure KM-57 or 58. I would like to entertain recommendations for which interface you all recommend. Looking for a sweet spot in terms of cost and quality, as I will not be recording masters or anything, but I would like better sound quality than the built in mic on my laptop
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Default Re: USB interface recommendations

Shure makes one, as I said, (in Perry's thread), you can get them in a package
    with the popular SM57 & 58 dynamic mic.

http://www.shure.com/americas/produc...digital-bundle

the adapter http://www.shure.com/americas/produc...signal-adapter

Though there are, also some mixers that include a USB output in them too..

[no KM, there are KSM mics, a different line]
    Last edited by mandroid; Jan-09-2014 at 10:44pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Proud Mandolin Owner BeginnerMandolinistTyler's Avatar

I have the Focusrite Scarlett Studio bundle which includes the Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, condenser mic, cable, and headphones. The only extra thing you need is a mic stand. I got it for Christmas and I love it so far. I use it to record guitar and mandolin. It's $212"ish" not including the stand. It's produces a really decent sound for a relatively cheap( in price, not quality) product. I unfortunately don't have a sample recording on my laptop(I'm away at college) but I'm a huge stickler for audio quality so if I'm happy with it I'm sure you would be as well. It was actually recommended to me by some members on the forums. I asked a similar question before Christmas. The set up is relatively easy. Just activate it online and install a driver. The recording software it comes with is a lite version of cubase 6/7. I happened to have another program (fl studios, $200) which I prefer more. So yeah, I would recommend this if you want simple. Hope this helps and sorry if I made a type, I'm typing this from phone!

Blog Entries

A detailed breakdown of the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...recommendation

I have subsequently used the 18i18 and 18i20 versions, and they are also really very good indeed. I'm fairly familiar with some quite "high end" interfaces (Apogee, Metric Halo, Lynx Aurora and RME) and have to say that subjectively, these new Scarlett interfaces sound so good that any differences are in hair-splitting territory. The mic preamps in particular are first class. The more I've played with them, the more impressed I've become.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Blog Entries

Yeah meant SM57. Surely I'd be better off with a full input deck than that little thing in the bundle?

Thanks almeria. I read a few of your previous posts on the Focusrite Scarlett. Do you have any experience with the ART Tube MP?
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Blog Entries

How many inputs you require will entirely depend on what you aim to record, and how... for many 'home studio' setups a 2-input interface could be all you ever need. You can track instruments in stereo (provided you have a suitable pair of matched mics, of course), and you can build up songs by multi-tracking. You only really need more inputs if you are tracking multiple performers and whole bands, then, certainly, anything from 8 simultaneous inputs up to 32 may be required. Drum kits eat up tracks as you may be using a separate mic for each drum and cymbal, plus a stereo overhead for ambiance. Generally, though, for home studios you do not need a vast array of simultaneous inputs. I hardly ever use more than 4 inputs simultaneously when tracking at home, most often, just a stereo pair or single vocal mic. If doing live multi-track recordings of performances, then, yes - you will need quite a bit of capacity, normally a minimum of 16 simultaneous tracks. I use either an Allen & Heath Zed R16 or an 8 input interface + 8 channel ADAT expander for that kind of thing (the Focusrite Octopre, RME Octamic and Presonus Digimax are good examples).

The ART Tube MP.... I don't use one myself, but have encountered them. They are quite noisy and frankly, not much to write home about. Some people seem to like them. Some of the ART stuff is very good value for money. I still have a first generation ART PRO VLA (compressor) that is surprisingly decent, and it has stayed in the rack long after a lot of other things have left... even living alongside some things at many, many times the price. The PRO MPA dual channel preamp is also very good value. I don't much like starved plate (low voltage), wall-wart driven stuff, to be honest.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Another vote for the Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4. I got a 2i4 for Christmas and I've been using it with a Shure SM81 and a RØDE NT1-A and been very happy.

dave

whats the cost on those ? ( i see $2K, stuff, used, so, discounted on other stuff, in their site.)
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have a Scarlett 2i2 that I got used for $50. The setup was a bit cludgy but is very easy to use after that. The sound quality is good.

Blog Entries

New they appear to list in Canada for around $150. On eBay it is also about this price, but then add in an extra $30 for shipping.

Man, the days of good deals on eBay are long gone
    Last edited by jasona; Jan-10-2014 at 1:57pm.
    Jason Anderson

Blog Entries

I assume a Shure sm57 is a decent starter mic?
    Jason Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by jasona View Post
    I assume a Shure sm57 is a decent starter mic?
    If you already own a 57, then it's not a bad mic to start with, but if you're buying your first recording mic, then I'd recommend a small diaphragm condenser like the Audio Technica Pro 37.

That's only $30 more than a typical price for a SM57 (a real one, not one of the many fakes on Ebay), and it will do a better job of capturing the upper "air" frequencies of acoustic instruments, compared to a dynamic mic like the SM57. If you have a larger budget, the sky's the limit.

Whatever the budget, I think learning how to use a small diaphragm condenser (ideally a pair, for stereo) is a good step in learning how to record acoustic instruments. From there, you can branch out to other types of mics like ribbon mics, large diaphragm tube mics, or whatever. I've self-recorded and recorded other musicians for many years now, and I keep coming back to small diaphragm condenser mics as the mainstay for acoustic instruments.

---

Regarding the OP question on USB interfaces... my favorite brand for non-ridiculously-high-end interfaces is RME, both for converter/preamp quality and the quality of their drivers and accessory software ("TotalMix" is very cool for signal routing). But they don't have anything in the inexpensive range, unfortunately. I think their cheapest interface is the BabyFace at around $750 USD. Ouch! The German build and Euro/Dollar conversion keeps them out of the lower price range, I guess.

If you have the money and need a multi-input interface, the RME Fireface UFX is terrific. That's what I'm currently using, with outboard mic preamps (and the four built-in preamps if I need extras). Aside from being a generally great interface, it has the killer feature of being able to act as a standalone recorder, direct to a USB thumbdrive (or USB hard drive) without even being hooked up to a computer. That makes it amazingly versatile compared to most other interfaces. I use it in my home studio as a silent way to record groups of musicians in a good acoustic space, then I just transfer the USB stick to my main editing computer for editing. If I need to multitrack something, I just hook it up to a laptop to manage the overdubs while recording. Best of both worlds.

The UFX is expensive and probably overkill for what many folks are doing here, but I'm mentioning it because the OP didn't specify a price range for USB interfaces. Someone might pull up this thread later on, looking for a more high-end solution.

At the budget entry-level, something like the Focusrite series is getting good reviews. I used to recommend M-Audio gear in this range, but I'm not sure they've been keeping up lately.

Blog Entries

Would not be my first choice for recording in that price range. Quite low output, for one thing. I would look instead at a condenser microphone. Many choices... a basic small diaphragm matched pair is a good place to start. Well suited to stringed instruments. Will allow for experimentation with various mic setups and recording in stereo. For example:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tereo_Set.html

We were posting at the same time there...

I would say this regarding the RME's. Yes, they are good with very solid drivers. However.. I have run a Babyface side by side with a Focusrite 18i18 and in terms of sound, could not tell one from the other, even when trying hard to. This technology is moving fast, and the quality is going up, and the price down. Even running an 18i18 next to an Apogee ($2K) any audible differences are really hard to pin down. Certainly not obvious, to me, at least. You're down to trying to hear small differences in spatial imaging, etc. Nothing really jumps right out at you, and in a mix....
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Blog Entries

was wondering about the M-Audio box. It seems a good price
    Jason Anderson

by far the best bang for the buck are the Scarlett series, like ameriastrings, i have ab the better interfaces and find them very close, I own a babyface and a firface ucx. The RMe does have the advantage of new class compliant modes and their drivers are second to none, but we are looking at a lot more money.
    John

2012 Collins MT-2 Birds Eye Maple
    1924 Gibson F-4
    2010 Custom National Resonator (one of a kind)
    1930 National Resonator with new custom neck and "Doug Unger" inlay and back painted by Howard "Louie Bluie" Armstrong
    2005 Godin A-8
    2013 Kentucky KM-1050 "stage and club mandolin"

Searching for the Sound

I'm a novice, and picked up a ART TubeMP for $40 used, and I got a new SM57. For someone of my skill level (or lack-thereof) and with GarageBand, it's plenty. The SM57 was a compromise since it serves double duty mic'ing my nephew's amp.

So, the ART might not be great, but until my skills warrant something of higher quality, not knowing any better doesn't seem to be hurting me. I also got the nephew a small mixer (Behringer XENYX x1202) to begin educating him about recording, and because it only has 4 XLR inputs, the ART serves as a mic preamp that goes 'line in' to a mixer TRS slot ... I guess any interface would do that, though....
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

Blog Entries

The older models are USB 1.1 only.

The new 'Fast Track' versions are USB 2.0.

M-Audio have a bit of history with some flaky drivers in the past. I have no personal experience of the more recent models.

It is worth noting (for Mac users) that there are a number of issues with recent Macs that can impact on all USB (and some Firewire and Thunderbolt) interfaces to do with recent chipset changes. As always, for audio work, once you get a nice stable system, best not to 'upgrade' or mess with it too much.....
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Alesis i03 - 4 channels in and USB out
    Johneeaaddgg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtm View Post
    I'm a novice, and picked up a ART TubeMP for $40 used, and I got a new SM57. For someone of my skill level (or lack-thereof) and with GarageBand, it's plenty. The SM57 was a compromise since it serves double duty mic'ing my nephew's amp.

So, the ART might not be great, but until my skills warrant something of higher quality, not knowing any better doesn't seem to be hurting me. I also got the nephew a small mixer (Behringer XENYX x1202) to begin educating him about recording, and because it only has 4 XLR inputs, the ART serves as a mic preamp that goes 'line in' to a mixer TRS slot ... I guess any interface would do that, though....
    OK that is good to know. My only hesitation with just going with the good bargain is my ear. I can hear a lot of tonal differences of top woods (for example) and if I didn't spend that extra $30 or whatever and got a less sensitive system...ok it really sounds #firstworldproblems but I'm trying to decide where my personal sweet spot is going to be cash vs. sound quality. Really appreciate your input however (pun not intended) because that is an excellent price point.
    Jason Anderson

Blog Entries

How is the AKG 170 for a budget small diaphragm condenser mic?
    Jason Anderson

How is the AKG 170 for a budget small diaphragm condenser mic?
    I haven't heard this mic, but AKG is one of the older and respected companies in audio, so I imagine that while the build quality won't be Neumann level, the capsule design and electronics are the best they can pull off at the price point and with overseas manufacture. In other words... probably a decent starter mic. FWIW, the user reviews on the Sweetwater site are good, but I don't know how much they edit for positive vs. negative reviews.

One nice thing about that low price, is it would make a pair more affordable for stereo recording.

You're not going to get "matched" capsules at that price, or for most mics in the sub-$500 category, but they're probably close enough for the way most people mic instruments in stereo (i.e. often in spaced pair, and not needing critical stereo imaging).

Blog Entries

Yeah the reviews are really encouraging, and at that price I think I will go for it and try it out. If I like, I'll get another down the road for stereo recording as you suggest.

Anything I should be aware of WRT mic cables?
    Jason Anderson

Blog Entries

I found this side by side comparison pretty interesting. AKG P170 vs. Shure SM57
    Jason Anderson

Blog Entries

Then there is the stupidly inexpensive audio-technica at2021, although I haven't heard a clip on YouTube that has the clarity of the AKG P170
    Last edited by jasona; Jan-14-2014 at 10:51am.
    Jason Anderson

Blog Entries

Anything I should be aware of WRT mic cables?
    Avoid really cheap ones. Tend to have bad 'copy cat' connectors, sometimes incorrect wiring, poor joints and capacitance issues.

You do not need 'Monster' cables or anything like that (hyped consumer grade stuff) - just good, professional, workhorse cables with genuine Neutrik or Rean (part of Neutrik) connectors. If you want something really good, even better than standard pro grade, then the Mogami Neglex Quad is superb.

There is all sorts of hype regarding cables... you can pay $200 a yard if you feel like it... Sommer Epilogue and Vovox.

Some say they can hear differences.... some can't. You pays your money and you makes your choice, as they say.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288