Thread: Jigs on a Forster bouzouki

Default Jigs on a Forster bouzouki

Ian Stephenson and Andy May, playing round Andy's house a week ago....enjoy!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=c...&v=YMHItpBGnVU

Nigel

2. The following members say thank you to nkforster for this post:

Default Re: Jigs on a Forster bouzouki

That is a gorgeous-looking (and sounding) bouzouki.

Paul

Nigel, that zook sounds great.

Though I have to confess to being a bit disappointed that this thread wasn't about jigs used in construction. :-)

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

Nigel thanks for sharing. That is one gorgeous looking and sounding bouzouki! The playing was great as well. As a mostly bluegrass mandolin player who has been really getting into the sound of the bouzouki lately I've been scouring the internet for good videos to watch. Now that I've found your channel your videos are some of my favorite by far! Lovely instruments, I can't wait to hear more. Cheers!
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

Very nice, Nigel and that redwood top is quite nice looking. How does redwood differ as a tone wood vs. other woods you have used?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Very nice, Nigel and that redwood top is quite nice looking. How does redwood differ as a tone wood vs. other woods you have used?
    I love the stuff, its my favourite timber for the bouzouki. It has the open openness of cedar, and a coarseness all of its own. Nice to work with too.

nigel
    http://www.nkforsterguitars.com/inst...rish-bouzouki/

I have revived this thread after having hearing and seeing your redwood topped bouzouki in action.

You really nailed it with this one. Well done! It is one of the best sounding bouzoukis I have heard for a while.
    Nic Gellie

Nigel

I am going to embed this video properly as it is a really great video really tastefully done by both musicians. I just came back to it after two years.

Nic Gellie

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick Gellie For This Useful Post:

Fair play Nic. You're right, the bouzouki and the playing by both are fantastic. There's a bouzouki exactly the same as this for sale at the moment in Carters Vintage Guitars Nashville. I'm not sure if it's new or not. going for $6,500, well worth it in my opinion. A pal of mine Gerry was in Carters only a few weeks ago and bought me 2 Paige Banjo Capos ( wide) which are fantastic, really small but very very good. Use them on bouzouki occasionally but mainly tenor guitar. Not suitable for sliding up and down the fretboard though. Dont want to make you jealous Nic but Gerry bought an absolute gem of a mandolin there. A 1982 Gilchrist F5. Best mando I have ever heard or played by a long shot. verrrrrrrrrrrrrry expensive...

Gerry is one of my oldest pals and has a passion for the mandolin and bluegrass music. He has a fantastic collection of mandos. He gave me a loan of a brilliant Givens F5 earlier this year. To be hones, I couldnt do it justice. I have a bit of a muscular problem in my right hand so playing tunes can sometimes be a bit of a problem, hand just seizes up.

Thanks again for the Video Nic

John