Thread: Rhapsody mandolin

Default Rhapsody mandolin

Hi
    I got an rhapsody mandolin at a fleemarket for 30,- €... I would be glad to get ANY Information on that instrument...

Thanks a Lot Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	109154

Default Re: Rhapsody mandolin

Sure. It's one of these, a mandolin made in Asia that was imported into the US and I'm assuming other parts of the world under dozens of brand names. Maybe hundreds of brand names.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thank you so much! It really helped me a lot. I am a guitar player and i love to expand to instruments for using in my band "des.orient express" for improvisational music. I restored the weathered Instrument, its quite ok for my purposes, I guess.
    Nevertheless: I have never seen a Zero-fret before. Are the strngs supposed to rest on that Zero fret??
    In my case they do not. So i should lower the sattle (?), that they do, right? The octave at 12 th fret are perfect now, but First to sixth fret are almost a semitone to high...
    Can i just go ahead and lower the sattle, or do i have to keep something in mind, before just doing it?
    Is there a threat on Zero frets too?

Its Good to know, not to be alone )

All the best

Ralf

The strings should rest on the zero fret. From what you describe the the slots in the nut may not be cut deep enough or else someone strung the strings high on the tuner posts so they are higher than the nut slots. The saddle shouldn't affect this unless the neck has some serious issues.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

5. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Ralf 

Go to frets.com for great information on mandolin set up... Very important with any mandolin but more so with an old one like yours which someone obviously messed with.... before your purchase. If you are handy you can do settup yourself. Or it will at least tell you what is involved in mandolin set up. Zero frets are uncommon but they are probably a great idea saving you money in the long run.

frets.com is a wonderful source of information on stringed instruments. You will find answers to all your technical questions.
    Bart McNeil

7. The following members say thank you to bmac for this post:

Ralf 

Thank you again, so i will try to fix that...

By the way: Jack White: i love really cheap instruments: you have to really work on it, its working against resistance and a specific personality of the instrument... Its live.
    In: it might get loud

Yes i will work on it, so it will become my instrument... A wounded overrseen veteran ... Great Site you mentioned. Vielen Dank!!

Zero frets are quite common in other parts of the world. We just don't see them show up on production instruments in the US.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber