Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Are they really worth it?

Whatever gets the tone you want is worth the money. The pick is your direct link to the tone you produce. Its priceless. I would not give up my Blue Chip for anything and Ive tried so many. But I...
  2. Re: Hands on shopping in Northern Michigan?

Make the trip to Elderly in Lansing. Not Northern Michigan but well worth the drive. They have most major brands in several models and also always have a large variety of vintage/used mandolins.
  3. Re: 3 Favorite Mandolin CDs (not by Bill, David, Ricky, Sam & Chr

Yank Rachell - Blues Mandolin man
    Mr Natural - Julin
    Shel - Shel (Eva Holbrook is an amazing mandolin player)
    Mandolin Orange - Quiet Little Room
    The Jazz Mandolin Project
    Mandolin Blues -...
  4. Re: I made the first step to Electronic. Now what?

Thanks everyone. I am in communications with Steve Ryder to get a new set of pick ups.

This is my first Electric instrument and wow its sooooo different. I thought generating good tone would be...
  5. Re: What song, Album, Musician changed your perspective on music?

Wow.....I checked out the links. Great! I am going add them into my listening mix for a bit.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning the fretboard

Oh man such a great way to explain it. I am finding a lot of things in moveable scale patterns that sound great but I have zero clue what to call them. So right on, that naming what you are doing...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning the fretboard

I have a classical violin back ground where buying into fixed positions is part of the curiculum. My mandolin teacher has taught me the moveable scale patterns and it opened up the entire mandolin...
  8. Re: Hio often do you freestyle on your Mandolin?

Ivan, Yeah man its the exportation that is so fascinating. Its like your picking around in a dark mine shaft and all of a sudden something comes together and its like a gold vein sparking in the...
  9. Re: Hio often do you freestyle on your Mandolin?

T.D, I can think of a lost worse things to be said of music then " an insane wirling dervish " thats a great compliment to recive on a Saturday night solo session.
  10. Re: Hio often do you freestyle on your Mandolin?

Yeah man!! I am so happy that my post fired up your improv-freestyle-on-the-doo-wop vibes Sevelos!! Have a great session today!
  11. Hio often do you freestyle on your Mandolin?

The more I play the mandolin the more I love it. I think its the most fascinating instrument ever created. It can do so much.

The further I get into my studies the whole instrument starts to make...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: A - the troublesome string (rant)

Oh man, this is a real thing? I thought I was just crazy. My A course is always in and out of tune and for some reason its so noticbale even if a tony bit out. Like and degree micro cosmos tiny...
  13. Re: Metronone-How often do you use yours and how do you use it?

Mark, That is similar to 2 and 4 I believe maybe just a different feel?

Jeremy, 40 is rough but amazing on how you can vary the space in between at that speed. Makes me feel like a Time Lord.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: One mando kind of picker...

I am a one mandolin guy. I got a 1924 Gibson LL Era A model that I absolutely love. I think if I ever decide to try something new I would probably go up to the A to Z model.....But I just love the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Tab vs ear

Do them all. That way you constantly have a check and balance between what you are seeing and what the notations are. I am new to playing by ear and I would say that learning to play by ear is one of...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: First Chords

To get started on chord structure. These simple chords are the beginner chords that most people start with.

C: 0 2 3 0
    G: 0 0 2 3
    D: 2 0 0 2
  17. Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Lets keep this train moving. There is always going to be someone that interrupts the flow of a good thing (for good reasons or not, who is to say, the current care taker of the picks might be having...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Staff notation woes

And being new here its such a turn off to see poster argue and debate non sense on these posts. Its a debate about this then that, then a debate about what someone is asking then a debate about how...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Staff notation woes

I think a fair question for Mobi is:

How long have you been practicing reading staff notation?

Sight reading/reading from staff is a skill that needs to be worked on and honed over time. The...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: More Practicing

Are you asking:

1. Is 5 hours of lessons a week to much? I would say no, not if your working towards a performance degree.
    or
    2. Is 5 hours of practice a week to much? I would say no, not...
  21. Name the top three things that have made you a better Mandolinist

Hi,
    What would you consider the top three things that have made you better mandolin player ?

Then next what are the top three things that have made you a better musician?

Everybody learns...
  22. Re: Washburn Re-issue Vintage Parlor Guitars?

I'm not sure, I do not register marketing in really any form. I just have liked every 125th anniversary that I have played. It could have no name and be painted neon yellow and I would still love it.
  23. Re: Washburn Re-issue Vintage Parlor Guitars?

Hi, Yes! Best advice is from someone who owns one....or in my case 2!

I absolutely love them and they are NOT cheap guitars. I own two:

1. The Rosewood version. Super pretty good tone for a...
  24. Re: Your Experiences with Online Learning!

Hi,

I have experience with both online and in person. They are both great and anyone who wants to progress musically is really cheating themselves by not engaging with a great teacher.

When I...