Search:

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

Reischman's Loar & Compton's Gilchrist F5 stick out in my mind as the best 2 mandolins I've played. My Heiden A5 is the best mandolin I've owned.
  2. Re: What kind of mandolin is Johnny Winter playing in this photo?

“Johnny’s guitar set up was pretty standard, although he did start tuning down a full step while I was still working with him,” Jon Paris pointed out. “Around that time, he started playing Lazer...
  3. Re: What kind of mandolin is Johnny Winter playing in this photo?

“I met Johnny in the summer of ’78 at a club called Pop’s in New York’s East Village,” Paris recollected. “We were both there to catch Louisiana Red [AKA Iverson Minter – the Alabama-born...
  4. Re: What kind of mandolin is Johnny Winter playing in this photo?

Johnny Winter would have turned 80 today. My friend John Kruth, writer and player of mandolin (and a zillion other instruments, but it's one of his main ones), posted this excellent (if a wee bit...
  5. Replies
    Views

Mighty Poplar

There have been a couple recent Nickel Creek, Punch Bros threads recently. Just got an email announcing an album of a new bluegrass group, Mighty Poplar, with a couple of the Brothers, sans Thile....
  6. Re: Chris Thile Camp thread...

Combining this post into the end of the other thread shortly. This discussion ran its course and turned into a mud slinging affair filled with politics and grandiose claims of all types. Fair warning...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet Another CF Mandolin?

Thank you all for all your input, and opinions, we’ll make this thing a little beauty, you guys will love!

In response to all your comments:
    -I wasn’t planing on making fingerboard extensions, so...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet Another CF Mandolin?

Already exists.
  9. Replies
    Views

Update on CITES

At a two-week meeting in Panama earlier this month, a group of nations hammered out an agreement on traveling with instruments that contain banned substances.

Basically, if you are crossing...
  10. Re: I can’t remember if learning guitar was this hard

I've been playing mandolin over 15 years now, and at some point I realized I'll never be very good at it. And really, that's ok with me. I'm happy to just be able to play a few tunes and have fun. ...
  11. Are you ready for a new Carbon/Kevlar Sorensen mandolin?

Last night, after about a year of research, then half a year of making more than 25 iterations, I was finally able to kick back and do some picking on the first new ...

Sorensen Carbon/Kevlar...
  12. Thread: Ginny Hollon

by amowry
    Replies
    Views

Ginny Hollon

I was deeply saddened to hear that Ginny Hollon passed away yesterday. As many of you know, she was the publisher of Mandolin Magazine, and she was active in the music community here in Oregon. She...
  13. Re: Who Has a Northfield F5-S with Airloom case?

Dave
    That’s a great mandolin. There’s nothing wrong with it or the case. It’s sounds amazing like all of the Northfield instruments. They represent a fantastic value in the mandolin world. To...
  14. Re: What's the best way to dust my fretboard?

I knew that if I scrolled down far enough I'd find someone else who'd already suggested this. I've been 'dusting' with a designated shaving brush after every session before applying Fast Fret for lo,...
  15. Replies
    Views

Punch Brothers & Watchhouse

If this has already been posted then I’m sorry. If not, then I am not sorry.
    This is mando goodness...

https://youtu.be/OC2Cr1d6Y60
  16. Replies
    Views

RIP Jim Seals

Sad news. Jim Seals has passed at the age of 79 or 80 (some confusion about his birth year). I enjoyed their music, though I can't say I was a big fan. It wasn't until just a few years ago that I...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Total Newbee looking for info

Thanks Mike. Yeah I pretty much decided on getting the Eastman.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Total Newbee looking for info

Thanks so much Allen. She's already on the mend. It has run through our family but thankfully, I haven't gotten it yet. I have multiple risk factors as well.

Looks like I am going to go with an...
  19. Replies
    Views

Essential David Grisman

Here's a piece I did for the San Francisco Classic Voice for our "Essentials" series of great recordings. It was nearly impossible to choose just a dozen Dawg selections, but it was fun to try. What...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone-Gard and Big Muddy Jumbo Mandolins

I've never considered or seen a tone guard on a flat top Mandolin. Interesting. Do you have a Jumbo Big Muddy? What are you hoping to accomplish with a tone guard that it isn't doing?

Are you...
  21. Replies
    Views

David Surette's health

David has been battling with cancer for quite a few years and decided to go public with it in a recent note to his mailing list. I was unaware of any of this and so asked for his and Susie's...
  22. Stephen Perry updates, shop running again, located N. Va.

Greetings mando peoples. Things have settled down sufficiently that I'm starting to touch mandolins again. I'm just outside of Old Town Alexandria, VA. After fits and starts, my shop is fully up...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: My MAS is cured.

I am like MandoMan. I have had some incredible mandolins. But, life happens, and after 30 surgeries I found my doctors wanted to get paid more than I wanted to have a mandolin. Ok, that’s not...
  24. Re: Advice on buying a new mandolin? Been playing for 15+yrs

Nothin' worse 'n' a warped Johnson...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Goodbye Sugar Hello Fiber

Not a totally original marketing strategy, but... interesting...
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4