Search:

Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Big ol' baby looking for reassurance

You probably ducked a bit of a lemon on that new one.
    Someone has stuck a banjo bridge on it and the scratch plate is collapsed onto the top.
    Not hard to sort, but might have more issues than...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Has anyone played in Ireland Jam Sessions?

From that list I'd probably only bother with;

Donnybrook fair
    Banish misfortune
    Fig for a kiss
    Foxhunter's
    Going to the well for water
    Ballydesmond polka
    Toss the feathers
    King of the...
  3. Mandolinist wins Celtic Connections 2024 Young musician prize

Calum McIlroy, the winner of BBC Radio Scotland Young Traditional Musician 2024, performs G Iomain na Gamhna for crowds in Glasgow’s

https://youtu.be/JFTqiVEjK-Q?feature=shared

JFTqiVEjK-Q
  4. Replies
    Views

Four Of A Kind - Reel & Jig

A friend put me on to this lovely bit of playing featuring bouzouki, harmonica & drum.
    kZn1IkE_61I

https://www.tijnberends.com/
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintange Mandolins in Ireland

As another Irish export my impression is that until the 1990's we were all kind of cobbling along as best we could & acquiring decent instruments normally involved travelling abroad with some very...
  6. Re: Amplifiers/pdeals for playing in an electric band

I've been playing about with Amplitube fed from the Ibanez ElRey through an iRig HD X, for home stuff experimenting with sounds, to see what I might translate onto the pedal board.
    I've been using...
  7. Re: strings for a mandocello - conversion of 1919 Gibson L4 to K4

I really like using the Dogal calace half-round mandoloncello strings.
    I'm currently using the RW93 set, but will be trying the HR138 set next month (got to plan well ahead with these ones)...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: What kind of hat do I need?

I think it's more than just the hat, you've got to cultivate the overall look;

210642 210643 210644
  9. Re: British guy here – how should I spend $10,000?

One thing that hasn't popped up here, but which has in several other threads, is the impact of import duties & other constraints on your budget.
    As a rough guide your $10k budget will be nearer...
  10. Re: British guy here – how should I spend $10,000?

I got Phil Davidson to make me my dream mandolin. We used some very innovative techniques to get where we wanted.
    I reckon he's at the peak of his craftsmanship now & often sources his woods from...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: The Kensington Etudes - Chris Acquavells

Should be some more once I get a gap in the schedule.
  12. Replies
    Views

The Kensington Etudes - Chris Acquavells

As many already know Chris Acquavella (via Trekel) published a suite of 30 etudes dedicated to his students. He also released his CD of 10 of them "Recording Of The Dawn" (Bandcamp & all the usual...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo...Which player...

I always use Alison Stephens as a reference.
    Her broad strokes have an effortlessness that belie the subtle complexity of what she achieves.
    This really comes to the fore when she plays duo-style...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave mandolin and mandocello

Just for some added context here are some early 1900s examples with their stats, from the "Bowlbacks of note" thread (running at 7388 posts so it would be cruel & useless just referring people there)...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Recuerdos de la Alhambra - Tárrega

Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowl back construction

Have a watch of this video and it'll give you a real insight into how bowl-backed instruments are made in Naples.
    https://youtu.be/erDKCUFru6o

The neck block is often part of the first part of...
  17. Re: So what do you do when....it's just not happening for you?

I think Olaf hits the nail on the head when he mentions focussing on the little things.
    When we hit a plateau it's often because we have the older, more basic, priorities done and have got used to...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: iPad Bluetooth page turners

I use the Airturn Duo 500 with both my iPad & iPad & OnSong, saves a lot of fiddly poking
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing with too much tension.

Having a list of body checks to run through before you play or between pieces is very useful.
    Not all at once, just checking in with yourself throughout your playing time.
    I ask my self how are...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Know of any musician retreat centers?

.... you know you want to really! Verily 'tis but a hop o'er the pond. :grin:
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Know of any musician retreat centers?

https://halswaymanor.org.uk/ Simon Mayor does some here https://halswaymanor.org.uk/event/simon-mayors-mandolin-masterclass-2023/ and the BBMG Summer School dive tails in with it...
  22. Re: Looking for: Pietrapertosa, Sérénade Napolitaine, 1894

Neil's post got me thinking about the various library collections I've searched in the past.
    The combined Italian libraries search shows a copy of score & mandolin part at the Santa Cecillia library...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Paper Lining for Bowl Back Mandolin

Some photos for illustration of Calace 1922 (parchment paper), Calmencita (Calace copy 1926 - satin liner), Stridente (parchment paper) techniques.
    Lining is glued in place after building the bowl...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Action Height/String Gauge Hand Health

As you're coming at it with all your technique history on guitar maybe look at how the German school of mandolin thinking approach the holding and playing of their instruments. You shouldn't need...
  25. Re: Looking for Beginner Cremonese/Bresciano Mandolin

Which country are you in?

It's a bit of a niche within a corner of another niche looking for Brescian / cremonese mandolins.

There aren't any at the moment, but Dave Hinds has had them in the...
Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 4