Search:

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Wound a-string?

The flattops use the wound A, the flatwound strings use a plain A.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Wound a-string?

That set is the “Flat Tops”, not flatwound. Very different string.
  3. Re: Why do L&H Model A, B, & C owners use TI mittels and not star

The tension of the D'Addario J-74's are;

E-23.2 A-19.2 D-23.3 G-25.1

The total tension of the Thomastik starks is 75.7 pounds. The total tension of the D'Addario J-74 medium is...
  4. Re: Why do L&H Model A, B, & C owners use TI mittels and not star

Lots of people often make this mistake is comparing flatwounds to roundwounds. When comparing in just gauge, it's not apples to apples. Comparison must be made in tension. TI Starks are actually...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: A new design F5 from Freedman Mandolins

It has a wonderful tone, but other than a slightly elongated scroll, what’s new about the design?
  6. Re: Flatiron 1N (The one that got away) and Northfield Calhoun

A few posts have mentioned Morris mandolins. They are great mandolins at a very good price, but they are not flat top mandolins. They are a arched, carved top.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastik-Infeld Strings

The TI Starks are actually a bit lighter tension than round wound mediums. I would go with the heavy for a Collings.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Info on J. Bovier mandolins, please

I have one of the first of the third generation A5 models that I purchased at the end of 2012, just as a Jeff was introducing the new instruments. Mine is actually one of the ones pictured on the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Stiff tuning pegs

You’re much better off using a dry lube. Tri-Flow and 3 in 1 both make a dry lube that works wonders. Machine oil stays wet a long time and can attract dirt and dust that will eventually just make...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: About my pick grip

I’ve never believed there is any “right” or “wrong” way to hold the pick. Just use whatever is the most efficient way to get the tone and speed you are trying to achieve. While I see lots of great...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Making an Eastman Sing

This is so true. I was fortunate enough to be on the list for both of the Travelling Pick Samplers. As anyone who has been part of that will agree, it is pretty cool to sit for hours and try dozens...
  12. Thread: V-picks

by mandobassman
    Replies
    Views

Re: V-picks

I see this over and over again in Blue Chip threads. People that spent two or three thousand dollars on a mandolin complaining about $35 for a pick. Be glad you don't play a quality violin. Top...
  13. Thread: V-picks

by mandobassman
    Replies
    Views

Re: V-picks

The difference between Blue Chip and V-Picks is night and day. Blue Chip has about the smoothest edge surface I have ever seen on a pick, while the V-Picks are very rough and inconsistent. Same with...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: The Pointless Mandolin

Aren’t A5’s already “pointless”? Anyway, it’s hard to tell how it really sounds. It seems loud but it’s obviously a very reverberant room, which can contribute to the illusion of volume. Doesn’t seem...
  15. Thread: Grommets

by mandobassman
    Replies
    Views

Re: Grommets

I bought some from a hardware store once, thinking they would work. However, they were a bit too large and too stiff. These from Elderly are the right thing for mandolin.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatwound mandolin strings

I used Thomastik for about 10 or so years and they would be on the mandolin between 1 to 1-1/2 years depending on how many gigs I had that year. Concerning the weight, it’s not that heavy is medium...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Strings for A 1

I have a ‘24 Gibson A that is in loan from a friend. I’ve had D’Addario EFW74 flatwound strings on it since I’ve had it. They sound great and the lighter tension is a plus for the mandolin.
  18. Re: Flatwound strings for acoustic mandolin w/ pickup?

I have heard so many people say that they are too quiet but I've always felt that it's just a perceived difference because of the difference in treble response. The brighter highs make the bronze...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Bills Pick

It may have been new to Bill but it was over 20 years old at that point and know one knows how heavy it was played up to that point. A good instrument can develop a pretty good voice in 20 years.
  20. Re: Flatwound strings for acoustic mandolin w/ pickup?

This is exactly my description of the two sets. I used the Thomastik strings for about 12 years before the D'Addario set came out. I loved the TI sound, but the D'Addario set is much closer to the...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Fake Gibson on eBay?

If that is a A-12 with a converted scroll, it’s not bad. However, someone said that the whole top was replaced because of the scroll ridge not present on a A-12 and I would agree.
    But never mind the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber Bighorn

A while ago I was reading a interview with a former Weber employee and he stated that the Bighorn was consistently their best sounding mandolin (or at least it was his favorite). I've only heard...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Wegen Pick

Not being fickle at all. It was well worth the cost. My beef was that he was doubling the normal price because by not creating the bevel it was eliminating one step of the process. Normally you...
  24. Re: BlueChip folks -look at this pic and tell me which one to try

The OP only asked about which BC model would match closest to the thickness and shape of the picks pictured. I don't recall him asking anyone's opinion about buying Blue Chip. I don't understand why...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield A5 Special

I really like the fact that builders are willing to try something different besides just copying Gibson exactly. It's good to see them experimenting with designs and giving buyers different voicing...
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4