Search:

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Carvin Double-neck electric Bass/Mandolin

We've missed ya.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Carvin Double-neck electric Bass/Mandolin

Bass is tuned in 4ths. EADG. The same as the 4 lowest strings of the guitar.
  3. Replies
    Views

Yeah, they had a store on "Guitar Row" on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood, just down the street from the original Guitar Center and across from the current one and the Sunset Grill that Don Henley sang...
  4. Replies
    Views

Not sure about Carver, but Carvin was a small but well established electric guitar and amp company that mostly sold direct to players. With lots of options, that meant that each guitar was almost a...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Adieu to a friend

Let them know that I will be more than happy to take Breedlove in and give it a good home. :))
  6. Replies
    Views

RIP Tony Rice

Seeing reports that Tony Rice passed away yesterday.

June 8, 1951 - December 25, 2020

Thus far the only link I can find is on Facebook.

More:

Wikipedia page
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Suddenly feeling old

Musicians from the 60's - 70's are old school - there's no real question there IMO. I think these were old when I was in High School (late 90's) haha....Now when I heard Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and...
  8. Replies
    Views

The trouble with getting old is you don’t get time to prepare for it!
  9. Replies
    Views

At age five, I felt old during the first day of kindergarten. At age eleven, I felt old as I threw folded newspapers on to porches as a new paperboy. At age seventeen, I felt old as I crept up the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Petrus! It's been a while. Glad to see to see you are still at it.

I have been enjoying this thread. From the start it has tickled me, as I mostly play 150+ year-old fiddle tunes on an acoustic...
  11. Replies
    Views

Bertram is correct. I feel like i was born old. I spend my life learning how to be old, how to talk without arguing, how to tell stories, how to dramatically remove my glasses, how to smoke a pipe,...
  12. Replies
    Views

Violin with Frets

I play the fretted violin and never looked back

I started learning the "devils instrument' at 50, I'm 53 now. Like everyone else, it sounded like I was killing a cat at first. Got better with a...
  13. Re: Tale of woe: Guitar Center and a blacktop snakehead

Verne, what the "fuss" is about is something that goes way beyond whether we get our money back or not. Vintage instruments are a finite resource. They just aren't making any more, right? Did you...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Character over practice?

The only thing that will make most people better musicians is to love playing music. Doesn't matter how 'round' you are, if you don't love doing what it takes to get better, you won't, IMHO.
  15. Re: Is the electric guitar dying, taking Gibson and others with i

Unfortunately, when it comes to a lot of rap that I hear being blared through car windows at stoplights, I can hear and understand what they're saying. And they ought to be ashamed of themselves. I...
  16. Re: New Kentucky KM-606 mandolins are in the wild!

Robert,
    Is that their stealth model? ;)
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Ever find a Loar at a flea market?

Fair price is whatever the seller is willing to take for it, and that has been the rule for thousands of years - quite literally since the invention of money. A buyer has no obligation,...
  18. Thread: What if?

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: What if?

That is a great point, and perhaps the most important point. I didn't think of it, but you are right on.

I don't have the kind of life where $200,000 can be tied up in a mandolin. Or to say it...
  19. Thread: What if?

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: What if?

I would never keep the Loar. Assuming it was not compromised and sounded good, I would play it for many months and take tons of pictures, but I would sell it at the first opportunity. I would then...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: eBay buyer and goods not received

Problem is that's not the default position under the UCC as far as I can tell. The default is FOB shipper.

In a retail trade this makes sense. Seller hands the item to you or your agent. You...
  21. Replies
    Views

Ebay and Paypal seems to error on the side of the buyer, to a fault. Almost always the seller eats it in my experience. I know a few business that do a lot of internet business and they will no...
  22. Replies
    Views

I don't know, but I can tell you that in my region both USPS *and* UPS have a longstanding habit of simply dumping things off on people's doorsteps without even knocking, then they drive off leaving...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Hazards of our trade

Blood glucose measurement?
  24. Re: Don’t Know If I’m Strong Enough To Talk About This Yet…

Petrus, I've wondered the same thing. With the proliferation of the "information superhighway", you'd think that people would be better informed and better educated than in the past. And in some...
  25. Thread: Set up?

by billhay4
    Replies
    Views

Re: Set up?

Petrus,
    (1) You should worry about intonation. Measuring is not enough for a variety of reasons -- slight errors in scale, slight errors in string action (changing action changes intonation), slight...
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4