Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Can an instrument be too good that it stunts your growth?

I posted this several years back, and I think it applies.

“I learned a long time ago when I was burning through inexpensive clarinets that a cheap instrument will almost always either play or...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: New Speaker Cabinet

Dang.

It looks like I killed another thread.
  3. Re: Why did you gravitate toward the electric side?

It’s interesting reading people’s history with this uncommon version of our instrument.

I played the clarinet through college, and then life happened. Music took a back seat. When things finally...
  4. Replies
    Views

Nice Little Wing Cover on Mandolin

Just as the thread title suggests, this kid does a really nice cover of Little Wing. Give it a listen.

https://youtu.be/Yl6FwpTm1PA
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Post your rig!

These two:

into this:

which then goes into this:
  6. Re: How do you justify a high end mandolin? Or do you?

I wrote this on the Cafe a while back:

I learned a long time ago when I was burning through inexpensive clarinets that a cheap instrument will almost always either play or sound cheap. I never...
  7. Re: Mandolins That Work Well With Extra Light Strings

I have a Flatiron 2MW pancake that seems like it was made for a light gauge set (34-24-14-10) of strings. The action does not need to be adjusted to accommodate these light strings, and the sound is...
  8. Re: ISO advice on pedals, chains, and boards

Hi Dave,

I run a Schwab 5-string through a pedal board. Before you "pull the trigger" on the ModTone, consider a Diamond compressor. In addition to a light or heavy squeeze, something magical...
  9. Re: Mixer for ipad, mic and digital recorder with a monitor

Can you use the Tascam as a microphone to send the signal to an iOS audio interface? If you can, then you might want to consider using the iPad as the recording device. The iPad--when used with apps...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: My homemade pedalboard

The Tremvelope is my favorite pedal.

When I was a woodwind player, I would vary the vibrato depending on the mood of the piece. I can do similar things with this tremolo pedal. It's a really...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: My homemade pedalboard

I run the board with two Voodoo Labs ISO 5 power supplies. I'm struggling to post the picture, so I hope the link takes you to the appropriate picture.
  12. Replies
    Views

My homemade pedalboard

I wanted something a little nicer for my home office, so I used some scrap oak and threw this thing together.

13. Re: Anyone who doesn't believe that instruments open up from play

I have noticed that my mandolins sound better the more I practice.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: I hope I did not overpay

My impressions:
    1.) This is a very well-constructed mandolin. The fit and finish are perfect, and the tone woods are beautiful.
    2.) After stringing it up, the intonation was easily set. The...
  15. Re: Pedals...Ones You Love, Ones You Hate, & Ones you Want!

I apologize for not answering to the intent of your original post, Mr. Goist.

The pedals I love are those that are first and foremost quiet. Even if a pedal creates some interesting sound-scapes,...
  16. Re: Pedals...Ones You Love, Ones You Hate, & Ones you Want!

A couple of pictures of my DIY pedal board.
    turbo tuner>Empress ParaEq>Diamond Compressor>Aria Distortion>Tremvelope>Flashback(alter ego) Delay>Hardwire Reverb
    The picture of the underside shows my...