Poor Richard's Blues Revisited

1. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    It's been a year since I started working on learning this tune. I finally learned it all the way through, then I just recently began learning a second variation similar to what Don Grieser did with it. I also wrote a guitar lead section, and eventually I plan to record this tune with lead mandolin, rhythm mandolin, lead guitar and rhythm guitar parts (aim high, LOL).

Anyway, here I am playing the mandolin parts with a canned backing track. It's apparent that I have to clean this up quite a bit yet, but I'm way proud of my progress so far. Enjoy!

2. belorsch
    belorsch
    Sounds great to this newbies ear.
  3. NEH57
    NEH57
    ...someones going to be signing you up !!
  4. sw**ts
    sw**ts
    Boy, that's just so pretty, Mark! Well done.

Jan
  5. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I know at some point soon I will be saying "Mark Gunter? Sure, I know him, we were Newbies together."

Mark, I really like what you are getting into. Your stuff has drive.
  6. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Wow, such great compliments, y'all made my day, thanks so much. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm going to keep plugging along. I showed this to Don Grieser via PM and he gave me some advice on what to work on to clean it up. The cafe can't be beat, and the newbies group really shines here.
  7. bbcee
    bbcee
    Mark, nice & solid, with a good, driving rhythm. Sounds pretty darn clean to me - do you mean that this pass is a melody guide for the instruments that will follow? I do that sometimes - play a "complete" take with the idea of replacing it with several, more sparsely-played, instruments.

Anyway, however you cut it (ha), this is excellent. Kudos.
  8. Swimbob
    Swimbob
    That was just awesome Mark. Great work!
  9. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Thanks bbcee & swimbob!

bbcee - no, this video will have nothing to do with the final cut. I'm recording this tune and some others, but I'm learning my recording studio DAW as I go, this will be the first one I've ever done. The last time I was practicing on mandolin, I decided to shoot this to share with newbies and with Don Grieser - I cranked the speed from 60 to 70 BPM and gave it a go. It's very much "unclean" to my ears.

The tune has three parts: AA BBB -bridge- CC and in this video, I am playing AA BBB -bridge- CC AA BBB -end- on mandolin (Don Grieser's variations on A & B parts on second pass) The part I'm calling a bridge (& ending) is the line that shifts to Eb and ends with harmonics, after the third B repetition.

To record this, I did play the tune through start to finish with mandolin in my DAW software, it looks like this:
    AA BBB -bridge- CC AA BBB -bridge- CC AA BBB -end-

The bold parts are going to be mandolin lead. The middle will be replaced with guitar lead. I have recorded rhythm guitar track all the way through. I plan to add mandolin rhythm as well, at least in the middle section.

Just having fun with this! But the video here is just a practice fooling around, not the actual cut.
  10. Timmy Josh
    Timmy Josh
    Sounds good! Can't wait until I can play like that!
  11. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Thanks Timmy Josh! It just takes time and a lot of practice, this tune is way above my comfort level. I just like to push my comfort zone to learn tunes that I like the sound of. What's really humbling is that Sam Bush wrote this tune when he was 16 or 17 years old. He was 17 when they first recorded it, and I'll never be able to play it like that.

Anyone interested in learning this one can get the tab from mandozine: http://www.mandozine.com/music/table...es-Gm-Bush.tef
  12. Bonniej
    Bonniej
    Wow Mark! Great job! I really liked it!
    Bonnie
  13. Timmy Josh
    Timmy Josh
    I know what you mean Mark. Sam Bush and many others have special talents when it comes to their learning ability. People like us love it just the same but it doesn't come as easy but I think the reward comes from understanding that and still enjoy it. There's a kid in my church that I taught his first chord on guitar and it two years he could play circles around me. At first I was jealous but once I figured out he was one of those people I learn to appreciate him instead. Very humbling!!
  14. RandyC
    RandyC
    Sounds great to me Mark. Far better than I can play at this stage of my game.
  15. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Bonnie, Timmy, Randy - I'm glad y'all like it, thanks for the feedback.
  16. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Mark, I love it also. I noticed that you have good control of your pinky on this tune. I mention this as my mission now is to get my pinky finger involved with the rest of my hand. So most of my practice routine now is with tunes going up the neck. Or , at least a few frets past the 5th fret.

Btw , good reminder that we (I) need to push my comfort zone to grow and develop.
  17. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Thanks Larry!
  18. Groundcoat
    Groundcoat
    Wow. That was nice. Great job!