Hugh O'Donnell (O'Carolan)

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I have probably been playing this tune for about a year now, trying to get an acceptable version recorded. It's a tricky little tune but one that is quite rewarding if you can master the subtleties of playing it correctly. I'm not sure I'm there yet but there are no glaring mistakes in this one, so I'm gonna go with it. More polished version to come later.

Weber Mandola
    Forster Cittern turned down a whole step to CFCGC,
    Double Bass
    Organ

2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    This is one of those O'Carolan tunes that seem to have an endless melody, organically growing with each bar into a creature of magnificent beauty! I'm sure it's tricky to play, but it sounds beautiful the way you play it.

Are you familiar with Robin Bullock's version from his "Majesty and Magic" album? Although I don't think your version needs any more work, his arrangement may give you some ideas if you want to work it up further.
  3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    EDIT: accidental double post
  4. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I am familiar with Robin Bullock backing Chris Norman on Hugh O'Donnell, is that the same version that's on "Majesty & Magic"?
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    This one has a magnificently brisk stride to it. Sounds like the missing link between Italian O'Carolan and Three Sea Captains
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    The Chris Norman version is different. You can hear a little clip of the Robin Bullock solo version on https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/robinbullock5.
  7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That was some impressive playing there Dennis, I wouldn't even attempt this one on fingerstyle guitar, especially at that speed. My hope is to play it faster and add some ornaments somewhere down the road.

Bertram, I too see it as a missing link to the more Irish sounding tunes, especially when played faster than I play it. Derek Bell of The Chieftains has a really brisk version on his "Carolan's Favorite" album under the title "Aedh Ó Domhnaill".
  8. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    David, that is wonderful! Very enjoyable to listen to, nice mellow and relaxing, good foot-tapping rhythm yet peaceful at the same time.
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    David, please don't misunderstand my intention. First, I believe that competing with Robin Bullock is quite beyond mere mortals. Second, you know how much I like your playing, and your current version is great and needs no further work in my opinion. But, third, if you are looking for some inspiration for ornaments, I wanted to recommend the Majesty and Magic version as a showcase of melodic variations and ornaments.

If I ever manage to play this tune at all, I'll post it here.
  10. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Nice recording... makes me yearn for a mandola.