January Tune Project

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Sleet
    Sleet
    New year, new tune. Following the Song a Week Social Group, next up is Salt Creek. Also sometimes called Salt River, but not the same as Salty River Reel! One again, Baron has a lesson here: http://www.mandolessons.com/lessons/...nes/salt-creek. It's another tune with many variations and I look forward to seeing what the newbies come up with.
  2. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Delete
  3. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Salt Creek huh. I have a version in my music binder already. Hehe. From Andy Statman book. Have not looked at this for several months. Guess I will take her for a spin around the wood shed and see what I have.
  4. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I learned it on guitar a year or so back. Looking forward to learning a mandolin version!
  5. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Grrrrr. I should have known that Andys version would be a challenge. So I looked for others I might have. Lo and behold, I found a Steve Kaufman version. Grrrrr again. This has the B part playing up the neck. But, he shows the fingerings for it. As a bonus , Steve includes a beginner and intermediate version. So I am going to work with both Andys piece and Steve. I have been starting to look up the neck a bit so this is good for me. Thanks Sleet. (I think ).
  6. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Giddy Up !!
  7. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Giddy up is right. I worked on it again this morning while at a grocery warehouse. Steve ' s version sounds good, if not at speed. Andy version will be next. And it is a fun song to play.
  8. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Mandozine.com has a bunch of versions, most of which are way out there. Like a dueling Chris Thiele, Mike Marshall back and forth battle to the death. The few that I considered flirt with a high C# up on the 9th fret. At first I rejected them, but later decided it was time to try shifting up to grab that C#. The version I chose has a very easy shift up there and back, so I guess it will be a good one for me to get my feet wet with.

We'll see. I like the tune.

edit: adding the following musicological comment.
    Salt Creek is an example of a tune in the mixolydian mode. Most if not all versions I found were written in the key of A, but every occurrence of the note G was as a G natural, not a G sharp. This is a dead giveaway even if the sound of the tune isn't. Baron C-H, over at mandolesson.com, actually writes out his pdf score in the key of D which is fine but it doesn't sound like D major, it sounds like some kind of minor something or other. But the core melody of his version is note for note the same as the versions written in A. The "A mixolydian" scale is, by definition, an A Major scale with a flatted 7th. And if you flat the seventh note, the scale uses all the notes that are found in a D major scale. So if you write the score in the key of D, you don't have to bother showing those pesky 'natural' symbols next to the G notes.

yeah, I know, ... TMI. Just play it and enjoy the bluesy minory funky sound.
  9. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Hank. I am going up the neck to grab the 9th fret also. Good lesson for me learning to shift into 3rd position. I have no musicology comments at this time , however, I am enjoying the music.
  10. fifths
    fifths
    I guess I'll dive in then..I've been working on Baron's version of this for a couple of months, since I heard it at a jam and added it to my list of tunes to massacre.

The A to D string switch in the first section has been tripping me up forever. I drilled those couple of measures for several minutes this morning and it has smoothed out a bit.

I love the momentum of this tune, it always makes me play it a little bit faster than I should..I also wore my finest flannel to make HonketyHank jealous.

11. fifths
    fifths
    If watching me up Salt Creek without a paddle left a weird taste in your mouth here's the antidote: Chris Thile and a very gifted young girl paddling down that same creek in style:
  12. Sleet
    Sleet
    Fifths, sounds great. Love the sound you're getting from your mandolin. Thanks for jumping in. Flannel isn't mandatory, but always appreciated. That child is talented, isn't she? Glad she's not playing in the Newbie sandbox. I'd have to take my toys and go home.
  13. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Nice picking, fifths! I like your technique, your tone, and your instrument. Have you posted any pics of that mandolin? Looks like a nice flat top.

At a second glance, looks like maybe the top is canted?
  14. fifths
    fifths
    Thanks Sleet and Mr. Gunter! As I said I've been working on this for some time now, so I have a big headstart.
    Instrument is a 1929 Martin Style B that I bought locally (from the cafe classifieds). 13" scale, flat fretboard, beautifully made, and with a unique sound. And yes, a canted top. It pairs up with the 3 1920's Martin ukes I've been playing for a while. When I saw how clean it was, I could not resist....photo: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...hmentid=146697
    I find it to be great sound for playing solo or with one or two guitars (which I wish I could do more), but for a big public jam, it's too easy to scratch the top when really digging for volume, as the strings are not elevated. But enough about equipment.
    I look forward to saltier versions of this month's tune from you both!

Fly the Flannel!
  15. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I've worked out my own version based on the guitar version I play, which was inspired by Doc Watson's version - of course neither my guitar or mandolin version sounds like Doc, but he was the inspiration. Once I get comfortable with what I put together I'll record it - maybe even before January is over,
  16. BJ O'Day
    BJ O'Day
    Here is my take on "Salt Creek". Again I learned it on Baron's Mandolesson site. This was with a metronome set at 100. If I can speed it up I'll rerecord and repost it.
  17. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    nice and clean and smooth BJ good job. What is your mando?
  18. BJ O'Day
    BJ O'Day
    Steve,
    It's a Morris flat-top. Morris is in Irrigon, Oregon. He occasionally lists mandolins in the classifieds here.
    BJ
  19. Sleet
    Sleet
    BJ, do you work with a metronome, or does that steadiness come naturally? Very nice. I'm sticking with Baron on this one too. I seem to remember that some are chasing the tune up the neck, but I plan to remain at the safer altitudes.
  20. BJ O'Day
    BJ O'Day
    Sleet,
    I usually only use a metronome during practice. I used it for this video because the tune is still pretty new for me. I was wearing headphones to keep it off the audio. I practice using a metronome once or twice a week.
    BJ
  21. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    BJ , I like your rendition of Salt Creek. And as others , said very smooth and clean. That Morris sure has a nice tone. I have been looking at the Morris ' s in the classified with a bit of MAS. I am just a little concerned about the shape of the neck and flat board after my agony with a Washburn. But .......

I've been working this song and trying to get the kinks out. Today I played with the Steve Kaufman version along with his Cd and was pleased to be able to stay with the beginner version. About 110 bpm. Then I pushed the metronome up and found that I was breaking down when I hit 125. Good at 120 not so clean above that. Steve ' s version has me playing the E string up to C# back to A then up to B before hitting the C# again. Definitely a good exercise for this kid.

Have to confess that I am also working on "Keep on the Sunnyside" and "Wildwood Flower"
  22. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Good job, BJ. Nice and clean and clear.
  23. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Nice video BJ, strong and clear with a good steady rhythm. Looks like you're doing everything right, I admire your progress.
  24. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Not very sweet but maybe a little salty ~

(And yes, that's my heart beating out stage fright in the beginning )

25. bbcee
    bbcee
    Fifths, really nice. Sounds like you just sat down & banged it out. Plus that Martin is just great.

Nice & steady, BJ. I echo Mark that you're progressing really well.

Great stuff, Mark! The version, the syncopations, it's all working for me. Well done!!
  26. Sleet
    Sleet
    Nice personal interpretation, Mark. You always add something special. Are you providing your own backup?
  27. BJ O'Day
    BJ O'Day
    Mark,
    I love the way you put life into the tune.
    BJ
  28. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Mark, awesome job man. Love it
  29. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Very nice Mark. Your arrangement is awesome. It fits you well and you show it off in a great way.
  30. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Mark. Pretty sweet version you picked my friend. Kinda bluesy feel to it. What are you doing for a backup ? Is that a little guitar riff going ?
    Larry
  31. fifths
    fifths
    BJ, well done! rock steady.
    Mark, I too like the different feel you have going. The melody is all there but somehow it's melodic in a different way?
    Anyhow, well done!
  32. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Thanks everybody. Sleet, Larry - the backup is the strummachine site backup that I'm using for practicing tunes.
  33. NEH57
    NEH57
    Having joined so as to be able to 'develop', I need to participate, so......here goes. I don't have a 'feel' for Bluegrass ( which this may or may not be ? ) My fingers trip over themselves still and my numbers issue can make multiples of notes a bit random until I get the feel of things. If I get any better before the end of the month I'll have another go.
    Prefer (need) pointed criticism - by PM if needs be and I am seen to have identifiable issues that need resolving which I may well as no one apart from my wife ( who held the phone ) has witnessed such strangling of a tune before!
  34. NEH57
    NEH57
    A standing up version with same mistakes in pretty much the same places....
  35. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    NEH57, you did a great job, enjoyable listening. You've got a sense of timing no doubt, and that is the most crucial thing about playing any instrument. Also, your notes are crisp and clear, and the mandolin has good volume.

No pointed criticism here (is your pick sharply pointed?), but some suggestions about the picking technique. You may have a little too much tension in the forearm, wrist and hand. Not much motion, and the pick strokes are varied (direction is varied) quite a bit if my eyes do not fail me. It may be good to work on right hand rhythm, using alternating pick strokes and keeping a rock-solid up and down beat with the right hand. Once the tune is memorized and internalized, it may pay to concentrate on this right hand rhythm and alternate picking technique.

Very good job, hope to see more from you here!
  36. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Very good first shot at a video, NEH. I like the standing version even better. I think it is smoother and more connected. Anyway, it is all easy from here on out. Well, not really, but making a video is a big step. I can testify that a month's worth of learning can disappear in a flash while the camera is recording.
  37. NEH57
    NEH57
    Cheers both.....firstly, going 'public. Even if only via a video, it is a definite arm tensioner, as you will all know and a major causation of 'tripping up' at the changes, which, with the camera off......and wife not standing 3 feet away pointing it at me, were considerably less frequent. But, the biggest 'but' is the stiff arm, lack of freedom in the right hand, pick direction issue and I know it is there.

In 'slow'.....slooooooow mode I can get picking direction right & I do understand it as a principal, but it is no where near 'first' let alone second nature yet. Sometimes I get it, and it leaves me in the right place for the next note, but often I have to try to make up for it by going the 'wrong way', or too fast to get back where I should be and mess up the timing/sound. Some of my tendency to be 'tight' comes I think from not wanting to hit 'other' strings which is a bit of an issue for someone wanting to get into double stops! I see people flowing over what looks like 'all' the courses with their hand / pick but only hitting the pair they want on the way 'up' or down and thinking how the heck do they do that ? so I tend to stick to the 1/4" around what I want to hit for now.

But.....in my relative geographical isolation, that's why I am here - to get guidance.

I'll take it all on board - along with any other advice that comes this way.
  38. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    NEH57, playing to the camera is intimidating, that's one of the things that makes it a good practice routine similar to playing with a live audience and you rocked it! Seriously great job.
  39. Sleet
    Sleet
    Good job, NEH57. The standing video seemed more relaxed to me, but I think you've got the timing and feel for the tune. I'm glad you joined in. I like to think that my less polished videos will encourage other newbies to jump in. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
  40. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I did a one take recording of Salt Creek today. Normally I keep doing retakes until I get one that I can live with, but this time I just rolled the dice and accepted the result as is.

The main thing I am working on with this tune is not the tune itself - I am trying to improve my right hand technique. You'll notice that I am playing over the fretboard. This does produce a pleasing tone quality, but it requires a very shallow picking stroke to avoid bouncing the pick off the fretboard. You will certainly hear a lot of pick click going on, but the more I practice up there above Florida, or even Georgia, the less click I get.

Focusing on right hand technique, though, is killing other aspects. Normally I don't really think about my right hand and I focus on my left hand or on where I am in the tune (did I repeat that A part yet? Do I start over or do I repeat the B?) or on where is the beat? All these things suffer when I devote brain time to my picking stroke. I just don't multitask very well.

So here it is warts and all. At least the mandolin is pretty. The arrangement is by Stangeland at mandozine.com.

41. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Here's my submission for this month's song. I'm still struggling with getting clean notes out of my E string and being consistent with placing my fingers and speed. I've been working on FFcP to help with my pinky and it's made a huge improvement.
    Looking forward to next month's SOTM

https://vimeo.com/200771657

42. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Nice job, H & Ells. Otto (can I call you Ells?) you're nice and steady and have a great tone. H, your right hand work is admirable, and I especially like the credits at the end. Your good humor here is always good for a smile and the instruments you play are always fun to see and hear. I wondered if you were miked or plugged in because of the crackle, must be the squeaky chair and pick click I heard.

Good job guys, thanks for sharing!
  43. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Thanks Mark. The mic is only the one bundled with the Logitech webcam, which is not a great mic. But in fact it was good enough to pick up the pick clicks and chair noise. I am surprised it didn't pick up the brain toots, but unfortunately it did pick up the after effects thereof.

Otto, two things stand out to me - one is your driving rhythm: you really let your right hand motor engage and take over. The other is that you know the tune down to muscle memory levels, not just in your head. I don't think you strayed from it at any point. That is hard for me. I get to thinking about what's coming up or what I just did and all of a sudden my left hand fingers take a wrong turn even though I KNOW the darn tune. Good job indeed, Otto.
  44. bbcee
    bbcee
    HH, I liked the arrangement you're playing. Nice note choice. Otto, you didn't seem to have any red light fever at all, you dog!! Equal with committing a tune to memory is to then play it in front of that infernal eye. Good work, both of you.
  45. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Otto that was real nice.
  46. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Thank you all, can't thank you all enough for being a part of this group. It's a nice little motivational factor to keep playing everyday.
  47. Sleet
    Sleet
    Hoping to post before the internet bugs out again. My January video:

Otto, nice pace and accuracy. Great!

Hank, I like the way you find and create interesting arrangements. Good job on taking it up the neck.
  48. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Hey Sleet, that sounds (and looks) a lot freer than your previous video. Your strong rhythm is an asset too. Good job.

Your shirt looks very similar to one of mine. Columbia sportswear fisherman's shirt? My honeypie gave me mine for Christmas and I really like it. And I don't even fish.
  49. Sleet
    Sleet
    Thanks, Hank. Let's see: the shirt was a gift from my step-daughter, Boston Trader's brand, and all my fish comes from the frozen food aisle.
  50. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Kudos on a tune well done, Sleet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast