February Tune Project

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Sleet
    Sleet
    February's tune is another oldy but goody - Liberty.

Once again, Baron provides a lesson on this tune http://www.mandolessons.com/lessons/...tunes/liberty/ and there are several other lessons and examples on YouTube, so find or invent a favorite and let's see what we can come up with this month.
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Liberty! Good tune. I wish I had the skills to do it like I first heard it - on a Dillards LP (if you know what that is you are old). Maybe it was The Dillards Live!. Anyway, I have that one sorta done already so this'll give me a chance to repolish it somewhat.
  3. bbcee
    bbcee
    Me too, I worked on this one a lot in December. Look forward to some good contributions!
  4. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Here is what I WANT to be able to do by the end of the month:

On the other hand, I'll be happy with a lot less.

This LP album is the first time I ever heard the tune. I thought it was pure bluegrass, probably written by Doug Dillard. But it is found in Ireland and according to thesession.org, it is "Also known as Liberty Reel, Liberty Hornpipe, The Liberty Hornpipe, Liberty Two-Step, The Liberty Two-Step, The Liberty, The Preacher And The Racoon, Racoon And Possum, Racoon And Preacher, The Racoon And The Parson, Racoon And The Possum, The Racoon And The Posum, Racoon And The Preacher, The Racoon And The Preacher, Reel De Ti-Jean, Ti-Jean, Tipsy Parson, The Tipsy Parson."

The versions given at thesession.org are so similar to the bluegrass and old timey versions I have heard, it almost makes me wonder if maybe this tune started in America and crossed the Atlantic back to Ireland. I don't think it sounds very much like a traditional Irish reel, other than being AABB and maybe the right number of measures, but I'm no expert.

Anyway, I have always liked the tune. I first learned it from Baron Collins-Hill at mandolessons. But I may try to use some of the other versions I have found.
  5. belorsch
    belorsch
    So I was starting to learn to play this tune. It would be first not only here but first song period. Well I was reading some stuff on line last night and came across buzzing and how raising the action would help. Well I tried that tonight and noticed the action wasn't budging so I figured I might have to loosen the strings. Apparently I went the wrong way on an E string and it snapped. So thus goes my newbie learning experience for February. I will have to go buy some replacement strings and figure out how to install those for the first time and get my instrument tuned from that. I may be ready for the March tune
  6. Sleet
    Sleet
    Hank, "I'll be happy with a lot less" certainly describes where I'm at. It does seem that all the versions I've found are very similar. The musical DNA seems strong, but I've thought it had English roots, though maybe it did cross the other way.

Sympathy, belorsch. Those e strings do not like to be pushed too far. I keep some spares because of my dyslexic attempts at tuning. Hope you are back in business soon.
  7. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I have found references to an English tune called Little John's Reel that is said to be derived from Liberty (as opposed to vice versa) but I can not find that tune anywhere on the web (yet). All those AKA names above look suspiciously North American, including "Ti' Jean" (I suspect that Ti' Jean is Canadian French for Little John - ie, Petite Jean).
  8. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Hey Belorsch: Welcome to the bunch. Those e-strings are just literally 'high strung'. I, too, keep a supply of extras. I buy them on-line from JustStrings.com.

One thing I have learned is that if you break e-strings often while tuning, it could well be that your nut slots need some set-up work. Just a little bit of extra friction at the nut can lead to a lot of extra tension between the nut and the tuning post as you raise the pitch. If you haven't done so already, search in the main forum for Rob Meldrum's thread on mandolin set-up to find instructions on how to get a free pdf copy of his book.
  9. belorsch
    belorsch
    Thanks Hank. I went out and bought a set of J74's before coming into work today. I will try and search out that thread tonight. However I have had the mandolin 3 years now and this is my first time changing strings. It hasn't seen much action which I plan on changing. Posted from my phone please forgive typos.
  10. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Belorsch, maybe this video will help when you get ready to do this:

11. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    there was a thread on here that led to a link on changing strings that actually changed the way I change guitar strings (and I've been changing guitar strings for 40 years) http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...dostring3.html. 3 years is a loooong time for one set of strings. :D. I change 3 or 4 times a year. Oh and Hank I enjoyed the technical skills necessary for the dillards to play at that speed, but too fast. I find this song prettier at a little slower tempo. (and I'm not sure I can even play at that tempo).
  12. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Yeah, the Dillards' version is way out there. This one might be better as an example, but it is a little fast, too.

Of course, Baron Collins-Hill's video breaks everything down to something closer to my level.
  13. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    yes! that's the tempo I heard in my head, but
  14. belorsch
    belorsch
    Ok, I'm hoping the buzzing I was hearing was due to the age of the strings then. I don't really have the money at this time to for a professional setup if I botch the job. The guy I bought it used from said it had been set up.
  15. bbcee
    bbcee
    Here's my clamful submission for the month. More than that, the tempo is unsteady - I was going between a 70 BPM version & this 60 BPM version - I can hear me trying to gun the engine.

I hit a mental block on this - it's like take 4857 - but wanted to get a version posted to break the ice. Enough excuses!

16. Sleet
    Sleet
    Nice work, bbcee. There are some cool variations in your version. I like it and thought it sounded pretty sweet.
  17. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Love it bbcee
  18. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I do like it. You make that mandolin ring very nicely. And your shift down to the G and D string made me do a double take. I had not heard that before and it made me say Wow right out loud. I may steal that for future use.
  19. Bonniej
    Bonniej
    Very nice!
  20. RandyC
    RandyC
    Great job!
  21. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Let's hear some more submissions!!
  22. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I'll probably never really be ready, but I'm really not ready.
  23. yves74
    yves74
    Very nice bbcee!
  24. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Here's my run of it as of right now. I had a brain fart in the beginning and I'm trying to improve on double stops right now. So I've tried throwing some in on this tune. Hoping by the end of the month to pick up the tempo. So far everyone's submission has been spot on, nice work to all of you.

So here it is: https://vimeo.com/203054343

25. bbcee
    bbcee
    Sounds really good, Ellsdemon - nice pace and I like your note choice a lot. The double stops give it good dynamics in the right places as well.
  26. Sleet
    Sleet
    Nice job, Otto. Solid pace and the double stops sound good. You get a real old-time sound from your mandolin that fits with the tune.
  27. RandyC
    RandyC
    Nice job Ellsdemon. I agree the double stops are a great addition. I am getting close to recording my version. No double stops though, I am not up to that yet.
  28. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Nice playing Otto, the doublestops give a little extra dimension and the rhythm is very good. Nice clear notes too.
  29. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Good job, Otto.
  30. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Hey folks, I think I may have stumbled onto something interesting. At mandozine.com there are several versions of Liberty. One of those is named "Pinkie Exercise - Liberty". It is not at all difficult and it has some interesting features. But I always wondered about the title - you can play the whole thing without use of the pinkie. Huh? Yep - nothing above the 5th fret and it's in good old D Major. Why is it a "Pinkie Exercise"?

Today, it dawned on me. Just play the tune, as written, without use of your index finger. So your middle finger takes over the job normally done by your index finger, ring finger covers for the middle finger, and pinkie assumes the work of the ring finger. It is a fun exercise. I presume the next step is to move the tune up two frets into the key of E and play 'up the neck'.

On rereading this I remembered that finger names are somewhat idiomatic, so:

Index finger = 1st finger, finger closest to thumb.
    Middle finger = 2nd finger, long finger.
    Ring finger = 3rd finger, finger for wedding ring (on left hand) in the US.
    Pinkie = 4th finger, little finger, finger farthest from thumb.
  31. NEH57
    NEH57
    Excellent Otto.....I am inspired to get on and get an 'entry' in. A bad back has curtailed my practice/learning for the last couple of weeks. Fingers don't seem to be where they were before ! or if they are they aren't working the same.

Mending now (hopefully) so will 'get on with it'....
  32. fifths
    fifths
    Here's mine. This is the first I've participated in that I learned from scratch, it's as steady as it's going to get. I got myself a Golden Gate pick that has a drastically different feel and sound, and it's throwing me off a little, but in a good way.

It's a martial kind of a tune, kind of a fife and drum vibe. Great to see the other entries too. Nice work bbcee and ellsdemon!
    https://youtu.be/TDECHgsD5CM

Peter
  33. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Nice job on a nice sounding Martin, fifths. I like the hornpipey swing and the kinda-strummy-kinda-doublestoppy-kinda-droney stroke that starts the phrases. (That is an official musical term, by the way -- old italian, it might not be in every dictionary.)
  34. fifths
    fifths
    Hank, your Italian is very impressive! thanks. The single notes sounded so lonely, I tried to borrow some notes from the chords that would be there if..well if there was someone playing them. Most of the notes were friendlies..
  35. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Good cut, fifths, you're feelin' it! I finally got around to trying this one this morning myself, using Baron's sheet music from mandolessons.com

I had fun playing around with this using some chords and doublestops (I felt the same about the lonely notes), it's a fun tune and makes my day to watch the videos you guys are posting. Hope I can learn something from y'all.
  36. bbcee
    bbcee
    Really great, fifths, you've upped the ante on this one! What a good version, and I'll bet there's more to come.

This has been an inspiring month!
  37. Sleet
    Sleet
    Loved the swing and double stops Peter. My notes are fated to be lonely onlys, and are jealous of your more congenial ones. I also feel this has a "life and drum" vibe, and not out of place should one be attired in a tricorn hat.
  38. fifths
    fifths
    Thanks very much for your kind comments, Mark, bcee, and Sleet. I'm not going to try to pretend it doesn't thrill me to have you folks to share this challenge with, and to imagine that someone out there is listening to my mando flailing! go newbs!
  39. yves74
    yves74
    Nice version Fifth! I too like your chords. Inspiring. I cut my finger last week, so practising is a bit painful at the moment, but your video is definitely inspiring. See if i can send something in next week.
  40. soliver
    soliver
    Love this song gang, ... this song along with Soldiers Joy and Over the Waterfall make a great medley once they are all in D... good stuff!
  41. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Great job, guys!
  42. NEH57
    NEH57
    I am arriving late. As usual.....camera, light's, inaction. Feel's good to lay down a marker and hopefully get a better one in before March marches in.
  43. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Bravo! Thanks for sharing, NEH57
  44. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Wow, you have been busy. Two videos in one night. Keep them coming. Good job.
  45. NEH57
    NEH57
    I had the undivided attention of my cameraman & 'manager' for 5 minutes....my youngest lad, who has more patience than my better half and manages to press 're-wind' without the 'tut's
    I had been hoping to follow your lead, Hank but I'm guessing you are still working up to that Dillard's "lick" !....I would need someone else's fingers and another lifetime (or two) to get anywhere near that !
    I have another little 'project' on the go now to compete with 'plinking'.....some 'planking' !! to bring an oldie back to life. A head which has achieved 'Liberty' from it's neck !

A challenge not a chore, a bit like practising these new tunes and if I can get it 'right', it will be worth all the time and effort.
  46. bbcee
    bbcee
    I knew you'd get one in before month's end, NEH57! Thanks for sharing this, and good job.

Looks like "spline times ahead" for you and your liberated mando!!
  47. NEH57
    NEH57
    ....I have been encouraged to go with a 'scarf' / back-strap hybrid. It's quite a lot more work but hopefully will lead to a better fix.
    That or lot's of
  48. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I am quite surprised at the nature of the break. I have seen many eBay pictures of 'non functional' and 'project' instruments that have snapped at or near the nut, but none that looked like this. Do you know how it broke? Everything I have seen showed splitting with the grain, this one looks like it broke cleanly across the grain.

Guillotine?
  49. NEH57
    NEH57
    No Hank, no idea. It is an old 'wound', 1950's/60's old possibly. Maybe even '40's. The current fix is/was a 2 1/2" well rusted wood screw ! and some filler.
    There is a narrow 'dink' on the neck a little closer to the body - a linear one - I think it could have caught the edge of a table or something solid. I have shown it to a couple of the more experienced builder/repairers and they say it is an unusual break. I think it could be an accident of nature in that it is just the way the grain was (unfortunately) at the point where the nut is.
  50. belorsch
    belorsch
    Great job all. I hope to get a submission in here one of these months but right now I'm just gonna struggle with a basic tune.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast